Author Topic: Seeking information about Knossingham and/or the Rawlings family please.  (Read 14200 times)

Offline Jaahda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I haven't been able to find any info about Knossingham. Can someone help pls?

Thanks
Yorkshire - Johnson, Rawlings, Bland, Lumley,
Lancs - Tomany, Chisholm.
Fraserburgh - Watt, Sim, Fraser, Noble, Lascelles.
NE Scotland - Davidson, Dalgarno.
Glasgow/Lanark - Tomany, Davidson.
Ireland - Tomany, Canning, Hughes, Donelly, Nevil.
Rutland - Charity, Rawlings.
N.England - Ede, Marlow.
Queensland - Day, Winterford.
In General - Tomany

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking information about Knossingham and/or the Rawlings family please.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 May 13 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

Do you mean Knossington which is in Leicestershire?

Can you give details of the Rawlings family you are researching plase - full names, birthyears etc

Please do not show details of anybody who is still living

EDIT

Is this linked to your other post which I have just seen

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,647136.new.html#new
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Jaahda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 May 13 14:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I suspect I have many Rawlings relatives in Rutland.

The 1861 Census return for this locale shows several Rawlings families;
"(1861 census; Address: Knossington, Braunston, Oakham)"

I couldn't find the place on Genuki either. In fact Genuki - usually such a wealth of information had very little about Rutland.

The earliest direct Rawlings ancestor I have tracked so far is; Rawlings, George Jos, b. 1796,         Rutland, Oakham, married to Sarah??? possibly Lyne. I have 4 children for them; Thomas, b1829, Rebecca, b 1831, Esmerelda, born 1841 and my direct ancestor William, born 1834 who married Mary Anne Woods.
They had 2 children before moving to Yorkshire some time before 1886. Indeed I also have not been able to find a birth or baptism entry For William, born after the 1861 Census - most likely in 1862.

Thanks

N.England - Ede, Marlow.
In General - Tomany

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 May 13 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

Let's take it a step at a time and set it out in order of event

George Joseph Rawlings b 1796 Oakham  married a Sarah - maiden name n/k

They had 4 children - presumably all born in Oakham??

Thomas 1829
Rebecca 1831
William 1834 - your direct line who married Mary Ann Woods
Esmeralda 1841

The 1851 shows George born 1793
No Esmeralda - shown as Emma in 1851 and this appears to be her birth reg

Births September qtr 1841
Emma Rawlings   Oakham  15 662

They had 2 children before moving to Yorkshire some time before 1886. Indeed I also have not been able to find a birth or baptism entry For William, born after the 1861 Census - most likely in 1862.

I assume this is a reference to William and Mary Ann?

So some more info please:

When and where did William marry Mary Ann 

You mention a William possibly born 1862 - where was he born?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Jaahda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 May 13 15:10 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for Emma's details.

George Joseph Rawlings married Sarah Lyne. This I extrapolate from the reading of many Census returns; though I can find no record of their marriage using the resources mentioned before.
Mary Ann Rawlings Nee Woods married William Rawlings (again this is inferred from |Census returns - I have found no details of marriage) and they lived in Knossington (or ham), Braunston, Rutland where they had two children in Rutland before moving to Wetherby, Yorkshire sometime before 1868 (not 1886 - sorry).
Since posting this thread I found the family on another Census (1851) which gives William a different county of birth (Stapleford, Leicestershire) - but despite this I still cannot find him.

Many thanks for you assistance :-)

George Joseph Rawlings b 1796 Oakham  married a Sarah - maiden name n/k

They had 4 children - presumably all born in Oakham??

Thomas 1829
Rebecca 1831
William 1834 - your direct line who married Mary Ann Woods
Esmeralda 1841

The 1851 shows George born 1793
No Esmeralda - shown as Emma in 1851 and this appears to be her birth reg

Births September qtr 1841
Emma Rawlings   Oakham  15 662

I assume this is a reference to William and Mary Ann?

So some more info please:

When and where did William marry Mary Ann and what was her maiden name

You mention a William possibly born 1862 - where was he born?
N.England - Ede, Marlow.
In General - Tomany

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 May 13 15:34 BST (UK) »
George Joseph Rawlings married Sarah Lyne. This I extrapolate from the reading of many Census returns

By extrapolate - do you mean guesswork?

Some Lyne people were living with them in 1841 but no relationship shown and they do not appear with them on later censuses between 1851-1871

In 1861 - George is shown as born 1790.  Where did you get his middle name of Joseph from as none of the census entries show it

Son William b 1835 is living with them in 1861 - unmarried and birthplace is Stapleford Leics

1871 shows George's birthyear as 1791 and he was 82 when he died in 1873 so I think 1790-1791 is probably more likely than 1796

It would be advisable to buy a copy of Emma's birth cert to confirm Sarah's maiden name if you are unable to find a marriage under Lyne

Offline Jaahda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 May 13 16:46 BST (UK) »
Extrapolate? I'd call it a somewhat educated guess - and I cannot imagine English records ever being as accessible in the online world as Scotland's People - oh - how I wish that England could be like that!!
Perhaps you may have an opinion as to whether or not it is likely that England may one day have all their GRO records online?

Something I'd really like to know - and all those genealogy sites advertise 'their wares' so ferociously is what records exactly are available online? For instance it might be nice if they'd say something like, "we have 37% of available records for this parish (etc) online".
Online genealogy is like a shark's world - except in Scotland LOL.

I came into this forum unsure of how anyone in here might be able to help.
This is my first encounter of Rootschat. I initially thought I'd arrived in a forum that was only for Rutland - but now I see that there are forums for many, many places. And that you (with the lovely looking pussycat) answer a lot of posts regarding differing regions.
Perhaps I need a better 'rundown' on what exactly 'rootschat' is all about.
I'd imagined it might be a place where lots of "local people help out people who discover they have familial roots".

