Author Topic: The Clarkson Family/Brothers  (Read 2538 times)

Offline Craig Semplis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The Clarkson Family/Brothers
« on: Thursday 20 February 14 23:42 GMT (UK) »
My Nanna died 5yrs ago and even though I knew she had brothers I know very very little about them or even the family in general. I know she grew up in Addiewell and I visted there once many years ago. I don't know the street they grew up in but I think they were originally from Tillicoultry, but that could be my memory playing tricks on me. my Nan Elizabeth Daniels nee Clarkson moved to King St, Edinburgh and for a short while courted a stoker 1st class named Leslie from HMS Hood until he went down with the ship fighting Bismark. She married a guy from British Hondures but it didn't last. Her brothers were James Clarkson, John Clarkson and Lewis Clarkson. I think they were at Addiewell or Uphill working for the shale/oil company before WW1 James was in The 4th Battalion Grenadier Guards service no 17542 and he won The Military Medal tho as yet I haven't found out for what! BUT he died of his wounds July 1916. Someone told me he was in Coldstream Guards also (confused) His brother John also in WW1 and was gassed - he was never the same, my nan said his skin changed Jaundiced colour and he laboured for breath the rest of his life, dying in 1943/6?. Lewis I know even less about I met him many yrs ago once in 1981. Anyone able to add to their story or fill in the gaps - Here is a photo of James I have tried to re-colour it may not be 100% accurete but hope it is a fitting tribute to the sacrifice that sooo many families both male and female from Scotland made during The World Wars regards Craig Semplis
Semplis not many of us about.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Clarkson Family/Brothers
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 February 14 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Craig,
It's Looby. I've contributed to your David Colborn thread.
I think your photo of James is fantastic. You've made a good job of it.

Have you seen this -
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/470901/CLARKSON,%20JAMES

Looby :)