Author Topic: patrick and john Buckley families pre 1860 nsw  (Read 4243 times)

Offline JaymorseCo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
patrick and john Buckley families pre 1860 nsw
« on: Saturday 09 March 13 02:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,  grateful for any help tracing the parents and their forebears of brothers patrick and john Bucley, who were active in mudgee, nsw in the 1860s and who are both buried in Coonabarabran cemetery.  I have been able to identify most (all) descendents of John and patrick but have drawn a blank on their parents
Cheers.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: patrick and john Buckley families pre 1860 nsw
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 March 13 03:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Welcome to Rootschat.

Would you like me to ask a Moderator to move this all across to the Australian Board  :)

In the meantime, I will see what I can find in my offline NSW resources.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 March 13 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am not sure what info you already have, so I hope I am not duplicating :

NSW Electoral Rolls 1870 THE BOGAN
Patrick BUCKLEY, residence at Coolah Road, Honeysuckle (within the Coonabarabran Police District)
James BUCKLEY, residence at Binnia Plain, Binnia. (within the Coonabarabran Police District)

NSW Electoral Rolls 1878 THE BOGAN
Patrick BUCKLEY, freehold, Myall Plain, BINNIA
John BUCKLEY, residence, MYALL PLAIN.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 March 13 03:32 GMT (UK) »
May I please ask:

Do you have a copy of (or a transcription of) the 1915 NSW BDM death cert for Patrick BUCKLEY?

"The death is reported from Coonabarabran of Mr. Patrick Buckley, of Girrawa, one of the oldest graziers in that district, aged 72."  http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/77599990 Dubbo Liberal and Macquarie Advocate  3 Sept 1915.

NSW BDM ref 10883/1915, registered at Coonabarabran, ONLINE index has the parents as John and Margaret.    I note that in 1925, a John BUCKLEY's death was registered at Coonabarabran.  His parents given names recorded as John and Margaret also.

Also noticed a John BUCKLEY's death in 1891, again registered at Coonabarabran.  His given names not recorded on index online.  ::)

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 March 13 05:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Possible clues re parents for the brothers : Patrick and John

From NSW State Records Office, online index there’s
A probate file for a John BUCKLEY, of Myall Plains with date of death as 15 Sept 1891, duty paid 9 May 1892.
a Probate file for a Margaret BUCKLEY of Myall Plains with date of death as 24 Nov 1897, with Duty Paid 18 March 1898
a Probate file for an Ellen BUCKLEY of Coonabarabran, death 11 Aug 1929, duty 7 Oct 1932 (her occupation noted as widow)  *could that be Patrick’s widow? (NSW mc 2592/1865 Ellen HAMBLIN and Patrick BUCKLEY)
a Probate file for P BUCKLEY OF Myalla (sic) death 25 Oct 1912, duty 4 Jan 1913
a Probate file for P BUCKLEY of Markton, death 21 Aug 1915, duty 5 Feb 1916

If you are near to Kingswood NSW (an outer western suburb of Sydney) you can view (and take copies/images of) the files.

Here’s the link to the index http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchform.aspx?id=15&new=1

Here’s a link to NSW SRO’s Brief as to what to expect in a Probate Packet (there’s usually lots of family history info, quite often there’s a copy of the NSW BDM death cert and that document can be quite informative) http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/archives-in-brief/archives-in-brief-84

Cheers,  JM

Offline JaymorseCo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 March 13 03:24 GMT (UK) »
HI JM,  Thanks heaps for your replies  - I'm impressed with the speed of reply and details you provide. The details for John and Margaret are especially interesting as they were Patrick and John's parents.  Ellen Buckley (nee Hamblin) is indeed Patrick's widow.  He died August 15 1915 (obtained from a headstone in Coonabarabran cemetery). The John Buckley who died on Sept 15, 1891 would be John senior, Patrick and John's father, Margaret their mother. Again I only have those names from the brothers headstones, so the probate files are an excellent lead. I don't know who the 'P. Buckley of Myalla who died Oct 25 1912' is, but there do seem to have been many Buckleys in the central west region about that time (especially Mudgee, Dubbo, Baradine and Coonabarabran) only some of whom were related to my ancestors; one of my critical tasks is to tease out who is who before about 1870.  I hope to be heading through Sydney in next month or so - do you have the details of the Kingswood location (& institution?) to visit?

I think the Electoral role records are very likely to be the Buckley brothers - they seem to have spent a fair bit of their lives living very near to each other, and probably worked together most of their lives.

Since I'm really just starting out, I don't yet have much in way of certificates (BDM) so thanks for those references.

Finally, I don't really know fully how the chat site works, so I am vey happy to go with your suggestion to move the thread to the Australia board.  Thank you for that adivce.

So thanks again for your info - I will start following that up straight away.

Cheers J. Morse

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 March 13 10:09 GMT (UK) »
 :)

I have used the "Report to Moderator" option and asked for the thread to be moved to the Australian Board  ;D   There should be plenty of helpers along  ;D

The Probate Packets (and lots of other vital archives) are held at the NSW State Records Office, O'Connell St, Kingswood 
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/contact-us/contact-us 

The NSW State Library, Macquarie St, Sydney has historic Electoral Rolls although there's some also held at Kingswood  :)
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/archives-in-brief/archives-in-brief-5

Many Cheers, and again, Welcome to RChat

JM (I'm a tad NSW centric....)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 02:12 GMT (UK) »
So here you are now, across on the Australian Board   ;D

Should not be too long before other Aussie RChatters are along to Welcome you too.

Cheers,  JM

Offline terryau

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 04:06 GMT (UK) »
Good Afternoon,

Not exactly what you are looking for but may provide some foliage for the tree:-
In 1885:

Surname   First Name   Holding/Place   PD   Post Town   Acreage   Horses   Cattle   Sheep   Pigs
Buckley   A. B.          Nash's Flat   Mudgee   Mudgee        27       2             0           0   0
Buckley   John      Talewang   Mudgee   Tallewang        120       4              0          0   0

Terry