Author Topic: SCOTLAND  (Read 8672 times)

Offline Keren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SCOTLAND
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 July 05 22:20 BST (UK) »
 ;D cheers Anne, will note it down and put in my Scotland file.

Have a slight lead to my Liverpool James Scotland, 2 registered in Gores, one a Mariner registered at Mill street,  in early 1850's which ties in with my Phoebe's birth cert. and one a victualler in Egerton Street registered from 1855 to 1857. Which is on the 1861 census, as a pub but not with any Scotlands living in it. ........
Callaghan (Ireland,liverpool and st Helens 1840 to 1881.)  Scotland (liverpool pre 1860) Kiernan, Ritchie (Ireland, salford), Clarke ,Barton (salford greengates and Harpurhey/blackley up to 1930) griffiths, Robson, (Barton on Irwell, Irlam and West Midlands)

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 July 05 01:55 BST (UK) »
;D Hi sj, right if I am on the right track my Scotlands come from Alexander Scotland born in Borrowstouness, West lothian in 1785, his father was James born around 1732 Carriden Parish Linlithgow.

Not sure if the above are my Scotland family, but they are the main start of the Liverpool Scotlands shown on the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census'.

Hope this is helpful.
Keren

Modern day name of Borrowstouness is Boness, sometimes written Bo'ness.......

ibi

Offline Cwrwda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 October 14 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hello, is this conversation still going? Anyway I have lots of info on the Scotland family in Liverpool and their ancestry in Scotland going back to 1600's
cheers Shaun.
Alexander Scotland b.1785 was my distant grandfather and was apparently one of the first harbour masters for the port of Liverpool.

Offline djm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 October 14 20:43 BST (UK) »
I can help with Scotland family in Falkirk, Orwell (Kinross), Beath (Fife) back to David Scotland who married in 1759

Dave
Mott/Manary/Quail in Manchester/Salford
Scotland/Duncan in Falkirk/Beath/Kinross

Offline Keren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 October 14 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, yes I am always desperate to find out about the Scotlands.  I have decided that Alexander and Phoebe Scotland are linked to my James Scotland, who fathered my Gr gr Grandmother Phoebe Scotland, B. 1845 with Margaret Scotland nee Critchley.  Sadly we can find no trace of then apart from Phoebe's birth and marriage certs.
Callaghan (Ireland,liverpool and st Helens 1840 to 1881.)  Scotland (liverpool pre 1860) Kiernan, Ritchie (Ireland, salford), Clarke ,Barton (salford greengates and Harpurhey/blackley up to 1930) griffiths, Robson, (Barton on Irwell, Irlam and West Midlands)

Offline Cwrwda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 October 14 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Keren,

I have found the following:
Alexander Scotland b.11Jan 1785, Borrowstounness, Linlithgow, West Lothian. He married Phoebe Sault b. 1786, Lancashire on 22Nov 1804 Christ Church, Hunter St., Liverpool.
Alexander was a Mariner and Captain in 1813. He later went on to be a Shipping Master and a seamans Shipping Agent. He died in Jan 1855.
They had 9 children; Ann 1805, James 1808, Isabella 1810, Phoebe 1814, Margaret 1821, William 1822, James 1824, Joseph Henry 1828(my ancestor), Ann 1830.
Alexanders father was James Scotland b.1832 in Carriden Parish, Linlithgow. His mother was Isabel Cupar b 1837, Scotland.
With regards to your research, I have had a quick look for a Phoebe Scotland born in 1845 in Liverpool and found a birth register entry but the father is William Scotland b 1825 and mother is Emma Dutton b 1831. Could this be William, Alexanders son b. 1822?
Hope this helps, I do have more.
shaun

Offline Keren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 October 14 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Shaun

That Phoebe is Phoebe Charlotte, she was born in the Jan quarter, and marries a Quinn, she is also on the 1861 census as working in a pub, my Phoebe was born in the June 1/4 of 1845, and then disappears off the radar.  We think her mother dies, and she is taken in by Margaret Scotland, James' sister, who is now Magaret Dorey.  its all a bit confusing, as Phoebe saults seems to be involved in a lot of the baptisms and dates and names all seem to be mixed up.  We may be wrong, and Margaret Dorey may actually be her real mother, who never married James Scotland, but showed her name as Scotland on the birth cert......

Offline mrwhippy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 13 February 16 13:31 GMT (UK) »
I'm new to RootsChat so apologise in advance....

Alexander Scotland, master mariner, born 1785 in Bo'ness, West Lothian, was my ggg-grandfather.  After (presumably) running away to sea around 1800 he ended up in Liverpool where, on 22 November 1804, he married Phoebe (nee Salts, various spellings).  I am descended from their son Joseph Henry, b 21 April 1828; his son James was born on 15 July 1847, and James's daughter Emily Josephine Thornhill, nee Scotland, was my paternal grandmother, b 1 November 1881.

Alexander died at 55 Prince Edwin Street, Everton, on 15 January 1855, and Phoebe six days later.
The street is still there, but not the house.

Alexander's parents were James Scotland, b 1732, and Isabel Cupar (again multiple variant spellings), b ?.  She died at Miltown of Balgonie, Fife, on 4 April 1816 (I'm guessing that she was originally from Fife, Cupar being a town in that county, and that she returned there to family after being widowed, but I haven't yet been able to trace her any further back than her marriage to James on 19 June 1758 at Carriden).  There is a record (scotlandspeople.gov.uk) of a James Scotland being buried at Dollar cemetery (Clackmannan) on 17 April 1813, who may or may not be "our" James.

The latter James's parents were possibly a Robert Scotland and Katharine Foord, but I haven't been able to verify that.  However, generally scotlandspeople.gov.uk is a huge help when it comes to Scottish records.

I hope this will be useful to someone!

Offline Keren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 February 16 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, that is brilliant, thank you, and I am sure that Shaun can tie that in with his info. I still can't fit my Phoebe in, but I am sure with time I will.