Author Topic: TREACY Question, East Galway  (Read 10412 times)

Offline jjtjr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
TREACY Question, East Galway
« on: Friday 24 May 13 05:25 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am new to this Forum.

I am looking for information on my Great-Grandfather Edward TREACY, born about 1830 probably in Tynagh or Killimor Galway, near Portumna. His parents were Patrick TREACY born around 1790 - 1794 in Tynagh and Mary EGAN, born in 1811 in Loughrea.
He married Bridget Boland in Killimor Galway on Jan. 20, 1857. He died in Derrew, near Killimor in 1916.

He had the following siblings:
Patrick- born Jan. 7, 1833
Mary born Mar. 12, 1835.
John born ?, married Winifred (Mary) Scully Mar. 5, 1859 in Portumna
James born Sep. 30, 1839, married Sarah Howard
Nicholas - born Mar. 13, 1843, lived Cappasallagh, Portumna Galway
Bridget born Jan. 7, 1849, married Lawrence Whelan
Michael born Mar. 25, 1852

Edward Treacy’s Children were:
Mary Anne born Jan. 7, 1858
Bridget born Feb. 26, 1860
Edward Jr. born Apr. 26, 1862
Catherine born Dec. 15, 1864
Michael Charles born Nov. 8, 1866
Sarah born Mar. 22, 1869
Honoria (Nora) born July 2, 1871
James born Jul. 12, 1873
Elizabeth born Aug. 24, 1875
Patrick Boland born Nov. 1, 1879

I am looking for Edward’s birth date as well as birth and marriage dates of his father Patrick Treacy. They don't seem to be available online.

Thanks,
Galway: Treacy, Egan, Boland, Flynn, Cahill
Cork: Hurley, Barrett
Donegal: Kelly, Diver

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: TREACY Question, East Galway
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 May 13 09:10 BST (UK) »
this appears to be the later generation of the family on the 1901 and 1911 census returns - living in the townland of Derrew in the civil parish of Kilquan.

Treacy household - 1901
   Treacy household - 1911

RC parish for this district was 'Fahy', which includes Fahy and Kilquain civil parish, but unfortunately the available baptism and marriage records only seem to go back to the 1870s

Two Treacy households are listed in Derrew on Griffith's Valuation dated 1856 - a Michael Treacy listed with land of about 16 acres, and a Patrick Treacy with house, offices and land of nearly 60 acres.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline jjtjr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 May 13 13:57 BST (UK) »
shanew147,

Thank you, I have already seen the 1901 & 1911 Censuses which refer to my Great-Grandfather Edward Treacy living in Derrew, and Griffith's which mentions a Patrick Treacy that I believe is his father.

I have checked back in Tynagh looking for his parents, but not yet had a match, since I don't know their names. I tried checking in Loughrea for a Marriage record with Mary Egan, but also no luck.

It seems that you are right about the older information not existing at the time of Edward's birth. I was able to get birth dates for 6 of his 7 siblings, and all of his chiidren, but not for Edward and his brother John.

I guess that my best chance is that a distant relative with more information might read this.

It seems that without more data on Patrick, his parents, siblings or marriage date that I am stuck.

Thanks.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 May 13 15:33 BST (UK) »
The census were for reference and to confirm the denomination of this family, and help with a more detailed location to determine a starting parish.

The adjacent RC parishes to 'Fahy' were Clonfert, Kiltormer/Laurencetown, Mullagh, Killimore and Portumna, but only one of these has records back to 1830 (which is the average starting date for RC records), i.e. Portumna which has baptisms and marriages back to October that year.

Tynagh RC parish is to the south west of these. The baptism records for Tynagh go back to 1816, marriages to 1806, but there are several gaps.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline jjtjr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 May 13 17:19 BST (UK) »
RE:
"Tynagh RC parish is to the south west of these. The baptism records for Tynagh go back to 1816, marriages to 1806, but there are several gaps."

I have had the East Galway Family History Society check the Tynagh Records, since Family History says that Patrick Treacy came from Tynagh before moving to Derrew near Killimor. They found some Treacy's, but they could not find anything referencing Patrick, since they did not know his parents names.

I also had them check the Loughrea records for Patrick's marriage to Mary Egan, but also no luck since I don't know her parents names.

They mentioned that if I knew Patrick's siblings names, they might have better luck.

I think that since a Michael Treacy is also listed in the 1855 Griffith's in Derrew, Kilquain that he probably is Patrick's brother.

Both Patrick Treacy and Mary Egan are found in searches for Edward Treacy's siblings, but I can find no further information.

Are there any more resources available to try to find his siblings or parents?

I have tried the LDS site and RootsIreland with no luck.

Thanks

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 May 13 08:14 BST (UK) »
You can sometimes trace back a generation before parish records for the head of household at least using the Tithe records, c1826 for this area, but unfortunately there's no sign that I could see of the townland of Derrew, even though the civil parish of Kilquain is listed. Derrew could be a exempt land, or of a type or usage that was not Tithable. There are some Tracey households in one of the adjacent parishes - Kiltormer, and also a few parishes south in Tynagh There could also be others in civil parishes a little further away from Derrew...

I would think the 'gap' you are finding in your Tracey line is possibly for the time they were in Derrew townland as shown on the Census and earlier on Griffith's in 1856 before the RC parish records for that area are available. It's possible that the Tynagh connection might be further back..
My Surname Interests

Offline jjtjr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 May 13 14:25 BST (UK) »

You are right about Tynagh.

The Family History is that Patrick Treacy came from Tynagh and moved to Derrew. I have found some Treacy Family names in Tynagh:

John Treacy and Catherine Whelan had a son John in 1816.
Michael Treacy and Catherine Comber had Bridget baptised in 1816, Margaret 1819 and John in 1821.
Martin Treacy and Mary Kelly had a daughter Winifred baptised in 1817.
Francis Treacy and Honora Groman had a son Martin baptised in 1817, Francis in 1820 and James in 1823.
John Treacy and Biddy Fahy had a Michael in 1820 and Bridget in 1823.
Finally a Hugh Treacy and Mary Treacy had a son James baptised in 1823

If Patrick Treacy was born in the late 1700’ and baptised in the Tynagh parish details of his birth/baptism may not be available as registration did not commence until 1816.

I have also some Treacy's mentioned in the Tythe records from Tynagh:

Edmond Freacey [Treacy], Carreel Skyane Rahan, Tynagh, Galway, 1826
Edmond Treacy, Skyarra, Tynagh, Galway, 1826
Francis Treacy, Lisduffbana, Tynagh, Galway, 1826
Laurence Treacy, Paultalloon, Tynagh, Galway, 1826
Lawrence Treacy, Poultaloon, Tynagh, Galway, 1826

My problem is that without knowing Patrick's parents or siblings names that I have no way of knowing how to match them.

I guess that I need to find a long lost Relative with a Family Bible.

Thanks.

Offline jjtjr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 03:26 BST (UK) »
As i mentioned above, the Typhe Applotments for Tynagh show the following:

Francis Treacy, Lisduffbana, Tynagh, Galway, 1826

Lisduff is North of Tynagh and only 5 km from Killimor, near Derrew. This is the closest geological match that I have found so far.

I did a search and found a Church Baptism for a Francis Treacy born 15 June 1820 in Tynagh. His parents were Frank Treacy and Honora Gorman. The sponsors were Rose and John Killeen.  I would guess that Frank is the Francis mentioned in the Tithe Appkotments.

He could possibly be a brother to Patrick Treacy, but I don't have any way to tie them together.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 11:16 BST (UK) »
Without baptism & marriage records being available it means there's a break in the line so it's going to be possible matches, rather than definite family links, especially as in this case there is evidence based on Griffith's that the family were at Derrew townland at least 15 years before the available parish records. There could easily be another layer of Tracey events from when they lived in Derrew that will remain hidden.
My Surname Interests