Author Topic: Iron Foundry?Ilminster  (Read 8055 times)

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Foundry?Ilminster
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 March 08 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathy

my only guess is that she knew someone on the photo. Perhaps an uncle, cousin, or even a sweetheart!

Judy
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline tup1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 March 08 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judy

I think you may be right the only thing is that my auntie was in her 80s when she died and her sisters died before her plus her brother my dad died 20 years ago so there is nobody we can ask so I suppose we will never find out which is a shame as it might have been helpfull in filling gaps in family history.

Cheers

Kathy

Offline SproutTheBard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 February 11 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone still researching this thread, or did anyone reach any conclusion? The reason I ask is my uncle recently passed away and in his effects was a couple of industrial photographs; one was inscribed "W Brooks & Son" we now know was a photographer and 19 Ilminster Gardens, Battersea, W11.

Again - why was this photo kept by my family? I know my grandfather was an engineer from his death certificate. Maybe photos of their works were given to employees as mementos of pride in their work? I don't know.

The photographs are not posed; people are getting on with their labours.  If I get time this weekend I will scan and post here.

Offline tup1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 February 11 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
First of all welcome to this great site if you need help just ask and I am sure someone will help.

The photo I put on this board can also be found in a book called "Ruston & Hornsby Grantham 1918-1963"now out of print and it tells the story of Ruston & Hornsbys factory and also has quite a few photos which were taken in 1925 by W Brooks & Co of the interior of the works so I can only assume that is when our relatives obtained their photos.There are one or two names mentioned on some of them but sadly not mine :( :(.Hope this information is helpful.
Did your Grandfather work or live in Grantham at anytime?.

Regards

Kathy

Offline SproutTheBard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 February 11 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathy - what a hidden jewel this website is - I have been working hard on my family tree for just over a year through website Ancestry and never came across this site until I started Googling for this photograph; which led me to the thread here. I will be visiting frequently.

When my Uncle Trevor Harrison died (02 Jan 2011) he left the family home is such a state it is currently on auction to builders only. However, his paperwork and photographs were very well organised in a tiny corner of the house. Sadly no names were written on the backs and I have a lot of detective work to do.  I am the last in my line and my relations said very little of their pasts. Fortunately my Grandmother and Gt Grandmother were still alive in my early years so I can identify enough faces to try and work out the rest.

My Great Grandfather Christian Lesley Frederick Harrison, son of Edith nee Pearson, was born in Grantham. There are still a few Harrisons living there and one in the old family cottage in Grantham.

Christian's death certificate stated Engineer and I believe he could have been working in Grantham as soon after coming to Leicester and married to my Grandmother, Nelly Deacon, he contracted MS and spent most of his remaining years in hospital; he died in his fifties.

Just when you think you have found everything you find an avenue which might be worth exploring.

Regards
Carl Duffin (adopted; born Fisher)

Offline tup1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 04 February 11 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carl,

Thanks for the information you have sent with your reply it was very interesting as my husbands Gt Grandad William Claar/Clare b.1849-1916 married Elizabeth DEACON b.1851-1875. and his Grandad Wiliam Claar/Clare b.1874-1924 married Ada Louisa PEARSON b.1874-1960 all lived Grantham.

Have you any dates of birth /marriages and deaths in the families you are trying to sort if so I might be able to help or someone else more expert than me.

It might be advisable to start a new topic on the Lincolnshire board (ie.Subject Re Christian Lesley Frederick Harrison as the title)
There were some Harrisons living in Gonerby-Hill Foot Grantham which ironically is where my Grandfather lived.

If you reply to this message I should be able to send you a PM(private message)I believe you have to have replied to 3 messages before I can send you a PM.

Regards

Kathy

PS.Please do not mention or ask for information for anyone who might still be alive as it is not allowed on this site but any others you are welcome to ask

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 04 February 11 15:49 GMT (UK) »
how wonderful! I hope you are related  :D

And just to say Carl, that there is an excellent photography dating and restoration board on Rootschat - I am sure the experts on there will be able to date your photos, and enjoy restoring any that are in need of it.

Judy  ;)
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline SproutTheBard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 04 February 11 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Kathy - I think we will find we have common links here as I am nearly 100% (will check tonight) the two Harrison ladies you mention are part of my tree; at least siblings of Gt Grandparents and Uncle/Aunts.

This is going to be interesting ...

Offline SproutTheBard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 04 February 11 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Judy - thanks for the info about photo restoration and dating. Would the members need the original photo sending to them in order to date it or will a description (board backing, PostCard etc.) and posting on here for the picture suffice?