I shall remain undaunted by my attempt at discovering my English ancestry via 'extrapolating' from the indeces and census returns available online. Ordering and paying for hundreds of certificates is way beyond my capacity - both financially and time-wise. Conversely, on Scotland's People it is both affordable to see original records and only takes a minimum amount of time.

Once again - thanks for any help you might be able to give me.

I appreciate any help you may be able to give me whilst I also wonder what resources you have access to that I don't have and I also wonder if I may too be able to gain access to something that I have not yet uncovered as an online resource.

Thanks

N.England - Ede, Marlow.
In General - Tomany

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 May 13 19:36 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately - educated guesses have often proved to be incorrect as many people will tell you having spent a lot of time and money only to subsequently find they were following the wrong line

and I cannot imagine English records ever being as accessible in the online world as Scotland's People - oh - how I wish that England could be like that!!
Perhaps you may have an opinion as to whether or not it is likely that England may one day have all their GRO records online?

Ancestry and FindMyPast have the full GRO (ie) BMD index from its inception in 1837 up to 2006 but unlike Scotland - the full details from those certificates are not viewable online.

Whilst marriages and deaths from 1837 can usually be found - failure to register a birth only became a fineable offence in 1875 so may births went unregistered prior to (and in some cases after) 1875

England and Wales have www.freebmd.org.uk which is an ongoing volunteer project and currently contains 228,234,652 distinct records and 288,486,564 total records

If you access the Home Page and click on "A breakdown by event and year can be viewed here" you can see the breakdown for each event

From it's title - you can see it's Free to access 

Perhaps I need a better 'rundown' on what exactly 'rootschat' is all about.

Rootschat is manned by volunteers with access to a variety of FH resources.  If you have difficulty tracing an ancestor or need help as to where to look for info - we will try to help

In return - we ask that you tell us what you already know about them and what census info you already have.  There's nothing more frustrating than spending a lot of time tracing someone only to find the poster already has that info.  We also ask that you tell us clearly what it is you need help with.

It is helpful if you set out the details in a logical sequence so they are easily understood - saves us having to come back to you for clarification.  If you look at your opening post - it tells us very little about exactly what info you are looking for.   

I haven't been able to find any info about Knossingham. Can someone help pls?

I'd imagined it might be a place where lots of "local people help out people who discover they have familial roots".

If by this you mean people who share the same FH - then you need to post the surnames you are researching on the various Surname Interests boards.  RC is linked to Google so if somebody is researching one of your surnames and uses Google - your post will be picked up

Whilst the cost of certificates is not cheap @ £9.25 per time - they can often help to advance your FH.  It is usually unneccesary to purchase "hundreds" given the amount of info now available online and via locally produced transcriptions

In this case - you are stuck because you don't have proof of Sarah's maiden name so are unable to find a marriage.  Emma's birth cert will provide that info. 

You keep referring to George as George Joseph - he has no middle name on any census entry and I asked in my reply above where you found his middle name from?  That type of info is important as it can often help eliminate other George Rawlings entries found in any search

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 May 13 00:53 BST (UK) »
Have read both threads and followed back via census/bmd records and you seem to have made some incorrect assumptions.

Williams wife Mary in Yorkshire was actually shown as Mary J. (and was in fact a Mary Jane) bc.1838 Laxton, Northamptonshire.   

The William who married Mary Ann Woods is not your man.   He appears on his own in 1871 although shown as married but is with her again in 1881 in Rutland when your William and Mary J. are in Yorkshire!

It would appear that your William was married twice.

William Rawlings/Charlotte Sharpe    Dec.qtr.1859 Oakham, Rutland.

1861 Census they are in Oakham Deanshold with the William whose birth you are seeking - he is aged 7 mos. on the census - ref.RG9 - 2306 - 81 - 3.   His birth reg'd Sept.qtr.1860 Oakham.

His second child in Rutland was Rosetta birth reg'd Sept.qtr.1862 Oakham.

Mother Charlotte appears to have died - death entry Dec.qtr.1863 Oakham.

William remarries in Yorkshire:

William Rawlings/Mary Jane Charity   Dec.qtr.1865  Thorne regn. district, Yorkshire.

As you know, in Yorkshire 1871 with his 2 elder children listed above.

Checking back on census in 1841 a Mary Charity in Laxton, Northamptonshire with parents - Edward and Catherine - ref. HO107 - 797 - 13 - 3 - 6.

There's a public tree online which I tend to agree with which states William bc.1836 Braunston, son of a Joseph Rawlings (1811-1845) and wife Mary Ann.   Unfortunately, the submitter of the tree has not investigated the marriages and only shows wive's Christian names although they have made the same conclusion as myself in that William was married twice i.e. 1st to a Charlotte and 2nd to a Mary Jane.

I can't check to see if marriages are on familysearch as cannot get it to work right now - just says 'loading' and freezes.

So, at this point in time, it would appear that the George you mention is not William's father at all.

Your William is consistent in that his birthplace is Braunston, Rutland (not Stapleford, Leicestershire) and his birth ca.1835-1836.   Without a copy of either of his marriage certificates one cannot confirm who his father was but it certainly looks like it was a Joseph married to a Mary Ann.  Family were living in Rotten Row, Oakham in 1841 and 1851 (Mary a widow by then).

As pointed out by CaroleW it is easy to start going down the wrong path without some kind of substantiation and your interpretation of things in this case definitely seems to be wrong i.e. your  William not married to Mary Ann Woods (this another couple), not born in Leicestershire and son of a George, and actually married twice, first to Charlotte Sharpe and then to Mary Jane (not a Mary Ann) Charity. 

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.