Author Topic: Dickson Family Johnstonebridge  (Read 6852 times)

Offline vixenvon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dickson Family Johnstonebridge
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 21:31 BST (UK) »
hi guys i have just joined this site and me and my partner are now the proud owners of johnstonebridge church, we got the keys in february. i will answer any queries the best i can and also will have a look to see if i  can find your gg grandpaernts headstones. we are going to convert it into a family home and eventually live there, we are from the local area we have strimmed the grass and its looking alot better already

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 March 11 21:35 BST (UK) »
Vixenvon, welcome to rootschat and even more importantly (for me anyway) my very best wishes for your new family home.
I was heading home up the M.74 2 or 3 years ago and stopped by as I normally do.  I met a young man who was hoping to buy for his family, but since then on the last couple of visits there's been no change so I presume that isn't your purchase?   On my last trip I met a couple of ladies who said they were local and 'just looking'.
In common with many on this board I have a fair few family members in the Churchyard and I have worried about what would happen to their graves.   From what I know of my great great grandmother in particular being surrounded by a family and the noise and laughter of normal children would please her no end.   I do hope all works out for you.
As an occasional visitor I hope we can still sneak in and lay the odd flower on graves occasionally, but I do realise that it will be your garden.   I'd far rather their graves were in a lovingly tended family home than in the abandoned run down state the churchyard has looked lately.
Best wishes for the future,  Maggie 1895
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline vixenvon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 March 11 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie 1895 thank you! Yes you are more than welcome, the local council still own the graveyard we have a bit of land opposite for our garden but it would be lovely to see some flowers. We are hoping at some point to restore the graves to there former glory as some are broken just with old age but the council say that is not there responsibilty it's down to family members, I need to look into that but we are thinking about planting some flowering bulbs, and keeping ontop of the grass cutting helps the look of it, I'm not sure what happened with the guy you met who was going to buy it originally all I know is he pulled out at the last minute and it went back on the market( but that benefited us)we looked at in last summer and fell in love with it .we have two boys 16 & 14 so definatley a busy family home:) when you are next down feel free to knock on the door and you can see how things are coming along x

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 April 11 16:24 BST (UK) »
How absolutely wonderful to know that the beautiful quiet spot down by the river is not going to continue to fall into disrepair, but will be a family home.   If only all our ancestor's graveyards could be that lucky.   It's lovely to know that if I sneak in to see my family (you'll know me, I'm the idiot who sits down beside them and tells them all about the new arrivals) I won't feel I'm trespassing.

And a Rootschatter to boot - how cool is that, it just gets better and better!

I do hope now you have joined the board you post your own questions, brick walls etc because I'm sure everyone here will be as helpful and friendly to you as they all have been to me.   This is a great board.   
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline vixenvon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 15:55 BST (UK) »
hi maggie did you get my private message :)

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 18:42 BST (UK) »
I just logged on today and got this, and see I have a message as well.   I was driving north after a long weekend down south when I called into the churchyard on Monday.

It's different already!   The sun was shining between the clouds, there was life, the old church door was open, it no longer felt abandoned and sad.  It was so nice to see the difference made just by your being around and getting on with restoration - I can't wait to see how much it will improve when you are finished.

I just looked at your message - thank you.   I'll reply to that separately, but have to dash now.   Glad you got the card, it's a bit of a challenge to find a 'welcome to your new church and graveyard' range!