Author Topic: Thomas Renwick Brown  (Read 1775 times)

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Renwick Brown
« on: Saturday 21 February 09 21:33 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate the descendants of Thomas Renwick Brown.

Born:      7/11/1896 in Glasgow
              Parents - Thomas Brown & Jane Davidson
Married:  26/8/1927 to Agnes Rosa Grant
Died:      1986 in Glasgow

Thomas Brown originated from Selkirk (He was my Great Uncle)

Any help would be appreciated.
Bill.
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),
Emery & Treasure (Somerset). Goode, King, Flack (Cambridge)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Renwick Brown
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 February 09 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill,

Sorry to see you haven't had a reply to your query. :( The names you are working with are very common and, no doubt you have found yourself, there are lots of results for them!

Have you tried ordering Thomas' death certificate to acquire more information? You may always want to try Agnes' (she died 1974 in Glasgow). Since Thomas was a widower at his time of death, it's very possible the death could have been registered by a son or daughter.

Both are available to order at SP for £10.

hume :)

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 February 09 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hume
Thank you for taking the trouble to contact me. I agree with you regarding our names - there are a 'couple' of Browns in Scotland!
I will order a copy of the Death Certificate to see what that turns up.  I also plan to contact the Burials Officer, Glasgow City Council, who may be able to provide some details of the grave site. (eg monument may have family members listed).
Thanks again
Bill
Brown , Turnbull  Adamson, Renwick,  Edgar,  Smibbert,  Scott, Irving, Trotter, Brunton (Borders/Selkirk); Burnside, Skirving, Graham (East Lothian),

Offline iaingbrown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 November 14 19:52 GMT (UK) »
This was my grandfather. I live in Glasgow; two of his three sons are still alive. My uncle still stays in the marital home of Thomas and Agnes.

Iain

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 November 14 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. The original poster was last on the site at the end of October. I have sent him a personal message to say you have replied to his post, just in case he is not automatically notified. Once you have made three posts, you can send someone a personal message by clicking on the little "message" icon to the left.

Offline iaingbrown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 November 14 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you GR2.
I Googled TR Brown's details on Armistice Sunday to see if I could find out more about his wartime record: he served with the Highland Light Infantry in France and Mesopotamia in WW1. I am one of his five grandchildren; he has six great grandchildren in South Africa and Scotland.
I know a little more about my grandmother Agnes ( nee Grant, from Grantown on Spey) side of the family tree; I did not know there was a Selkirk connection with my great grand-father.

Offline iaingbrown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 November 14 23:20 GMT (UK) »
I've had a recount. Eight great grand children. Age does not come alone...

Offline houseofbrown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 November 14 04:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Iain, it's nice to hear from someone (especially a 'real live cousin' ) after all these years since I originally posted on this site.  Over the years I have found out quite a bit about this branch of the family and I have been in contact with the cousins in South Africa. I would be keen to swap notes if you are interested but ask that you give me a week or so.  At the moment I am laid up flat on my back in bed with a lower spine problem but should be up and running shortly.
Regards,   Bill Brown, Adelaide, South Australia.