Author Topic: de Havilland Aircraft Company Witney - 1939-1949  (Read 6424 times)

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
de Havilland Aircraft Company Witney - 1939-1949
« on: Monday 05 May 14 21:38 BST (UK) »
I am not sure whether this is an appropriate place to post this but anyway here goes.

Did your parents or grandparents work at de Havilland's at Witney during the war years???

My parents and I (age about 12 months) moved from Hatfield to Witney in late 1939.
de Havilland's had set up a repair facility at the old first World War RAF Base there in order to do major repair work for the Royal Air Force on Hurricane and Spitfire aircraft. They also did occasional work on Mosquitoes as well as servicing some of the few civilian DH aircraft that were still permitted to fly during those war years. My parents both worked there during this period.

In the last 3-4 years before it closed, they converted military aircraft for civilian use and also re configured Mosquitoes for foreign governments. The factory was closed in late 1949 and the few workers who were retained were moved back to the company’s head quarters at Hatfield.

During its period of operation around 1,000 personnel, both men and women were manpowered by the Ministry of Supply  from all over the country to Witney, many were retrained and after the war they were allowed to return to their homes and there pre-war occupations.

The workforce during those war years were a very close knit group, they worked hard over long hours and it was decided because of this, many wished to stay in touch with their co-workers. To that end the DH Witney 1939-1949 was formed, some 700 ex workers joined and annual re unions were held from 1949 until the late 1980s when the Association was wound up, the funds donated to the Witney Hospital and a brief history of the operations during the war given to the DH Hatfield Museum.

My father, who was secretary of the Association kept all the records from that period, I copied most of them on his death and passed them on to the Witney Library were they are still held. I have a complete list of the names of all those who were members. Over the last few years I have been developing a web site to honour those who worked there during that time, we remember those who flew sailed and soldiered around the world but tend to forget that there were many more who laboured long and hard to support them in the efforts.

I am anxious to get in touch with sons/daughters of those men and women or anyone who has information of the company during those years. If you have any information feel free to post here or if you prefer, PM me.

Alan NZ

Britton:Hawkins: London
Stephenson: Cox: London
Straughan: Sweeney: Newcastle/Durham
Liddell: Hobson:Newcastle/Durham
Horne:Oxfordshire/ Bienfait/Winnipeg
Voss: Dorset

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: de Havilland Aircraft Company Witney - 1939-1949
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 May 14 21:52 BST (UK) »
Alan,

Although I can't add to your knowledge of the DH operation at Witney I wish you well in your endeavours.

You are right about the lack of commemoration of those who served behind the scenes during WW2 and it is only fitting that folks like yourself do what they cab to remedy the omission.

Is your website up and running yet. If so, please give us all the link.

Regards,

Keith

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 02:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,
no it is not up yet, it is very much 'work in progress' although progress is very slow. I have got a little information on the Home Guard website which refers to dads involvement with the de Havilland platoon you will find it here.
http://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/DotherReminiscences47Witneystaffshg.htm

Alan  NZ
Britton:Hawkins: London
Stephenson: Cox: London
Straughan: Sweeney: Newcastle/Durham
Liddell: Hobson:Newcastle/Durham
Horne:Oxfordshire/ Bienfait/Winnipeg
Voss: Dorset

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 May 14 08:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alan,

It's amazing how often my own and other people's research takes me back to that Home Guard website. Some really interesting documents and images relating to your father there. I look forward to the emergence of your website.

Good luck,

Keith

Offline Pixiedust

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 September 17 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Keith.
I noticed your post on the staff of De Havilland's .
My Grandfather worked at De Haviland's as did most of my Grand fathers brothers from just after the first WW and my grand father till he retired he was born 1896 Islington and worked with the firm all his life.
I would love to trace a few people if the records are available.
Kind Regards
Yvonne

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 September 17 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Pixie and welcome to Rootschat.

I think it probable that Alan's projected website may become your best hope but you might also do well to contact the de Havilland Museum, www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk. Tel: 01727 826400. They may have some records.

Good luck with your search.

Keith

Offline Pixiedust

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 September 17 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Keith.
Thank you for the welcome I have contacted the De havilland Museum and they said they don't hold the records.
They said there is a workers site and Facebook page for workers but not found them.
Brickwall and head :)
Pixie

Hi Pixie and welcome to Rootschat.

I think it probable that Alan's projected website may become your best hope but you might also do well to contact the de Havilland Museum, www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk. Tel: 01727 826400. They may have some records.

Good luck with your search.

Keith

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 September 17 20:03 BST (UK) »
Pixie,

I would like a penny for every time I've been there!

I've tried several search criteria on Google but I can't find them either. Sorry.

Regards,

Keith

Offline Pixiedust

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 September 17 20:05 BST (UK) »
You have to laugh researching has obstacles all the way....
x

Pixie,

I would like a penny for every time I've been there!

I've tried several search criteria on Google but I can't find them either. Sorry.

Regards,

Keith