Author Topic: Completed - Syme Family of Preston Pans Scotland  (Read 41214 times)

Offline mcleodsyme

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Syme Family of Preston Pans Scotland
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

The marriage bans for George Syme and Jane McLeod were from North Nelson Street, St. Marys Parish, Edinburgh records, married Aug. 27 1827.

I do know he was born at Northfield House, PrestonPans, East Lothian, Scotland and his father was James Syme and mother was Helen Knox.

Hope this is some help when you find some records.

Macleod/Syme

Offline mcleodsyme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I have the 17 page will of Commander George Syme and there is no mention of  any children named Isabella only the people I know about.

I did find something interesting for you when I looked through some of my files.

Commander George Syme's father James Syme died in 1819 and his estate continued till 1870 as a trust for his wife and children.  In a document about the estate dated May 25 1849 it says , bond by the late George Syme Esquire and an amount , this George Syme was not his son because he died in 1886, so maybe this George is the one you are looking for and is probably a brother of James Syme who was born around 1740-1750.

MacLeod/Syme

Offline ezekiel

• RootsChat Extra
  • 'Living in the Land Down Under '
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 17 November 07 03:24 GMT (UK) »
Not quite sure if this part of my tree fits in with yours but the mariner part may be the key.
My 3x great Grandfather was William SYME/SIME, a Ship's Captain of Dunbar.
He was born in Tranent, East Lothian in July 1869 to  William and Janet SYME/SIME nee BLAIR.
I do have a copy of my 3xgt Grandfather's will/testament which was proved in 1834 with his date of death being pronounced 'on or around first day of November 1829'.
He was married to Jane/Jean nee KEMP who, after being widowed, went on to marry a Robert WATTS.
Possibly nothing to do with you Prestonpans family but worth a stab.'
I have my family line down from William the Ship's Captain if it proves that we have a connection.
Julie in Adelaide Sth Oz where the sun is shining down fiercely!
GOURLAY; GRAY; HALLIDAY; WILKINSON; NORRIS; AIKEN/AITKEN; SIMPSON; MAHAREY; FIFE;SUMMERTON/SUMERTON/SOMERTON; MANSFIELD; FATHERS;HARDY/HARDEY; NICKS; WILLIAMS; THOMAS; LUDLOW; SYNNETT and others.

Offline redmond

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 29 June 08 06:35 BST (UK) »
We are also following the desxcendency of William Gunn and Isabel Syme.
One of thier children migrayted to Australia where there are many descendants

Offline mcleodsyme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 29 June 08 14:55 BST (UK) »
I have not found an Isabel in my line of the Syme family.  You might have better luck if you send a personal message to ezekiel, it  sounds like you might be connected.

Macleod/syme

Offline rubygee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Completed - Syme Family of Preston Pans Scotland
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 06:43 BST (UK) »
Hello,
i have William Gunn b1778 & Isabella Syme b1778 in my family tree. they are my G.G.G Grandparents on my mothers side.I have Williams father as John Gunn? and helen Gunn? Can anyone verify this?

Also I have Isabellas father as george Syme RN and her mother as Winifred Leger. These were sent to me by a ancestry member and I would like to find out if they are correct.

My G.G.grandfather Alexander who was the son of William & Isabella Gunn immigrated out here to Aus in 1853.
Rubygee

Offline mcleodsyme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Rubygee

In my search I found George Syme married Jean Swintoun in Old Kirk Parish, Edinburgh May 23 1714, their children are
John - 1715
Andrew- 1716
James 1719 my ancestor
Katherine- 1719
George Jr. 1722 could be your ancestor
Jean 1729
George Jr. married Isabelle Johnstone Jan. 18 1747 in Haddington East Lothian. I got this info from John Muir House
                                            Brewery Park
                                            Haddington
                                            EH41 3HA
George and Isabell had a son George born Mar. 3 1749 and also a son Alexander born 1751 in Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian Scotland.

This info. I got from Family Search IGI.   The names seem to fit with your family so I hope this will help with your search.

Mcleodsyme

Offline rubygee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 24 September 09 12:09 BST (UK) »

I have John Gunn b30.8.1759 married Helen Gunn on the 22.6.1777 at Latheron Caithness. Also John gunns father as Robert Gunn b abt 1730, who married Isabella Elder b 1730. Robert and isabella had 6 children -
Janet b4.7.1755 Houstry Latheron,J
John b 2.5.1757 Houstry,
another John b 1759 houstry,
Barbara b 19.6.1761 Houstry,
David b 5.7.1764 Houstry,
Elizabeth b 5.7.1764 Houstry.
I haven't any Georges in my research so I don't think they could be the same family. I did get this info off a Pauline who was researching the Gunn family and found she had the wrong thread. She sent me Williams war records as well.
Isabella Syme Died on the 6.11.1872 in Durness Sutherland.

Offline rubygee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi mcleodsyme,
I've just read your message again and found I had failed to look at the dates properly. God i have wasted so much time.!!!
 The george Jr 1722 may well be the george i'm looking for . Will research on IGI .
Thanks for the info, will let you now how it goes.
rubygee