Author Topic: Patrick Joseph Higgins bc1835  (Read 4623 times)

Offline louisejayne

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick Joseph Higgins bc1835
« on: Monday 29 April 13 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, my ggg grandfather, Patrick Joseph Higgins was born in Ireland in about 1836. His father was Michael, a farmer who died before 1876. Family story is that his birthplace was Roscommon. I have details of him in the UK from 1871 onwards living in Ludlow, Shropshire, England. i have his marriage cert in 1876 but it doesn't mention a place of birth but that his father is Michael (deceased). I haven't ordered his death cert - maybe i should do that, nor have I ordered any of his children's certs as I didn't think I needed any info off them - I may be wrong!
latest clues...I've found Patrick's daughter Kitty's autograph book and in 1908 she obviously visited people in Ireland. I've spent some time researching the names in the book - There are Feely's of Greatmeadow, Boyle and Coleman's of Main St, Ballaghaderreen, both in Roscommon. I am hoping that these are relatives, high chance that they are. I am just hoping now to find a marriage of a Higgins with one of these names - although if maternal side then I'll have no hope!
My gran says that the story was that his mother was given penance and had to walk around a well on her knees...story is that it might have contributed to her early death and Patrick left for England in disgust...
Any help in finding Patrick's birth/parents gratefully received!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Joseph Higgins bc1835
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 April 13 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat  :)

There are some Feelys in 1901 Irish census here

There are also lots of Colemans in Ballaghderreen and similarly with the Boyles. You can search both 1901 and 1911 Irish census http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ You may find some names you recognise.

Civil registration did not begin until 1864 in Ireland (non-Catholic marriages were earlier) and Family Search https://familysearch.org/ has Irish BMDs. There are deaths for a Michael Higgins but it is difficult with no real details.

Your little story made me smile, having walked around a holy well a few times (no knees!) Our story is that my mother in law climbed Croagh Patrick barefoot so that she would go to  America but she only got to Lancashire!!

Best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk