Author Topic: William BUTCHER - St Osyth  (Read 3350 times)

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William BUTCHER - St Osyth
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 August 14 09:53 BST (UK) »
I have checked the brightlingsea registers but found nothing sadly. Only William butcher was great Bentley.
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 August 14 10:05 BST (UK) »
Oooh - one of the scanned wills on SEAX is a will of Robert Butcher in St. Osyth in 1710. It's perhaps a bit early, but it might give some clues? But no Butcher wills in Great Oakley (that is, on SEAX - they might appear in the red books they have which provide indexes for the wills on microfilm - apparently those are the registered wills, so although there is a lot of cross-over with the wills on paper in the archive, if the paper will is lost, it won't come up on SEAX but *will* be in the red books. Drop them an email to ask. You could ask for a scan from the index of all people with the surname Butcher, which will give you locations to search for as well. It's what I do with some of mine if I'm stuck. Of course, not a huge proportion of people leave wills, but they've broken down so many walls for me, that it's my next calling point after parish registers, or used in combination with...).

Then of course there's the ESfFH Poor Law CD. That's quite good, if you're lucky (?!) enough to have an ancestor make an appearance in an examination or what have you.

Offline Thunder Monkey

• RootsChat Member
  • ....ONWARD TO THE STARS !!!....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi nannyj, Hi helvissa,

My apologies for not replying sooner, I didnt get a notification email saying there had been a reply to my thread.

Thank you for the searching and replies, I will continue to attempt to figure out the link to William.
I appreciate all your continued help.

Helvissa, your website is looking great BTW.

Cheers, Butch.
Names that I am Very Interested in:
** BUTCHER ** (Essex)
LONG, JACOBS & CARDY (Essex)
BUTCHER (Kent)
LEWIS (Shropshire/Shrewsbury/Montgomeryshire)
BRAGG (London/Surrey)
GODDEN (Middlesex/Berkshire)
PRITCHARD (West Midlands)
JACKSON (West Midlands/Shropshire)
Drop me a PM if ya have any details, info or queries!

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 21:10 BST (UK) »
That's ok, and thanks! ;) My website has joined the 21st century even if it's still about old stuff. ;D

Offline Kayatthejohnsons.co.uk

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 20 November 14 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lee, my father Walter Ernest Butcher was the younger brother of your great grandfather Harry Leslie Butcher, your Grandfather John is my cousin. There were 7 boys and one girl. In chronological order: Stan, Len, Clary, Harold, Harry, Walter, Irene, Tom. I am not 100% sure but Tom may still be alive. There is still a lot of the butcher family in and around Brightlingsea, thanks so much for finding out so much about the family you've done an amazing job.
Kay Johnson your cousin twice removed!

Offline Thunder Monkey

• RootsChat Member
  • ....ONWARD TO THE STARS !!!....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 November 14 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lee, my father Walter Ernest Butcher was the younger brother of your great grandfather Harry Leslie Butcher, your Grandfather John is my cousin. There were 7 boys and one girl. In chronological order: Stan, Len, Clary, Harold, Harry, Walter, Irene, Tom. I am not 100% sure but Tom may still be alive. There is still a lot of the butcher family in and around Brightlingsea, thanks so much for finding out so much about the family you've done an amazing job.
Kay Johnson your cousin twice removed!

Hi Kay,

I have PM'd you.

Lee
Names that I am Very Interested in:
** BUTCHER ** (Essex)
LONG, JACOBS & CARDY (Essex)
BUTCHER (Kent)
LEWIS (Shropshire/Shrewsbury/Montgomeryshire)
BRAGG (London/Surrey)
GODDEN (Middlesex/Berkshire)
PRITCHARD (West Midlands)
JACKSON (West Midlands/Shropshire)
Drop me a PM if ya have any details, info or queries!