Author Topic: street directory  (Read 5686 times)

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
street directory
« on: Friday 11 April 14 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am hoping that someone can help me Does Scotland have poll books like we do here in England.
I have a family member  who was born at 259  George Street Aberdeen. Although he was born in Scotland his parents were tailors and lived in England. Up until the 1871 census  George smith Mackie was a tailor in Surrey. On the 1881 He is now a master photographer and living in Colchester. He had a son 12th September 1874 at the above address which I have traced between 1877 and 1886 was a photographers under the name of William Thomson. I am hoping that someone can tell me Was the family living in Aberdeen at the time and he changed his profession or Did they just happen to be there by coincidence. Is there anyway I can find out please
Thanks
Ronnie

Offline heymin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: street directory
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 April 14 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, From the Aberdeen Post Office directory 1875/76, George S. Mackie was a photographer at 259 George Street and also in the 1876/77 book too. In the 1877/78 directory it is now William Thomson, photographer at 259 George Street. These directories were out of date by the time they were printed so exact dates are difficult. I hope this is some help.
Brian
Strachan,Wood,Leiper,Craig,King,Smith,Shearer,Reid,Wilson,Galloway,Buthlay,McLean.
Aberdeen,Slains,Nigg, Findon,Portlethen,Monquhitter,Cumineston,Banff,Oldmeldrum

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 April 14 15:22 BST (UK) »
I don't quite know what exactly you mean by 'poll books'. As far as I know the only information collected for a poll tax in Scotland was in 1696 or 1697, which won't be much use to you.

Seeing that you say you have traced this address from 1877 to 1886, I suspect you may already have covered the available resources.

There should be street/trade directories covering that period, and if so they may be accessible online in the National Library of Scotland's digital gallery. Failing that, I would try Aberdeen Public Library. They will tell you the names and occupations of many, but not all, householders.

There will be Valuation Rolls which will tell you the names of the proprietor, tenant and occupier of all dwellings each year for that period. These are not all available online but can be consulted in the National Library of Scotland in Edinburgh, Aberdeen Public Library and possibly other places in Aberdeenshire. They will tell you only the name of the householder, not those of other members of the household, or his/their occupations.

I seem to recall that there is or was a web site devoted to Victorian photographers. I have no idea whether it still exists, or whether it will have the information you want, but it might be worth a rake about, just in case.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 April 14 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Brian
Thankyou so much for that. I never knew they went back to Scotland so I was thinking perhaps they travelled when she was pregnant and that maybe they had gone for his mothers funeral. (I cant trace Amelia Fyfe (nee Mackie) death at all  But thank you so much for that I shall have to put on a different thinking cap now  :(
Ronnie

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 April 14 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian

Thanksfor the info In England the Poll books are I believe the forerunner of the electrol roll . They list every householder in the town for a particular year Even includes Absent Voters (away at war )
Still on the case though and will check out the Victorian thought too
Ronnie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 April 14 17:29 BST (UK) »
Ronnie, for Scotland, sounds like you need the Valuation Rolls. There are some now available for Scotland online, starting from 1885. See www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=2244

Those not online (the majority  ::))require a personal look up at the appropriate library resource.

You might find this of interest, a small booklet available to purchase from the Aberdeen FHS http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/ABERDEEN/2007-09/1189135951 On this, is:

Wm Thomson at 259 George St, Aberdeen. 1877-1886

This start year of 1877 goes well with what Brian mentioned earlier. No obvious mention there on that link of George Smith MacKie.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 April 14 19:00 BST (UK) »
In England the Poll books are I believe the forerunner of the electrol roll .

Ah. I didn't suggest the Registers of Electors because at that period they don't tell you anything more than the Valuation Rolls, even assuming that you can find them.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 April 14 19:42 BST (UK) »
thanks everyone for all your input.
Family tracing is harder than it looks isn't it ?  Such a shame families didn't talk to their children more.  However............onwards and upwards as they say

Regards
Ronnie :)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 April 14 22:13 BST (UK) »
Monica,the only entry in that book for G.S.Mackie, is : 1875 - 1876, at 259 George Street, Aberdeen. :)

flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.