Author Topic: Marriage Certs from SP or GRO  (Read 5000 times)

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Certs from SP or GRO
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 August 14 17:26 BST (UK) »
I do know that Patrick made a PR application in 1861 but I don't have any details.
My next port of call will be the Mitchell Library to look at the record for myself.

It is  of course,entirely possible, that Patrick did marry Ann Downie but took up with Isabella  very shortly after the marriage.
However, Patrick and Isabella's first child was born just 10months after the marriage date??

Isabella did not remarry, and only one child from the above list survived infancy.
Her parents are listed on her 1903 DC which was signed by her only surviving daughter
The parents names bear no resemblance to those of Ann Downie.

Im off on holiday for 2weeks but will come back to this thread when I have returned and viewed the PR application.

I forgot  to add this birth. Born at 60 Struthers St.
 It has a mistranscription on the mother's name too: McNair rather than McLay
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQRM-XJJ
The child died in Nov 1861. His mother's name was McLay

60 Struthers St
Name   Age
Patrick Rice   45
Isabella Rice   30
Patrick Rice   4 Mo **  above birth /died Nov 1861
Mary McKewon   33
Mary Jane McKewon   6

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 August 14 17:40 BST (UK) »
We seem to be skipping between Dowie and Downie spellings. Is that a current error, or an old one? I take it that it's actually Dowie. Just to avoid confusion.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 August 14 19:23 BST (UK) »
We seem to be skipping between Dowie and Downie spellings. Is that a current error, or an old one? I take it that it's actually Dowie. Just to avoid confusion.

Imber

It's definitely DOWIE according to SP Imber.   :)

Just a thought but it could easily have been a marriage of convenience or coercion, Ann Dowie [or Patrick] could have scarpered with someone else? If there are no children between Ann/Patrick I suspect she may have lied to get him to the altar?

She may have died, there are 7 deaths in Scotland between the years 1860-70 for name Ann Dowie but 19 for Ann Rice [married name], of which one is Bridgeton 1865.

So many possibilities but one thing sure, Patrick would not have been able to legally marry Isabella if he was still married to Ann.

Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 August 14 20:15 BST (UK) »
Note:
William Street, Mile-end was re-named it became Broad Place, SE
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 09:34 BST (UK) »
It won't answer this very knotty conundrum, but the Scottish Way of Birth & Death website (http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/socialpolitical/research/economicsocialhistory/historymedicine/scottishwayofbirthanddeath/) has good background on registration, including the problems of the early days of registration and suggestions for further reading. Don't be put off by the title, it includes material on marriage.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 November 14 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Having now looked at the PR application made shortly after his marriage, there is no suggestion that my gg grandfather ever married Ann Dowie.
The PR gives the exact marriage date and it states her name was Isabella McLay.
I have always been sure that an error was made by the registrar when he copied out the marriage certificate and now I'm certain.

I have another question for those in the know...
I also have a few marriage certificates where either the bride or groom used first initials only.
Their full christian names do not not appear anywhere on the marriage certificate.

If there is no identifiable name on the cert, how come SP has indexed it correctly, complete with missing name?
Here is an example from a 1881 marriage .
I have provided a crop from the image and one from the actual index
How did SP know that her name was Grace?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 November 14 12:54 GMT (UK) »
I also have a few marriage certificates where either the bride or groom used first initials only.
Their full christian names do not not appear anywhere on the marriage certificate.
If there is no identifiable name on the cert, how come SP has indexed it correctly, complete with missing name?
Yes, I've come across a few like this as well.

I wonder if this is another manifestation of the Registrar having to make a duplicate of the entry?. Or, perhaps, the full name is in the index at the back of the book, the Registrar having realised he had only (an) initial(s), and made sure he had the full name for the index?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 November 14 13:11 GMT (UK) »
I accept what you are saying Forfarian but how would the person who indexed this for SP know the missing name?

I deliberatley chose this one because it would take a huge amount of detective work for anyone to work out who this woman was... her birth name was not Neilson and the husband on this marriage cert died within a few years of the marriage.
Her birth record is under her mother's maiden name ( illegitimate no father listed)
She has two marriages, a PR application and a death record.
Every document after her birth, provides a different first name and occupation... for her father!

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 17 November 14 13:23 GMT (UK) »
There are a few different examples of this sort of thing with ScotlandsPeople. I would email and ask for an explanation. You will probably get a prompt reply though it may not be very detailed. Do let us know the outcome.