Author Topic: John Eltham of Eynsham  (Read 2818 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Eltham of Eynsham
« on: Thursday 15 May 14 18:58 BST (UK) »
I'm really confused now, I thought I had the Eynsham Elthams sorted out.

I have a John Eltham born about 1795. He married Mary East in Eynsham in 1816. Mary had had an illegitimate child shortly before the marriage. His name was Henry.
John and Mary had three known children after their marriage: John bapt 20 Jul 1820 Mary bapt 24 Nov 1824 and Elizabeth Adelaide bapt 6 Jan 1836.
In 1841 census, John senior is missing, but John jnr, Mary and Adelaide are listed together. In 1842 a John Eltham marries Ann Wiggins. This John is described as a widower. In the 1851 census John and Ann Eltham are listed with 6 children. From their ages it is clear that it is John jnr has married Ann Wiggins. John snr is living with Jane Churchill as married with their illeg daughter Emily and his older daughter (Elizabeth) Adelaide.
So if John jnr (who married Ann) was a widower in 1842, who was his first wife, when did they marry and when did she die?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Eltham of Eynsham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 May 14 19:00 BST (UK) »
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott