Author Topic: McKerral / McDougall / Salmond / McIntyre  (Read 2824 times)

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McKerral / McDougall / Salmond / McIntyre
« on: Saturday 26 July 14 12:26 BST (UK) »
I have just had a brick wall come down moment and found a missing relative.  William Salmond married Margaret McKerral in December 1909.  He died in 1951 in Glasgow and it is noted he is a widower at that time.  Margaret's parents on her marriage to William are noted as John McKerral and Margaret McKerral nee McDougall.  Margaret appears to have been born approx 1871 and before marriage, lived at 51 Houldsworth Street, Glasgow.  William and Margaret's marriage was witnessed by Arch McIntyre who was William's mother's grandson by her first marriage to an 'Aitken'.  Arch's mother was Elizabeth McIntyre, nee Aitken. I believe Archibald died when a navy ship went down at sea.  He had a twin sister. If any of these names rings bells, I would be happy to hear from you.  William came out to Australia in 1886 with his father, Peter Salmond and mother Jane and some other members of the family.  Some returned to Scotland including William who I found in a 1901 census in Coatsbridge, but hadn't been able to find any further trace of him until today.  Thank goodness for Scotlandspeople!
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: McKerral / McDougall / Salmond / McIntyre
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 July 14 12:31 BST (UK) »
PS I should say I don't need anything on the family that came to Australia as I am happy with what I have found in that regard.  It is more maybe the McKerral/McDougall/McIntyre family or any Salmonds possibly born to William and Margaret from 1909 in Scotland that I would be interested to hear about.
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 July 14 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi AlannaGrace

Celebrate the successes!

Regarding Margaret McKerral, Searching for children born to a John McKerral and a Margaret McDougal, brings up only two entries. Both for a child named Margaret, and in Glasgow, but 10 years apart. Likely first died and name reused:

1859 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQ6Q-J4F
1869 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQ7M-KPX

There is this entry in 1881:

John McKerral 46 Joiners (Journ) b. Campbelton, Argylsh
Margt McKerral 43 b. Campbelton, Argylsh
Jane McKerral 20
Flora McKerral 16
Annie McKerral 14
Mary McKerral 12
Maggie McKerral 10
John McKerral 8
John Martin 25 lodger

Address: 174 Cumberland St, Glasgow/Gorbals

Best way forward would be to check the 1911 census for William Salmond and wife Margaret, confirming also her birth place as Glasgow. You also be able to see some early born children for them too hopefully.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 July 14 00:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you Monica.  The 1881 census definitely looks like the Margaret in the marriage certificate.  Out of the 2 Familysearch items the 69 is more likely to be it, however on her marriage at the end of 1909, she states her age as 38 not 40.  Maybe she fibbed.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 July 14 09:30 BST (UK) »
I think the first entry on FS is likely to have been an earlier born Margaret who died, and then the names was resused with the birth of the second Margaret in 1869. Families liked to reuse important family first names, in the event that a child died early.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk