Author Topic: A break through -CofI parish records - Bray, OldConnaught 1859  (Read 30980 times)

Offline lionhouse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A break through -CofI parish records - Bray, OldConnaught 1859
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 13 February 11 12:21 GMT (UK) »
thats three posts, so I will check later today. I will take a pic of the album that is metal bound with two clips. size 12x 16cm

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 13 February 11 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Now I can leave a PM.  Regards, Gazania
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
CUNDITH,CUNDILL, Yorkshire, PALIN. Lincolnshire
FOX, Essex; Camberwell Surrey
LANE, Cork IE;Askeaton LIM, Liverpool, Clifton, Bristol
VOLLER, Surrey
WALL Clonlara Co Clare Ireland
WAREHAM, Esher, Surrey; London
WINCH, Surrey

Offline maildok

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 04 April 11 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Gazania & Daisy

I was delighted to see this tread as I always wanted to know the history of Palermo prior to my grandparents (Fitzpatrick's) purchasing the estate in the late 50's.

I spent much of my childhood on the estate where the families of all seven children used to gather most Sunday's until its sale and subsequent demise in the early 80's.

Daisy, I would be interested to know your families name, as my family most likely purchased Palermo from your family.

I have plenty of photos of the old place if you would like to see some and it would be great if either of you have any also.

Best regards to you both

David

Offline SkerrRock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 22 April 11 23:26 BST (UK) »
My grandfather, Joseph Fitzpatrick was a bootmaker in Whitefriar Place. His father was John Fitzpatrick, born in Monaghan in around 1827. He joined the RIC at 20 and was posted to Mullingar. He married his first wife and then went  to Blackstone in the USA. He returned to Mullingar at the start of the Civil War in the States and set up a leather goods business there.  Their first son John, born in Ireland before they went to the states, was involved in the business. He married Catherine Bennett in 1880, but he died in 1888. His youngest son Thomas. born 1887, moved to England. He returned later and married Mary Kathleen Kennedy and I am told the lived in Palermo House in Bray. 

Could this be the same Thomas Fitzpatrick as the one in my family tree?

Finbarr

Offline maildok

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 24 April 11 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Finbar

Seems you have found some extended family, my grandfather is the same Thomas Fitzpatrick from Mullingar ( I have attached a pic from the 70's at Palermo). He passed away in 1981 at the grand old age of 94. He had 7 children. The extensive lands and house were sold in 1982 to a developer and there is a housing estate called Old Conna Wood built there now. My granny Kathleen died a few years back and her sister Eithne only passed last year. Thomas had many business interests including a coach works at Palermo from where he started the first Wicklow to Enniskerry bus route. Later on he developed a leather goods business at Palermo from where he mainly produced gloves. He also owned lands at Enniskerry, a site on Ormonde Quay and several houses on the Sundrive Road in Crumlin.

The funny thing is that I am actually writing this from my in-laws in Mullingar, as I married a girl from here and I was always interested to know where in Mullingar Thomas lived.

I look forward to your reply and would be really interested to know about your side of the family

all the best

David

Offline SkerrRock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 24 April 11 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi David

Thanks for your reply.  I am a bit blown away by all this?  When we were growing up my mother only vaguely mentioned her father had another brother, but there was never a name.  So when her last brother died (1996), a woman appeared at his funeral trying to make contact with the Fitzpatrick family. But my mother would not talk to her. So I retired three years ago and stated to the family tree. As we have a very large gang on my father’s side it took me a while to get to the Fitzpatrick side.  In looking at the Census I noticed my mother’s father had put in Mullingar as his place of birth and then crossed it out to put in Westmeath. This was my first introduction that my mother’s side came from Mullingar.  In talking to my mother’s brothers wife (she was much younger than him and is still alive) she informed me the lady at the funeral was Thomas daughter and that they are still in touch. Using other websites I have gather a lot of information and copies of records.

It is funny that you should be back in Mullingar as there are still some living relations there (I think)? As you may know John Fitzpatrick (senior) married a second time to Marie Reilly and there had nine children, one of which was called William (1885). He married Margaret McEnroe (there are both buried in the local cemetery) and they have a living son, who have a living daughter, who has a living son.  The address in the records for Mullingar are: Mount Street and 30 Greville Street (now called Pearse St – the one with the Greville Hotel in it).

Was the bus called the St. Kevin’s Bus. Photograph shows Joseph Fitzpatrick, Wife Margaret Nelson and five children including twins (taken 1907/08). My mother was not born till 1910.

Regards

Finbarr

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 25 April 11 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hi David and Finbarr,

I am so glad this thread brought you both together.  If each of you post one more post, no matter how brief, you can than send private messages to each other. See:

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Best wishes, Gazania

I received a lot of help from this thread, including the baptism of Gertrude Lane and a now found photo album.  Thank you all.
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
CUNDITH,CUNDILL, Yorkshire, PALIN. Lincolnshire
FOX, Essex; Camberwell Surrey
LANE, Cork IE;Askeaton LIM, Liverpool, Clifton, Bristol
VOLLER, Surrey
WALL Clonlara Co Clare Ireland
WAREHAM, Esher, Surrey; London
WINCH, Surrey

Offline maildok

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 25 April 11 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Finbar

Gazania's suggestion is a good one, please respond to this post briefly and we can make further communication private. There is a lot I would like to clarify and chat about.

All the best

David

Offline SkerrRock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 25 April 11 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi David

I agree. I am looking forward to sharing my information with you.

I was recently informed about a book called " A Pictorial History of Bray Co. Wicklow. Volume five The Town and Its people Part Four". It contains two pages of photographs of the Fitzpatrick family and Palermo House.

Regards

Finbarr