Author Topic: Police constable-Galway  (Read 28012 times)

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Police constable-Galway
« Reply #18 on: Monday 19 November 07 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian

Sorry I havent sent the numbers on the ledger. I have since found out that some of the numbers link to his awards.

I found he had received a medal and a bar from the Royal Humane society for saving two peoples lives on different occasions. The RHS website is great for seeing awards won by people all over Great Britain. I then wrote to the local library for Ennis and was sent two wonderful accounts of his rescues as recorded in the local paper for Ennis at the time.

Maybe your ancestor won an award its worth taking a look!

Jacqui

Ps apologies if you have already checked.
Bradshaw Tyldesley/Worsley Lancs. RIMMER Liverpool/Birkenhead/Eccles Lancs. Dale Congleton.
Storey Kendal/Eccles. Ryan County Galway Ireland.
O'SULLIVAN Oughterard/ Cornamona County Galway, Ireland. Butler and Burke, Count Galway.  Cowburn Atherton, Manley Worsley. Durban (various spelling) Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. Phidiam/Fidium Worsley.

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 22 November 07 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacqui,
Thanks for your email. I will take your advice and see if there is any listing for Thomas Dowling.
Regards
Brian
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline SeanC3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 02 June 08 20:20 BST (UK) »
Only just registered on here, and I'm finding out stuff already!
This thread caught my eye as I recently discovered my grandmother's baptism record in Kilcummin, Oughterard and it lists her father's occupation as "Constable" in at the time (1893). The point about police constables being moved about could ring true in my case too as my granny was buried in Kildare in a family grave with no apparent connection to her parents (that we know of). This "ancestry site" mentioned in earlier posts....can anyone give me the full website address as I'm in a bit of a cul-de-sac on my great grandfather, what with no more than his occupation in 1893 (and his wifes name) to go on.

Cheers,

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 02 June 08 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

Its Ancestry.co.uk. If you dont have a subscription I could look for you, if you can give me details. Ancestry just gives the name, age and place of birth if you have those I will take a peak. If you are lucky, and you find him, then the best thing to do is order the film from the nearest Latter Day Saints Centre, the index to the film is on Ancestry.

Good luck

Jacqui
Bradshaw Tyldesley/Worsley Lancs. RIMMER Liverpool/Birkenhead/Eccles Lancs. Dale Congleton.
O'SULLIVAN Oughterard/ Cornamona County Galway, Ireland. Butler and Burke, Count Galway.  Cowburn Atherton, Manley Worsley. Durban (various spelling) Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. Phidiam/Fidium Worsley.

Offline spof

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 02 June 08 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

Its Ancestry.co.uk. If you dont have a subscription I could look for you, if you can give me details. Ancestry just gives the name, age and place of birth if you have those I will take a peak. If you are lucky, and you find him, then the best thing to do is order the film from the nearest Latter Day Saints Centre, the index to the film is on Ancestry.

Hi Sean

Welcome to Rootschat.

The London LDS centre has the film in so if you can provide a name/s I'll ve checking one or two people on it tomorrow and will look out for yours.

Glen
Bezant (London/Suffolk), West (London/Essex), Walker (Yorkshire), Phillips (West Country - believed Bristol area), Tibbetts (Warwickshire), Armstrong (Co Fermanagh), Harvison (Co Wexford), Neeb (Germany), Becker (Germany), Jakobsson (Finland). Kanneworff (Germany and Denmark)

Offline SeanC3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 02 June 08 21:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the offer Jacqui, you're very good. Only problem is I'm only at the stage of having his name. Place of birth & age are still great imponderables I'm afraid.

Cheers to you too Glen. I'll throw his name to you. If it comes to somethin', well great. If not, no harm done.

His name is Charles Lewis. I'm only guessing his base would've been in Kilcummin, Oughterard in 1893 (the year his daughter and my gran was born, and the place where she has been recorded as having been baptised)....

Good luck & thanks again to you both for the offer of help.

Offline spof

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 02 June 08 22:02 BST (UK) »
Sean

Ancestry has a Charles Lewis enlisting at age 20 in 1871. H was born in Kildare and there is a reference to a marriage or some other comment.

Would an 1851 birth sound right if you have any other info? Anyway, it will only take a few minutes to scribble down some details.

Glen

PS A big thank you to Jacqui as well as I'd never really looked at the RIC lists and to find they are LDS films was a very welcome surprise.
Bezant (London/Suffolk), West (London/Essex), Walker (Yorkshire), Phillips (West Country - believed Bristol area), Tibbetts (Warwickshire), Armstrong (Co Fermanagh), Harvison (Co Wexford), Neeb (Germany), Becker (Germany), Jakobsson (Finland). Kanneworff (Germany and Denmark)

Offline SeanC3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 02 June 08 22:20 BST (UK) »
Sean

Ancestry has a Charles Lewis enlisting at age 20 in 1871. H was born in Kildare and there is a reference to a marriage or some other comment.

Would an 1851 birth sound right if you have any other info? Anyway, it will only take a few minutes to scribble down some details.

Glen

PS A big thank you to Jacqui as well as I'd never really looked at the RIC lists and to find they are LDS films was a very welcome surprise.

Glen, where have you been all my life?  :D Only kidding, but you might be unfurling another branch on my tree here. It's at times like this that I wish I had more info  :-\

An 1851 birth is plausable. That'd make him 42 at the time of the birth of my gran.

As I said earlier, my gran was buried in a grave in Kildare erected by what looks like a previous generation of Lewis' in a town called Mullacash. Interred in this grave is a Mary Lewis (d.1856 aged 39 yrs......who knows, maybe that's the mother of the Charles Lewis you've got?) The headstone was erected by a "William Lewis of Mullacash", although there are no details etched on the headstone of the death of this William Lewis. The only other info I have is that the wife of Charles Lewis (the constable) went by the name of Mary Carey.

Thanks again.
Sean.

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 03 June 08 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Sean

Hope you do get some information let us know what you find. If you google "Royal Irish constabulary" there is a very interesting site and forum. the guy on the forum has been a great help to me in the past. At the moment I am trying to find my G G grandfathers records his name is Charles Clark unfortunately the Charles Clarks  on Ancestry  are too young >:(

Hope you find lots of info

Jacqui