Author Topic: AITKEN/RUSH family  (Read 6801 times)

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
AITKEN/RUSH family
« on: Tuesday 14 August 07 23:10 BST (UK) »
Trying to track down the parents  for Jane Aitken RUSH b c1829 Neilston, RFW.  Her death certificate records William AITKEN and Agnes HILL  ;D  unfortunately her husband death certificate records his parents as Patrick RUSH & Agnes HILL.  Can anyone help ???
All information taken from my personal database compiled from original sources - Crown Copyright acknowledge as stated.
Family names:SPINK (WRY), GOODWIN (DBY), PRATT (SCT & WRY), WILDGOOSE (DBY), STRETTON (LEI & DBY), MARTIN(ANS), NICOLL(ANS), McKENNA(TYR), STRAIN(DON), WALLACE(FIF), RAE(STI), PENMAN(STI) & CAPPIE(ELN).

Offline M.R. Dien

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: AITKEN/RUSH family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 August 07 20:32 BST (UK) »
Checking the 1841 census shows a 12 yr old Jean Aitken (jane, jean and Janet are all interchangeable) living in Neilston village
Jean Aitken,12
Geo Brash,40
Agnes Hell,30 I presume they mean Hill could she be Jeans mother ?
Wedow Hell,70 and again possibly Widow Hill
Janet Lockhead,55

The 1851 census for neilston can be seen at
http://www.barrhead-scotland.com/Culture/history/1851census.asp
and shows Jean and Peter Rush (born in ireland) with a 5 month old son also called Peter
~M~

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 August 07 21:59 BST (UK) »
many thanks.  It's just that I couldn't believe that their mother's name was the same - Agnes HILL ::)
I checked out the site but the entry wasn't in the right order. After moving them around I came up with this.  Only one I couldn't "fit" was Elizabeth.  She is too young to be Agnes' but if she's Peter's daur then she's illegitimate. :-[

1851 Census recs.
Census Place: Neilston, Renfrewshire.
Agnes Hill RUSH, head, wid., 65, Ireland
Michael RUSH, son, umm., 28, Calico Printer, Ireland
James RUSH, son unm.,  20, Bleacher RFW, Neilston
George RUSH, son, unm., 16, Cotton Spinner, RFW, Neilston.
Peter RUSH, head, marr., 24, Printer Press, Ireland
Jean Aitken RUSH, wife, 26, Bleacher, RFW, Neilston.
Elizabeth RUSH, gdaur, 2, RFW, Neilston ???
Peter RUSH, gson, 5 months, RFW, Neilston

All information taken from my personal database compiled from original sources - Crown Copyright acknowledge as stated.
Family names:SPINK (WRY), GOODWIN (DBY), PRATT (SCT & WRY), WILDGOOSE (DBY), STRETTON (LEI & DBY), MARTIN(ANS), NICOLL(ANS), McKENNA(TYR), STRAIN(DON), WALLACE(FIF), RAE(STI), PENMAN(STI) & CAPPIE(ELN).

Offline M.R. Dien

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 August 07 23:00 BST (UK) »
There are separate entries in the 1851 for each of the elements - in one you have Peter Rush his wife Jean and son Peter aged 5 months living in Neilston Village. Peter is listed as the head of that family. Page 10 of the census records

The Elizabeth Rush you mention is listed as being in Neilston Manse and granddaughter to the head of that household James Kerr who is 58 yrs of age. Page 32 - James is listed as the gardner

On a different page but giving the same address of Neilston Manse you have another branch of the Rush Family
Agnes Rush ,65 - who is listed as Head with her 3 sons
George Rush,16, Cotton Spinner
James Rush,20, Bleacher
Michael Rush,28, Calico printer.
Page 36
~M~

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
AITKEN/RUSH family
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 August 07 07:51 BST (UK) »
that fits with what i have.  Elizabeth is the odd ones out.  She will most probably connected but haven't found the connection yet.  Based on what I have in 1841.

1841 Census recs.
Peter RUSH (Sr) M 50 Ag Lab Ireland     
Agnes Hill RUSH F 45 Ireland     
Agnes RUSH F 20 Cotton Piecer Ireland     
Peter RUSH (Jr)  M 18 Cotton Bleacher Ireland     
James RUSH M 13  Cotton Piecer Renfrewshire     
George RUSH M 7 Renfrewshire

so in 1851

Agnes Hill RUSH, head, wid., 65, Ireland
Michael RUSH, son, umm., 28, Calico Printer, Ireland
James RUSH, son unm.,  20, Bleacher RFW, Neilston
George RUSH, son, unm., 16, Cotton Spinner, RFW, Neilston

and,

Peter RUSH, head, marr., 24, Printer Press, Ireland
Jean Aitken RUSH, wife, 26, Bleacher, RFW, Neilston.
Peter RUSH, son, 5 months, RFW, Neilston 

Dave ;D

Offline M.R. Dien

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 August 07 08:56 BST (UK) »
Strangely in 1861 this Elizabeth is still with James kerr and his family although in that census their address is given as the Poor Asylum,Neilston

James Kerr,66,Gardener
Jane Kerr,60,
Mary Kerr,39, Daughter, Bleacher
David Caldwell,16, Grandson and Gardeners labourer
Elizabeth Rush,11, Grand-daughter and Bleacher

It is possible that Elizabeth is the illegitimate daughter of Mary Kerr and one of the Rush brothers who although not marrying her has acknowledged her birth/or identified as the father  by his name being used
~M~

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 August 07 17:28 BST (UK) »
thanks for that.  the only way to find out for sure is to track down her baptism on the OPR.

Dave ;D

PSI have the marriage certificate of Peter RUSH & Sarah CANE 1879.  Can't read some of it could you help?

Offline M.R. Dien

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 August 07 18:54 BST (UK) »
On the 27th June 1879 at Grahamston, Barrhead, after banns were called in accordance with the Roman Catholic Church

Peter Rush, Bachelor, age 28 residing at Dovecothall,Barrhead, employed as a Bleachfield Labourer.
Father Peter Rush Bleachfield labourer mother Jane Rush MS Aitken

Sarah Caine, spinster, aged 22, Bleachfield worker, residing at Grahamston, Barrhead.

her parents are John and isabella (MS Caldwell) both deceased.

The witnesses were Mary Graham and Patrick Hannigan .... there is a sidebar note of a clerical error when they have corrected the witness Mary's surname to Graham
~M~

Offline M.R. Dien

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 August 07 18:57 BST (UK) »
thanks for that.  the only way to find out for sure is to track down her baptism on the OPR.

Unfortunately if she is the same religion as Peter (ie Roman Catholic) these records are not yet available online although some records are held at the NAS.
~M~