Author Topic: Loch Ryan Cemetery  (Read 11478 times)

Offline catleugh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Into every life a little sun must shine.
    • View Profile
Loch Ryan Cemetery
« on: Thursday 18 April 13 20:48 BST (UK) »
Before she died, an aunt of mine wrote a simple family tree.  She said that her grandparents were living on a farm in Leswalt, and that her grandmother, Jane Cunningham (nee Murdoch), died between 1897 and 1901, and was buried in "... the cemetery beside Loch Ryan (Stranraer) ..."
Can't seem to find a cemetery near Leswalt AND Loch Ryan.  Any ideas?
Catleugh - Cunningham - Welsh - Lewis - Lumsden - Lumley-Murdoch-Hoggan-Cowie-Lester-Amos-Pearson-Herbert-Spalding

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Loch Ryan Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 April 13 23:57 BST (UK) »
Hi catleugh,
Dumfies and Galloway Family History Society might be able to help with your query. They also publish and sell for a small cost, booklets of Monumental Inscriptions.
Their web address is www.dgfhs.org.uk

Looby

Offline catleugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 April 13 06:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Looby. I've confirmed that the family did live at Leswalt for the 1881 Census, but have now found her death entry on the Scotlands People website, and she died in Cults, in the parish of Inch, County Wigtown, in 1886, so maybe she isn't buried near Leswalt after all.
Catleugh - Cunningham - Welsh - Lewis - Lumsden - Lumley-Murdoch-Hoggan-Cowie-Lester-Amos-Pearson-Herbert-Spalding

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 April 13 08:25 BST (UK) »
From what I can gather from this website  www.genuki.org.uk  on it's Wigtownshire pages Inch Parish Church is situated near Castle Kennedy (which appears to be a small village) and also close to the White Loch (a small inland loch). The village of Cults is only a couple of miles away. There is a cemetery at the church. Don't know if this is of any help?
Good look with your search,
Looby

Offline catleugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 April 13 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby,
That sounds possible.  I'm hoping to be able to visit the Family History Society at Dumfries that you told me about shortly, and maybe go on to look at some cemeteries.  I'll make another post if I find anything interesting.
Thanks again.

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 April 13 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   There is a cemetery at Leswalt I know as my great grandparents are  buried there.
The one  at Castle Kennedy -- at Inch Parish Church this is on the A75  about three miles out of Stranraer on the Dumfries road -- my grandparents and many family members are also buried there.

One which is right next to the sea is Cairnryan which is about three miles out of Stranraer on the A77
more relatives buried there.

There is website called Wigtownshire List which is for people researching the Wigtownshire area many of the members are willing to do lookups.

I have a few of the booklets will have a look over the weekend see if I can find your relatives

Good Luck,

suzilad

Offline catleugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 April 13 07:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info suzilad,
I'm heading up that way next week, and will take a look at all of those.

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 April 13 10:08 BST (UK) »

Hi Catsleugh,
                    I have the books for Cairnryan  Kirkcolm and Leswalt Cemeteries just had a look and she is in none of them.
There is in LESWALT cemetery -- a Patrick Cunningham --  a cattle dealer from Stranraer who died 2 Feb 1889 aged 47 his stone was erected by his brother John Cunningham  who died 27 January 1894 aged 60
Could they be yours ?
Don't know exactly when you intend going to the area try this before you go -- phone Stranraer
Council offices -- ask for the dept. that deals with this it is at Blackparks Industrial Estate -- the girl is very helpful as you don't know the cemetery she will get back to you with details -- as you are going to
be in the area you can pop in and she will show you exactly where the grave is --.
I found in my research there that my relatives all went back to the village where they were born.
My great grandfather was born in Leswalt but died in New Luce and was taken back to Leswalt for burial
Let me know how you get on.

suzilad

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 April 13 10:26 BST (UK) »
Suzilad,
Would it be impertinent of me to ask if there is a Thomas Dorman or Annie Dorman in  your books?
These are ggg grandparents of mine who lived in Leswalt and Stoneykirk. Thomas died in 1864/5 and Annie died years later around 1890's.

Hope you don't mind me asking but I was planning a trip to Stranraer area this spring to have a grave hunt and any help would be appreciated.

Hope Catsleugh finds Mrs Cunningham!

Looby