Author Topic: Help deciphering a name  (Read 8172 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help deciphering a name
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 July 14 02:45 BST (UK) »
I reckon it's Sinsirus, just a phoenetic kind of spelling of St Cyrus......  Sin Syrus .... Sinsirus.

Of course! That is so logical and obvious now that you've pointed it out!  :)
I've just loaded up some old maps of the area and was about to trawl through them for this mystery place.  :)

Offline lesliebd9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 July 14 02:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you all.  It makes more sense then anything I came up with!

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 July 14 02:58 BST (UK) »
Definitely St Cyrus. 
Birth / Baptism recorded on ScotlandsPeople as 24 August 1760 in St Cyrus, Kincardineshire.
Father James Taylor - no mother mentioned.
GROS ref:    267/00 0010 0133
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline lesliebd9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 July 14 03:25 BST (UK) »
I have found that one on Scotland's People.  I have found his marriage to Margaret Oldman:
02/06/1793   TAYLOR   WILLIAM   MARGARET OLDMAN/   M   ST VIGEANS   /ANGU

I am really looking for their daughter Mary Ann born about 1800 in Arbroath/St Vigeans and any siblings she might have had.  I cannot find her any place until she marries:
12/09/1829   DORWARD   ALEXANDER   MARY ANN/TAYLOR   M   ST VIGEANS   /ANGUS
And have tracked her until her death:
1875   TAYLOR   MARY ANN       DORWARD   F   75   ROW OR RHU   /DUNBARTON   

It makes me crazy that I cannot find the records of her birth.  Any suggestions?  Thank you!!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 July 14 08:39 BST (UK) »
As Scotland's People does not list any children of William Taylor and Margaret Oldman, the obvious inference is that if they were baptised, then either they were not baptised in the Church of Scotland or the Roman Catholic Church, or if they were, then no record has survived.

This is all before the founding of the Free Church in 1843, so it won't be in the Free Church registers.

There were some other breakaway sects and denominations before the Free Church. Many of the surviving registers of these are in the National Archives Records of Scotland www.nas.gov.uk. They are not accessible online; you would have to go in person or get someone to go for you to the NRS in Edinburgh or to one of the other archives that have access to the NRS' digital images (Glasgow, Aberdeen and Inverness, among others).

Or they might have been Episcopalians. The surviving Episcopal registers are still with individual churches, or possibly diocesan or other archives.

The University of Dundee Archives http://arccat.dundee.ac.uk/ have ecclesiastical collections including the Brechin Diocese of the Scottish Episcopal Church, the Glasite and Sandemanian Churches and the Arbroath Methodist Church.

The other possibility is that the baptism was never recorded in the first place, in which case no amount of searching is ever going to find it.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lesliebd9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 July 14 17:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I have two additional questions.  I was under the impression it was required by law that you had to register births?  Also was it likely that someone would start C of S and then stray to a sect and then come back?  Seems unusual.
A bit of background if you are interested...I collect antique textiles (samplers) done by little girls.  I specialized in Scottish.  It gives me huge pleasure to do the genealogy on the girls and give them a second life from birth to death.  I had a sampler done by the schoolmaster at Forgandenny and recently found her sisters sampler at auction.  I was able to reunite them and that made me very happy.  I love learning more about the social histories of the nineteenth century in Scotland.
Sorry if that was moe then you wanted to know.  Thank you for your help.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 19 July 14 17:28 BST (UK) »
I was under the impression it was required by law that you had to register births?
Not until the introduction of statutory civil registration in 1855.

Also was it likely that someone would start C of S and then stray to a sect and then come back?
Quite possible. There were so many sects and minor denominations, many of which didn't last very long!

However a broader answer is that in theory the Church of Scotland was supposed to record all baptisms and marriages, irrespective of whatever denomination the people involved  belonged to. This did sometimes happen, but it depended on the people themselves tellling the Session Clerk, and the clerk bothering to write it down. So you do sometimes find the events of other denominations being recorded in the C of S registers if there was a conscientious Session Clerk and the parish was small enough for all such events to come to his attention. Just because some of a couple's children are in the C of S records and others are not is not evidence that the parents left the C of S and subsequently came back.

I collect antique textiles (samplers) done by little girls.
Interesting! Do you publish the results anywhere online where one could check to see if these is one stitched by a relative?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lesliebd9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 19 July 14 17:39 BST (UK) »
You are very patient and I am grateful.

www.antiquesamplers.org
You have to sign up, but it is just to keep the trash out.  Where is your family from? I have over 400 Scottish samplers.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 19 July 14 17:53 BST (UK) »
You are very patient and I am grateful.

www.antiquesamplers.org
You have to sign up, but it is just to keep the trash out.  Where is your family from? I have over 400 Scottish samplers.

They're from all over - see my signature line below for the list (except the English one - that's not mine but a friend's family).