Author Topic: Steam Drifter - Eminent  (Read 8929 times)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Drifter - Eminent
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 February 07 18:43 GMT (UK) »
When you found the information of James' birth was his parents George Mackie (Blacksmith)  and Jane.  This was taken from his marriage certificate.

If you got his actual date of birth or christening could you let me know what it is.

Thanks
Betty

bervonian

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 February 07 22:50 GMT (UK) »
I only found the year of his birth by searching the S.P. index.  I expect you know that his birth certificate would give the maiden surname of his mother and the place and date of the marriage.  When you have credits you could also check the death certificate of the James Mackie who died at Snizort in 1923.

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 February 07 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your help.

Once I have seen the necessary certificates I will be able to sort out a few things.  I have his mum's maiden name from James' s marriage certificate so that will also help.

Cheers
Betty

Offline jamabear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 December 13 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

James Mackie was my grandfather.   He was a ships engineer and was lost over board from the Herring Steam Drifter Eminent off Skye on 19th December, 1922.   He left a widow and 4 sons. the youngest of whom was my father.     My father died on 17th December, 1995, aged 75 years.    Only one son survives and he is in a care home in Elgin.

I am in the process of setting up a registered charity in my grand fathers name (The James A Mackie Memorial Trust) to carry out scientific research in the Moray Firth.     One of my cousins is putting together a family tree on our grand fathers side.   A niece of his wife is putting together a family tree on my grand mothers side.    James Mackie's wife came from Garmouth area where I now live.

Would love to hear from you Betty.
Regards,

James A Mackie
29th December, 2013.

Edit - living person

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 December 13 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi James
Since putting this message on the forum I have found a lot of information on the MacKenzie side of the family.  Jane Ann MacKenzie would be your gr. Granny.  She married John Reid.  You probably have all this.

We would love to hear from you again.

I will give you our email address on a private message.

Betty

Offline jamabear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 December 13 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Betty,

I am still trying to get to grips with this web site.    I assume that you are now in touch with the folks at the Muir of Lochs.      If so you will get my phone number from them.   failing that try BT.com

Cheers,

Jim

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 December 13 11:12 GMT (UK) »
If you go to the top of the forum page you should see against your messages (1).  Click on it and you will get our email address.

Betty