Author Topic: Missing 4xg grandfather  (Read 13327 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Missing 4xg grandfather
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Sancti

Parents for that George show on IGI as George CLIFFORD and Mary Ann MUTRIE.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 21:23 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if Daniel senior had gone back to Ireland but it would be unlikely.His daughter Mary is still at Great Russell St in 1901,though she had at various times lived in three different houses on the same street.Also by 1881,the last time I can find him he has been in Scotland 50 years.Even if he died in a poorhouse (another thought) it would have been recorded surely.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica and Sancti I have located George's marriage to Janet McKinnon Robertson in 1890.Both parents deceased,this I know as I have both DC's.Daniel died in Edinburgh 1863 and Bridget in Edinburgh in 1886.Now given that George is 22 on his wedding day how on earth can Daniel be his father when he died 27 years previously ???
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 01:43 BST (UK) »
Well racked my brains on this one and can only come up with two possibilities.

1.Bridget was still a young woman when her husband died so could have had an illigitimate child.How she could get away with passing it off as her dead husbands though is beyond me,5 years is a long pregnancy.

2. He is in fact the illigitimate child of her eldest daughter Mary Anne.She would have been 16/17 at George's birth depending on the year and I've seen one census says 1866 in which case 15.I tend to go for 1868.She is hustled off to the alter in Bathgate 1869 aged 17.It says 16 on the marriage certificate but I know it's 17 as I have her birth registered in St.Mary's Cathedral,Edinburgh.

And I'm still missing one Daniel ???

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 07:48 BST (UK) »
Bridget may have told George his 'dad' Daniel died when he was young or just before he was born so George would have thought Daniel was his father. His birth certificate is not registered as George Clifford

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Sancti,it's not impossible as you say that he had grown up thinking his father was Daniel,lucky for his mother they didn't have computers and SP.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 15:04 BST (UK) »
I tried looking for his birth as George with middle name Clifford but no luck

Have you looked under his mother's maiden name?

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 19:03 BST (UK) »
I tried it under Lee,Bridget's maiden name Sancti.None I could see immediately.
Shows 5 George Lees born between 1865 and 1870 but none where I would expect them to be.

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 18 July 13 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Seoras, I have already emailed you with an attachment of the cert.

I know it is some time since this message was posted, however I thought users might like to see my findings and get your views. Good to get through the brick wall (hopefully folks will agree with me - let me know your thoughts)

I looked up Daniel Clifford in the burial discs for West Lothian.
Dan Clifford, died 18/03/1890 aged 80 years, interred 20/03/1890.
He is buried in common ground. Glasgow Road Paulville Section N Lair 212

Then I looked at SP. As many of you know, no Daniel Clifford. However, I searched using information from the burial: death year, age, birth year, and first name. Didn't use surname. Of the list that came up, there was Daniel McLaughlin. This Daniel McLaughlin died in Linlithgow Poorhouse.  Date of death is the same and so is the spouse. Daniel's mother's maiden name is given as Clifford so Daniel may have been illegitimate or did something happen to make him take his mother's maiden name?

The informant was a grandson in law, James McBride. James McBride married Mary Ann Clifford in 1869. Mary Ann was the daughter of Daniel's son Daniel and Bridget.

Mags