Author Topic: Robertson/Paterson/Mitchell/McArthur – Old Deer – circa. 1780-1870  (Read 6779 times)

Offline Anneatki

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robertson/Paterson/Mitchell/McArthur – Old Deer – circa. 1780-1870
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 December 14 10:56 GMT (UK) »
 :D Hello RuthHelen, Welcome to Rootschat! I somehow missed this post, & just happened to check the Aberdeenshire posts today - William Mitchell & Ann Robertson are my 2xgt. grandparents, through their daughter Janet/Jessie & Alexander Morrison, the Blacksmith.
I will have to catch up on details - have just returned from a trip visiting grandchildren!
But I do also have the birth of Ann Robertson, Huntly 9 Dec. 1808, & her parents marriage in 1807.
Will read your posts/replies properly & let you know if I have any info, cheers, Anne  ;D
Aberdeenshire & The Borders, Morison/Morrison, Mitchell, Robertson, Ritchie, Youngson,Tait, Law, Pringle, Trotter

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 December 14 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne

Thanks - these Robertsons are definitely still a puzzle  ??? I also have a birth for an Ann Robertson, Huntly 1808 (and a marriage for her parents in Huntly in 1807), but I'm still not convinced it's my Ann Robertson - despite the fact that her parents are clearly John Robertson and Ann Morison/Morrison.

According to her baptism record, the father of this Ann Robertson (Huntly) was a weaver, whereas according to the death certificate of my Ann Mitchell (nee Robertson), her father was a farmer. Also, Ann Mitchell (nee Robertson) was seemingly born in Strichen (according to the 1851 and and 1861 census) - as was her sister, Christian.

There seem to have been at least eight children in the Huntly Robertson family (of which Christian isn't one) - and I think I've found the remains of them in Old Road, Huntly in 1841 (father John, sons John and William, and daughter Ann - all weavers), 1851 (father John, son John and daughter Ann), 1861 (just brother and sister, John and Ann), and finally 1871 (again just John and Ann). Ann appears to have died in 1878 in Huntly - her parents are noted as John Robertson and Anne Morrison on the death certificate.

All of which, if correct, means this Ann Robertson can't be my Ann Mitchell (nee Robertson), since she married William Mitchell in Old Deer in 1833 and appears in the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census records at Craigiehill with her husband and family. She died in 1862 at Craigiehill.

It's very frustrating, as I can't find baptism records for either my Ann or Christian Robertson - both of whom were seemingly born in Strichen. I've found some other Robertsons in Strichen - even a John Robertson, who was indeed a farmer. He appears to have been born in Lonmay to one Alexander Robertson in 1785. He farmed at Hillside, Strichen until after 1871 with a variety of other Robertsons, who were variously nieces and nephews - he appears to have remained resolutely unmarried  ::)

Going slightly mad, I must say…  :D

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline Anneatki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 December 14 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Nothing coming up with Wildcard searches? Or did the records not survive? We may have to wait till Scotlandspeople bring out a subscription! But why would they, when people like us keep searching for those elusive replies?  :'(
I'll give my Morrisons a rest for a while & get back to Mitchell/Robertson - I did find William Mitchell's father, John, aged 100, at Craigiehill in '51!
In between Christmas fudge making, & finally getting round to the tinsel & tree, I'll be back! Anne
Aberdeenshire & The Borders, Morison/Morrison, Mitchell, Robertson, Ritchie, Youngson,Tait, Law, Pringle, Trotter