Author Topic: Oriel - Crunwere  (Read 14234 times)

Offline 77777

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Oriel - Crunwere
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 October 11 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Smeni - I am from Crunwere (!) but there is no-one better to give you Oriel family info than Orielbenfo who is the authority on the family.
James77 - do a post again back here and then you can p.m. whoever you want.

Thank you Crunwere. I have more information now and I am related to the Oriels of Crunwere - I am not quite sure what the connection is yet though. Garnass Farm, Garnass Mill and Underhill Farm are some of the places I have heard about.

I am looking forward to seeing Orielbenfro's book.
Oriel, James, Tucker, Skiff, Hallett

Offline Crunwere

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 October 11 14:06 BST (UK) »
Some old pics of
Garness Farm - http://llantegthenandnow.blogspot.com/search/label/Garness (now no longer there - if I have it correct the one-time owners - not Oriels - had a new property built with a better view, but a planning condition was that they had to demolish the old house)

Garness Mill - http://llantegthenandnow.blogspot.com/search/label/Garness%20Mill

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 October 11 14:40 BST (UK) »
Nice to see you are back in country, any chance of the document photocopies and jpeg copies you promised me all that time ago.

Ariel was the son of William & Rosanna Oriel nee' Pillinger and was born 22 Jun 1877 quite lightly at Nbr 6 Pryce Street Llanwonno, although the family moved across the road to Nbr 9 prior to the 1881 census.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 October 11 15:08 BST (UK) »
my family descended from the Oriels of Caldey Island
Looking at the names of your interest, I presume you are related to George Henry James who mrd the 2 Oriel sisters Ann and Sarah.
With reference to the Tuckers it is quite lightly that you are also related to the Oriel's via the mrge of Llewellyn Tucker who mrd Elizabeth Oriel in Pembroke. The location of their house in the late 18th century was on what is now the gates to the main door of Pembroke St Mary Church.

We have just held a "James" Day at Redberth Schoolroom, where I was able to display just a very small part of my research on the Oriel's, if my guess at your relationship is correct Ann & Sarah where the daughters of William, better known as "Billy the Gate", he was the Crunwere shoerepairer, Tollgate keeper, Village Schoolmaster, and pushed his wife around the village in a basket invalid chair all posts held at the same time, he also had a couple of fields behind the toll gate (now Esso Garage) and would later call himself a "Corn Merchant", would return to the village to become the 1st resident of "York House"
Billy the Gate was the son of Thomas who had been born at Underhill Farm, the farm still exists in its original setting and is owned by a director of St Fagans. We appear to have given up the fam with the will of James Oriel of 1812.
Garness Farm (which covered the Mill) was in the possession of the Oriel's from before at least 1725 and left the family in 1973, the Mill was sold to a different James Family in 1868. The mill still exists and parts of the mill stones, the farm has long gone, but I do have original photo's.
The last haymaking was also in 1973 done by Freddie, I am lucky to have a photo of the event.
The book referred to is not a book as such and comes no where near the efforts of “Crunwere” and the 6 volumes of Llanteg history. The “book” started out as a 1 page article for the Dyfed FHS journal back in 1980-82, I updated it extensively after being nagged by Crunwere for an exhibition I was fortunate to attend in the village, and it was then updated again to include far more from up the valleys and to include far more photo’s and separate family trees in 2003.
My collection on the Oriel family currently runs to 5 separate volumes of various documents 1482 to 2008 and 2 volumes of photographs of people and places from 1813 to 2000. I am always open to more, so whilst I give the book thingy away quite freely, I do live in hope of receiving any non-personal/private documents or photo’s that relate to any Oriel family connection, alas such returns for the book are very rare indeed.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
1946-2015

Offline 77777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 October 11 15:40 BST (UK) »
Some old pics of
Garness Farm - http://llantegthenandnow.blogspot.com/search/label/Garness (now no longer there - if I have it correct the one-time owners - not Oriels - had a new property built with a better view, but a planning condition was that they had to demolish the old house)

Garness Mill - http://llantegthenandnow.blogspot.com/search/label/Garness%20Mill

Thank you very much
Oriel, James, Tucker, Skiff, Hallett

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 October 11 20:51 BST (UK) »
Some old pics of

Thank you very much

When Ken Hamilton got permission to build the new house at Garnass it was part of planning that the old one should be demolished, it never happened. When I stayed with Ken was when I obtained the photo's of the old house and the outbuildings that was the farm pre the court case of 1800. Ken suggested iI might be interested in buying the old farm house, but at the time I did not know the planning consent restriction and thankfully did not have the cash anyway to buy, much as I would have liked to keep the farmstead in the Oriel family. It was a great pity it was lost to the family after at least 250 years occupation by the same family.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
1946-2015

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 October 11 21:17 BST (UK) »
my family descended from the Oriels of Caldey Island
Rose Ellen Oriel born 13 Apr 1866 dau of David & Martha Oriel Farm Baliff of Caldey, Rose was named after the late wife of either the Hawkesley or Kynaston family owners of Caldey (I can’t quite remember which, but can soon look it up if required)
Rose mrd Charlie Victor Burn a sailor from Devon and lived at 3 St John’s Hill Tenby.

Rose was one of the many Oriel’s baptised established church and later converted to Baptist at Deer Park Tenby.

Sister to David Oriel (Farm Baliff) was Jane Oriel mrd George Sinnett  asuccssfull Coal Merhcant of Tenby and resided at Worcester House Tenby now a hotel on the Esplande, I have an advert for the house. Their son George tried to get out of service during W.W.1 by saying his job as a jockey was far to important to the local landed gentry, he was told all nags where to far gone to race, so get in the Navy ~ he did.

Visit Caldey and the detached house behind the P.O. is the Farm Baliff’s house resided in by David & Martha. Their fathers (Benjamin's) cottage is now under the Carbunckle (Abbey), but thankfully I have a picture before of the village before the Carbunckle started to appear in with the laying on of the bell in 1906.

I have an original letter by a lodger of David & Martha which describes how they lived on the island and how they crossed to chapel.

David retired to Saundersfoot and built 2 houses sometimes called Rosemont and sometimes called Montrose, they still exist and where in the family until the death of Linda in the ‘80’s or 90’s

I have photo’s of all places mentioned and in most cases the people and records.

David’s father Benjamin had moved to Caldey in 1837 from Garnass and eventually worked for his son the farm baliff.

As you can imagine based on the ’83 tree and the above I can waffle on for hours and hours from the death of Elizabeth Oriel wife of Wm Oriell in 1593 H’west to the 2000’s from Pembroke to Glamorgan to Gloucestershire, home counties, Bristol, Canada, and the USA.

I even now partake of a dram or two on the site of George Oriel’s old pub the Green Mead in Main St Pembroke, now the Power Station Club, mind it does not have a duck pond outside it like it did in George’s day. Perhaps I can be considered a descendent of one of George’s “Green Mead Boys” (See Pembroke People by Richard Rose).

Rgds
Orielbenfro
1946-2015

Offline marros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 16:02 BST (UK) »
Researching my mother's ancestry has led me to the Oriel's. Can anyone please shed any light on Thomas Oriel born 1820 at Garness Mill? He married Martha Thomas who was born in Marros (Talvan) also in 1820. They were married on 7 December 1843. Thomas' father was also called Thomas and was a miller and Martha's father, called Stephen, was a farmer.

My mother's immediate ancestry hail from the Rhondda Valley.

Many thanks.

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 12:56 BST (UK) »
Beware ~ There are two Thomas Oriels who each married a bride by the name of Martha Thomas one mrge was in 1839 and the other being in 1843.
The way to tell the difference is that one went up the valleys to work whilst the other remained in the Crunwere-Marros area and worked as a Gamekeeper.
I believe that nbr 1 Thomas Oriel who mrd in 1839 was baptised at Marros 27 Aug 1809.
I believe that nbr 2 Thomas Oriel who mrd 1843 was the son of Thomas & Rebecca Oriel baptised 14 Apr 1820 at Crunwere.
My research would suggest that it was nbr 2 Thomas Oriel who went up the valleys to work living at 1851- Caedram, 1861 - 17 Bridge St Merthyr 1881 - 10 Club Street Ystradydfodwg, died at 19 Ayton Terrace Llwynpia, I am fortunate to have a good selection of photogrphs of the people and places in my Oriel Archive, his will was probated at Llandaff 07 Mar 1894. I have a very large selection in my Pembrokeshire Oriel Document Archive which covers the early 1400's to approximately 1980.
Thomas Oriel the father of Thomas Oriel was the son of Thomas Oriel & Elizabeth Hanson (Possibly many and varied spellings), they had married at Kyffig
Thomas Oriel husband of Elizabeth Hanson was the son of James Oriel and Mary Howell.
The farm house of James Oriel still stands in Marros overlooking the beach.
All the above where mentioned in the long drawn out court case as to who had right of ownership of Garness circa 1800, the case being held at Hereford.
I believe I am now the only person to hold all the papers to the court case which dragged in a number of many different Oriel's. We are lucky that the court found in favour of Thomas Oriel who then became sole proprietor of Garnass. this then allowed that Garnass Farm remained in the Oriel Family for prior to the English Civil War to 1973.
Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
1946-2015