Author Topic: Agnes Middlemas/middlemost  (Read 4753 times)

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Agnes Middlemas/middlemost
« on: Wednesday 17 April 13 11:39 BST (UK) »
Looking for any info on a Agnes middlemas/.born  Selrikshire .Died 3 july1876. married Daniel or David Stewart, thanks

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Middlemas/middlemost
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 12:28 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 April 13 01:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,find sorry i should have mentioned i have the census for 1841,1851,1861, 1871, but they are a bit confusing as they have the same names basically but the ages of Agnes and others not in sequence, im trying to figure it out.Im trying to find maybe birth dates or parents of.She was the grandmother who raised Jasper stewart who was the illigitimate son of Helen stewart{father James Stark}.Jasper Stewart was my husbands GG Grandfather.On the 1861 census it has Agnes as born in Linton Selkirk.

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 April 13 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If you notice on our 1861 transcription on www.maxwellancestry.com it gives place of birth for Agnes as Selkirk, Lindean. I have checked the original and this is a correct transcription. Lindean is in the parish of Galashiels which is matches with birthplace of Agnes in 1871. This could be a key piece of information in identifying the correct family. Although most of Galashiels Parish was in Selkirkshire, until the Boundary Commission's changes of 1891 some small parts of Galashiels parish, including Lindean, were actually in Roxburghshire. Even at the time, this caused confusion and it may be worth bearing this in mind.

I have also found this entry:

Stewart
Morebattle March 17th Here was Baptised Agness daughter to Daniel Stewart and Agnes Middlemost by the Revd. F. Clark

This is taken from CH3/520/02 - Records of Free, United Presbyterian (UP), United Free (UF) and Other Protestant Churches - Morebattle (Gateshaw) Associate Session (United Associate Session, United Presbyterian, United Free church) Copyright of the NRS.

This shows that Agnes' maiden name was Middlemost (I would also search under Middlemass). Also it shows Daniel and Agnes did not attend the Church of Scotland. This would indicate that Agnes' parents may also not have attended the Church of Scotland.

What do you know about Agnes? Her death certificate should give her parents' names, including her mother's maiden name, do you have it?

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 April 13 20:52 BST (UK) »
From the details on your other post (http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,644136.msg4909500.html#msg4909500) this would seem to be Agnes' parents:

1841: http://maxwellancestry.co.uk/census/41transcript.aspx?houseid=80307012
1851: http://maxwellancestry.co.uk/census/51transcript.aspx?houseid=80303087

Interestingly, in the 1861 their wee granddaughter (aged 6 months in 1861) is now in the census as daughter of George Dickson and who should be a servant in the house but Agnes Stewart, aged 21, born Morebattle; this would seem to be Agnes and Daniel's daughter.

http://maxwellancestry.co.uk/census/61transcript.aspx?houseid=80302058

Emma

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 April 13 22:47 BST (UK) »
Agnes Stewart nee Middlemas did not die 3/7/1876!   As I posted on your other thread she died 6/1/1895 aged 84 at Earlston, Berwickshire - stated to be widow of Daniel Stewart and informant of the death was her son John.   Her parents are given as James Middlemas, Shepherd (dec'd) and Ellen nee Stobie (dec'd).

I'm only able to view transcript of Scottish Census but found her:

1891 - Rachelfield, Earlston, Berwickshire

Agnes Stewart     80     b.Lindean, Selkirkshire
Christina Stewart   dau.   32      b. Linton, Roxburghshire
James Stewart grandson  14      b. Eccles, Berwickshire

(At same address in 1881 with those above plus son John) 

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline spacecookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you two. very much for the help, i would never have been able to do all this on my own. now it has given me some more information to work with and investigate. Also being close to completing my husbands tree while he's still with us, very much appreciated.