Author Topic: Look up please from Wendlebury Church records  (Read 1908 times)

Offline jackstaff

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up please from Wendlebury Church records
« on: Thursday 05 June 14 15:04 BST (UK) »
I have James Read baptised July 30th 1866 in Wendlebury Church. He does not have a birth certificate so I would like to know if there is any mention of who the father is.
Susannah Read is his mother and it says she is a widow. She is a widow of 5 years. Her husband David died 5 years before James was born. However, David had a brother James living close by who is married with a family, indeed he has a son Emmanuel Baptised Feb 10th 1867 Parents James and Emma.
We have got this information from the Archives but have not seen the original church book so we are hoping that it might make mention of the father.

When James married he stated his father's name on the marriage certificate as James.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up please from Wendlebury Church records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 June 14 17:20 BST (UK) »
James Read's baptism isn't mentioned in the OFHS HED01 CD transcript for Wendlebury, the only Read of any spelling is Alfred in 1874.

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 17:05 BST (UK) »
Jackstaff -
I have James Read baptised July 30th 1866 in Wendlebury Church. He does not have a birth certificate so I would like to know if there is any mention of who the father is.

I have looked at the scan of the register, and, in agreement with the OFHS trascript, confirm there is no READ entry.

>snip

We have got this information from the Archives but have not seen the original church book so we are hoping that it might make mention of the father.

Would you like to forward me the information from the Oxfordshire History Centre to help (at) ofhs.org.uk so I can try to crack the puzzle!

Wendy
OFHS HelpDesk

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 18:48 BST (UK) »

As they say in panto, "Oh, no you don't!"

That baptism is in Weston on the Green.  The scan shows the OFHS transcript on BIC01 to be correct - 1867 Jul 30 James s Susannah READ, widow.  There are no untranscribed marginal notes.

You have to consider that it may be that Susannah doesn't know the identity of the father!

The Emmanuel to whom you refer only lived 6 months.

You might like to register your interest on the Oxfordshire Surname Interest List, OXSIL, www.oxsil.org.uk , and also contact those already registered with READ interests in that area.

Wendy
OFHS HelpDesk