Author Topic: Looking for Women of South Africa 1935 book  (Read 2863 times)

Offline Talloulah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Women of South Africa 1935 book
« on: Thursday 02 October 14 17:24 BST (UK) »
I found some really exciting information on Ancestry24.za just as they closed for business and could not access all of the information. I understand that Ancestry.com has purchased the collection from them but have not seen it on there so far.
Does anyone know where I could get a copy of this book?
Howley, Hobson, Ballard, Law, Oakes, Miller

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Women of South Africa 1935 book
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 October 15 06:26 BST (UK) »
This seems to be a write up about the book. I suppose some libraries in South Africa may have copies of the book as it may not have had too much international distribution. Note it is Woman.

http://sellersdarius98.typepad.com/blog/2012/08/woman-of-south-africa-1935.html

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 October 15 10:34 BST (UK) »

Hi there

I tried that link and if you are looking for a particular name it seems to have a search function which allows you to search.  Give it a try you may be surprised and find what you are looking for. ;D

No word on Ancestry24 yet,  it is such a pity that local researchers have lost such a valuable data base as if one of the overseas ones buys it up it will be placed out of reach of many South African researches due to the unfavourable exchange rate at the moment :-\
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 October 15 12:17 BST (UK) »
I found this on the net. [S648] South African Women's Who's Who 1935, (Downloaded from www.familytree.co.za. Entry for Maude Barlow).
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.