Author Topic: Welby/Whelby Family  (Read 4530 times)

Offline wildfiremiss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Welby/Whelby Family
« on: Thursday 30 December 10 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi there!,

I've recently started doing some family history research on the Welby/Whelby name in Wales.  Being in Australia I am completely lost when trying to work out all the different "...shires" across England and Wales, so please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong area. :)

The family lines I am trying to chase all so far seem to come from the Pembrokeshire area, so I thought I would start here. I have however got stuck and cannot find information that  allows me to go back further with any degree of confidence.

I have got as far as Mr William Morgan Welby b:abt 1819-1825 in Tenby, Pembrokeshire Wales (date keeps changing depending on which census he was filling out at the time!) he died about 1896 at the age of 77. (Two death indexes found, for a William Welby, not sure exactly which one he is!) Can't locate an exact birth index or reference to clarify age.

I have reference to him marrying a Martha Lewis (nee George)  in 1855 again in Pembrokeshire.  They went on to have 5 children together (plus two from Martha previous relationship).

I have Williams parents listed as Jane Morgan and Richard John Welby. (not confident they are the right couple as Richard John Welby is listed as being born in Kent England, (I am guessing this is a long walk! but alas cannot find any other reference.)

My husband is a descendant of William (we think!) William would be 3x GG Grandfather. 

Any help or pointers where to locate further information would be appreciated. (I have a subscription to ancestry and have exhausted, Census data, BDM indexes, etc on here)

Kind Regards
Sharon

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: Welby/Whelby Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 December 10 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Welby / Whelby and other various spellings of the surname was from a family in Tenby who where well known as both Jockey and trainer in horse racing circles.
The family surname also resided in Pembroke, but a gentleman I did some work for years ago decided they where unrelated, so was deleted and forgotten.
I can follow up again if required.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 December 10 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Further to my previous
From my transcription of all the Parish Registers of Pembroke St Michael 1711 to 1950’s, from the register which covers mrge’s 1837 to 1908 I note the following ;
12 July 1877 William James aged 32 a widower and labr of Merrion in the parish of Warren Pembrokeshire the son of Thomas James Dec’d) a labr married Emily Welby aged 21 a spinster with no shown occupation of Lower Lamphey lane the daughter of William Welby a horse braker by banns in front of Henry S. Blink. Both made their mark in the presence of William Welby and J.A. Adams.
12 May 1883 Thomas Welby aged 22 a bach and jockey of Lower Lane the son of William Morgan Welby a jockey mrd Mary Ann Seborne aged 21 of the Foundry the son of George Seaborne a labr by banns in front of T.N. Raymond-James. Thomas made his mark and Mary Ann signed her name in the presence of George (X) Seaborne and John Edwin Hay.

Note ; The Foundry building still exists and now houses the Pembroke 21c Comm. Assoc. Lower Lane, is the old main rd between the East end of Pembroke town to Lamphey through which and past the old toll gate and over the ancient ridgeway to Tenby.

From my transcription of all the Parish Registers of Pembroke St Michael 1711 to 1950’s, from the register which covers baptisms 1839 to 1901 I note the following ;
30 June 1884 Mary Jane to Thomas & Mary Ann Welby of Foundry House Commons a labr by D.R. Parry-Davies.
18 Aug 1899 Frederick George to Thomas & Mary Welby of Lower Lane a Jockey by T.J.L. Davies.

From my transcription of all the Parish Registers of Pembroke St Michael 1711 to 1950’s, from the register which covers baptisms 1901 to 2000 I note a further 7 baptism’s in the surname Welby 2 are to mothers only, 3 are to Thomas and Mary Anne and 2 are to Wm & Elizabeth. All occupations are related to horses except the two ladies. Since all shown are possibly still alive today, it is against forum rules for me to supply you the information on open forum. If this info is an absolute necessity to your research drop me a PM.

From my transcription of all the Parish Registers of Pembroke St Michael 1711 to 1950’s, from the register which covers burial 1871 to 1929 I note ;
Margaret Welby of The Infirmary Pembroke buried 03 Aug 1906 aged 24 by J. Davies
Sarah Jane Welby of Lower Rd St Michael’s buried 05 Oct 1907 aged 14 months by Arthur S. Thomas (She is buried in plot N. 26 at St Michaels Cemetery)
William John Welby of Lower Rd St Michael’s buried 21 Jan 1908 aged 2 yrs and 9 months by Arthur S. Thomas
James Whelby of Lower Lamphey Lane buried 25 Jan 1902 aged 12 hours by Richard Spurrell
Albert Thomas George Whelley of Lower Lane buried 09 Apr 1914 aged 04 months by J.A.G. Howell. This child baptised as Albert Thomas George Welby to Martha Welby a domestic servant of Lower Lamphey Rd.

Turning to the parish church of Pembroke Town that of Pembroke St Mary I note from my transcriptions covering all parish registers 1711 to 1950’s that Thomas & Mary Ann Whelby also had 4 children baptised at this location which they lived variously in Bankers Row, Orange Gardens and Lower (Lamphey) Lane.
Note Orange Gardens is a small homely estate of Pembroke cottages built in the old quarry that supplied some of the original rock to build the Castle. Bankers Row, was not considered the most up market row of cottages in Pembroke and have long since been pulled down, I do have a nice picture of Bankers Row from the very early 20th century if you would like a copy.

Further info shows that an Albert George Welby mrd Sarah E.A. Carter in the Pembroke Registration District in 3rd Qtr of 1930, quite lightly at Pembroke Dock St John. Both are buried at Llanion Cemetery in the town of Pembroke Dock in plot W. 172

The following are buried at St Michael’s Cemetery ;
Albert Thomas George Whelby 1914 in plot N. 39.
Margaret Whelby 1906 in plot M. 24.
William Whelby 10 Nov 1896 in plot I. 6

I can readily obtain photo’s of headstones if they survive and are required.

I have photographed all those headstones that can be reached in the very dense follage bushes and trees of St Michaels Churchyard, there appear to be no Welby headstones that survive.

Whilst the above does not show any early Tenby relationship and as far as I can find there is no reference to the family as early as you seek I trust with the connection to William Morgan W(H)elby the above is of some assistance.

Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline wildfiremiss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 January 11 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Orielbenfro

Thank you!.. I have finally got some time to look and digest the information you have provided. It has proved to be most helpful, and fits in nicely with information gathered so far.

The horse jockey/trainer connection you refer to in your first post is indeed relevant to my family lines.  So any additional pointers would be gratefully accepted. I will try to contact via a PM.

Yours very appreciatively
Wildfiremiss

Offline Dynbach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 July 14 14:55 BST (UK) »
Further to all the above, It would appear that William Morgan Welby was originally called William Welby Morgan in the 1851 Tenby Census.  On his wedding certificate he lists his father as Richard Welby, Captain in Navy but whether that is Royal or Merchant cannot be decided although looking at Navy Lists around the periods there was only one Richard Welby and he was already married and died I believe in Portsmouth.
Suggest looking in the Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser on the Welsh Newspapers website and type William Welby Pembroke.
There are several instances of him either being fined, or sent to gaol for one month or so.
He appears to have been a bit of a rogue and I am also related to him, his sone Richard would be my GGF!
Regards
Dynbach