Author Topic: Carrigtwohill,Co Cork  (Read 30166 times)

Offline chedburger

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carrigtwohill,Co Cork
« on: Tuesday 30 March 10 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hello
Is anyone from Carrigtwohill?
I would just love to find out more about the place because my father who died in 1939 came from Woodstock.
Any assistance gratefully received
Thanks
chedburger
Fitzgerald/FitzGerald,Pettitt,Owen,Elsden,Plowman,Caswell,Suffolk,Carrigtwohill,Co.Cork.

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Carrigtwohill,Co Cork
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 22:05 BST (UK) »
I'm not living in Carrigtwohill but am very familiar with the village as my great grandparents came from there. What exactly do you want to know?
It was a typical rural Ireland village until 10/15 years ago when there was a lot of construction of Industrial  units & houses. It is now a large satellite town with a rail link to Cork City.
Here's a link to the local newsletter http://www.carrigtwohillcommunity.ie/history.htm
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline chedburger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 14:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your prompt reply.
Are you researching Fitzgeralds? My family is Fitzgerald who were in Woodstock in the 1911 census.The family head was David,his wife Bridget.Several of the family moved to southern England,and my father John Joseph eventually moved to Newmarket ( Suffolk) where he married my mother Edith Caswell.
I have been pondering why some of the family left Ireland and what happened to the rest of the family.
I guess Fitzgerald is a common family name round Cork.
I would also like to obtain some photos to see what the area looked like.
Thanks again for your reply
Regards
Chedburger
Fitzgerald/FitzGerald,Pettitt,Owen,Elsden,Plowman,Caswell,Suffolk,Carrigtwohill,Co.Cork.

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 15:18 BST (UK) »
Yes I'm researching Fitzgeralds from Carrigtwohill!!
I'm a Fitzgerald (before marriage).
My greatgrandfather was John Fitzgerald, he worked in the railway station in Carrigtwohill in the late 1800s and eventually became station master in Little Island in the early 1900s. He married Johanna Barry in Carrigtwohill in 1874. He died in 1928 and is buried with his wife and son's family in Carrigtwohill cemetery. I have done lots of research into Fitzgerald's of Carrigtwohill to try to pinpoint his exact family. I believe his father was William Fitzgerald but I can't be sure where he came from yet. My grandfather's & father's name  was also John Joseph Fitzgerald.
It is a very common name in East Cork but I imagine all the Carrigtwohill Fitzgeralds were related.
Have you any further info on your ancestors?
Fitzgerald East Cork
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline chedburger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
WE could be connected!! I had a quick look at the Carrigtwohill website.
I got some info from the Mallow Heritage Centre,including the 1911 census which shows:
David FitzGerald (57), Farmer, married (11 Feb 1882), born County of Cork
Bridget (52),wife (nee Colman)
Thomas (28),son
Helena (24),daughter
Bridget (18),daughter (became a nun)
David (14),son (moved to England)
John Joseph (11),son (my father,moved to England)
Agnes (9),daughter (moved to England)
Gertrude (6),daughter
11 children were born to Bridget 10 still living
Other children shown in Parish baptism register are:
Elizabeth (1885)
Mary (1888)
Margaret (1890)
Theresa (1895)
Do you have any connections?
Best Wishes
Chedburger

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 16:02 BST (UK) »
I can't see an immediate connection. My research suggests than my grgrandfather John was born to William Fitzgerald and Hanora Doyle in Curragh, Carrigtwohill in 1852. His father's occupation on his marriage cert says "carrier", I haven't yet discovered where his father was born. Your ancestors seem to have been farmers.
In Griffith's Valuation there a number of Fitzgeralds in Woodstock http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php .
I have examined the Carrigtwohill church registers and the original civil registration books and made copious notes on Fitzgeralds mentioned. I will have a look and see if there is anything that might be relevant to you.
Have you seen this old thread on the Ancestry boards http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/surnames.fitzgerald/1754/mb.ashx
Fitzgerald East Cork
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline chedburger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 16:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks
I have checked out your links.
The Griffiths looks interesting,but who are they?
I started the thread on Ancestry way back,and saw one reference by Mike FitzGerald to the marriage of my grandfather David to Bridget Coleman.
Re daughter Bridget who became a nun I have photos of her in her habit,and now need to find out what Order she was a member of.
Thanks again,what a good find you were.I thought I would not get anywhere with my research!!

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi chedburger

if you haven't already looked up Griffith's Valuation I suggest you look at it on www.askaboutireland.ie It is a survey that was done about 1850 & names the head of household for every house & plot of land. It shows whether they were owner or just occupier. Put in Fitzgerald, Cork  & Carrigtohill (this spelling) as civil parish. Under Thomas, who appears to be your David's father, you will see that John and Thomas Fitzgerald shared quite a lot of land in Woodstock. Meanwhile my gr-gr-grandfather William had only a house and yard in Barryscourt Road - the poor relation!
The church records for Carrigtwohill are available on www.irish-roots.ie this is a pay-per-view site but you can search for free. If you put Fitzgerald in the surname box and Carrigtwohill in the parish you can extract info by using initial A -Z in both First name & father's first name individually. It's a slow process but cheaper than paying €5 per record until you're sure you have the correct one.
The civil registers are indexed on the pilot search facility on familysearch.ie. These cover records post 1864.
If you can post the pic of your aunt the nun someone may be able to identify her habit.
I'll see what I can do about some pics of Carrigtwohill for you.
Fitzgerald East Cork
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline chedburger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 April 10 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Agho

Thanks for your info,progress at
I have had a quick look and will investigate further.
The family have had a mixed history,but we manage to survive!
I will post Auntie Briget's photo and see what happens.
Thanks again.Hope we keep in touch

Chedburger