Author Topic: Fulton's of Wigtownshire  (Read 6081 times)

Offline junie43

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fulton's of Wigtownshire
« on: Friday 05 October 12 03:08 BST (UK) »
Hi there i am from Australia and i believe that my ancestor Sarah Jane Fulton originally came from Wigtownshire, she would have emigrated to Northern Ireland in the 18th Century, i think her family were flax growers and were listed in the Flax Growers Bounty List 1796 for County Tyrone, Ulster, Nth Ireland. Their names being James and Victor Fulton. I have no info about Sarah's life in Northern Ireland as almost all early records have been destroyed. I know Sarah married John White they lived in Newtown Stewart, Ardstaw, County Tyrone, Ulster, they had 4 daughters and 1 son, one daughter being my great grandmother who was born in 1848. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Junie

Offline kaperc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Fulton's of Wigtownshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 November 15 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi there i am from Australia and i believe that my ancestor Sarah Jane Fulton originally came from Wigtownshire, she would have emigrated to Northern Ireland in the 18th Century, i think her family were flax growers and were listed in the Flax Growers Bounty List 1796 for County Tyrone, Ulster, Nth Ireland. Their names being James and Victor Fulton. I have no info about Sarah's life in Northern Ireland as almost all early records have been destroyed. I know Sarah married John White they lived in Newtown Stewart, Ardstaw, County Tyrone, Ulster, they had 4 daughters and 1 son, one daughter being my great grandmother who was born in 1848. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Junie

Hello, Junie. I hope you are still watching your messages. My family had a number of Fulton ancestors in the area of Newtownstewart, including our 2nd great-grandparents William and Mary Ann Fulton (possibly cousins?), whose marriage was witnessed by a James Fulton. I would be very interested in sharing information with you.

Best regards,
Kathleen
England - Todmorden/Burnley: Cooper/Berry, Horsfall, Greenwood, Kershaw, Strachan, Hargreaves, Platt, Barcroft, Hamer. Derby, Staffs: Grimley, Ison.

England - Somerset: Chivers, Lintern, Memory; Tefft

Ireland - Co. Tyrone: McElrea, Fulton, Forsythe

Offline junie43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 November 15 04:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi there i would greatly appreciate any info that you have and i will gladly share mine with you.
What would you like to know? I have a lot of info regarding John and Sarah's children etc, and many thanks for your reply.
Regards June

Offline junie43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi there can you tell me if William and MaryAnn are the parents of Sarah Jane Fulton who married John White. Appreciate any info you have for the fultons in NewtownStewart or point me in the direction where i can look.
Many Thanks  Junie

Offline kaperc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 February 16 00:52 GMT (UK) »
William and Mary Anne's daughter Sarah Jane Fulton emigrated to New Zealand in 1874 and married Peter Niven of Scotland the following year.

We are having a bit of trouble with William and Mary Ann. William's will in 1883 states he is a widower, but Mary Anne died in 1888. Soooo...we are wondering if we still don't have the right parties in this couple. All the facts line up until that time, but there are so many Fulton families involved, we could well have made a mistake.

England - Todmorden/Burnley: Cooper/Berry, Horsfall, Greenwood, Kershaw, Strachan, Hargreaves, Platt, Barcroft, Hamer. Derby, Staffs: Grimley, Ison.

England - Somerset: Chivers, Lintern, Memory; Tefft

Ireland - Co. Tyrone: McElrea, Fulton, Forsythe