Author Topic: IXER of Ipswich  (Read 8982 times)

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: IXER of Ipswich
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Connie and Shane
I think I may have unearthed two of Samuel and Susan's daughters who married into my family tree, Sarah and Charlotte, and would be interested to get feedback on this.

For a very long time I have struggled to prove whether 'my' William Manning was the one who married Sarah Ixer, but evidence I gathered seemed to point to William's Sarah being the sister of Jonathan Banham Miller, illegitimate son of Elizabeth Miller and Jonathan Banham. However, today a marriage announcement in the Bury and Norwich Post, dated 3 October 1832, revealed that Jonathan's wife, a Charlotte Hewitt, was in fact a widow when she married him and some backward digging revealed that she was actually Charlotte Ixer at the time of her marriage to a James Hewitt. At this point the penny dropped that Sarah was an Ixer after all, and that Jonathan would have been her brother-in-law, not her brother, as I'd originally thought. Both Sarah and Charlotte have their birth year given as circa 1800 in the census returns, but my thinking is that as their husbands were both born around this year, they may have shaved a few years off their respective birth years of 1791 and 1795.

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 19:18 BST (UK) »
Connie, this may be of particular interest to you:

From the "Ipswich Journal," dated 31 July 1813
"To be SOLD by AUCTION
by SPARROW and SON
On Tuesday the 3[r]d of August, 1813
At 6 o'clock in the Evening,
At the KING'S ARMS INN, Ipswich,
A substantial FREEHOLD COTTAGE, pleasantly situate on St. Margaret's Green, Ipswich; containing three lower rooms, 3 chambers, small yard, and convenient closets, in the occupation of Mr Samuel Ixer, tenant at will, who will show the premises."

This may be Samuel the maltster, who died in 1829. Not sure whose husband he was, but there's a connection to St. Margaret's, at any rate.

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 27 September 14 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Connie and Shane
I think I may have unearthed two of Samuel and Susan's daughters who married into my family tree, Sarah and Charlotte, and would be interested to get feedback on this.

For a very long time I have struggled to prove whether 'my' William Manning was the one who married Sarah Ixer, but evidence I gathered seemed to point to William's Sarah being the sister of Jonathan Banham Miller, illegitimate son of Elizabeth Miller and Jonathan Banham. However, today a marriage announcement in the Bury and Norwich Post, dated 3 October 1832, revealed that Jonathan's wife, a Charlotte Hewitt, was in fact a widow when she married him and some backward digging revealed that she was actually Charlotte Ixer at the time of her marriage to a James Hewitt. At this point the penny dropped that Sarah was an Ixer after all, and that Jonathan would have been her brother-in-law, not her brother, as I'd originally thought. Both Sarah and Charlotte have their birth year given as circa 1800 in the census returns, but my thinking is that as their husbands were both born around this year, they may have shaved a few years off their respective birth years of 1791 and 1795.

Thank you :) That's interesting.  I'll have a dig around and see what I can find.  It could get a bit complicated because I have HEWETTs who were some times given ad HEWITT, probably two unconnected families but stranger things have been known.

I'm going to be away for a while with intermittent net connection.

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 27 September 14 17:28 BST (UK) »
Connie, this may be of particular interest to you:

From the "Ipswich Journal," dated 31 July 1813
"To be SOLD by AUCTION by SPARROW and SON
On Tuesday the 3[r]d of August, 1813 At 6 o'clock in the Evening,
At the KING'S ARMS INN, Ipswich,
A substantial FREEHOLD COTTAGE, pleasantly situate on St. Margaret's Green, Ipswich; containing three lower rooms, 3 chambers, small yard, and convenient closets, in the occupation of Mr Samuel Ixer, tenant at will, who will show the premises."

This may be Samuel the maltster, who died in 1829. Not sure whose husband he was, but there's a connection to St. Margaret's, at any rate.

Thank you :)  That would have been a substantial cottage and well built too.  There is a good chance he is my man.  I'll have dig around.

And, yes, it is amusing the auctioneer was SPARROW & Son :)  SPARROW isn't my birth name though :)

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 28 September 14 10:39 BST (UK) »
It's entirely possible your Hewitts/Hewetts are connected through marriage somewhere along the line. I've been helping a friend (born and bred in North Devon) to research her family for some while and we recently discovered that an elderly neighbour, whose children she'd been to school with, was actually related to her through her paternal great-grandmother's brother who'd married a widow with one son. In rural areas it is so much easier to find the connections!

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 29 September 14 16:24 BST (UK) »
It's entirely possible your Hewitts/Hewetts are connected through marriage somewhere along the line. I've been helping a friend (born and bred in North Devon) to research her family for some while and we recently discovered that an elderly neighbour, whose children she'd been to school with, was actually related to her through her paternal great-grandmother's brother who'd married a widow with one son. In rural areas it is so much easier to find the connections!

With the way many families moved around, it is possible.  If they are connected, it'll be the first time.  I'm not including all the intermarrying of the SALMON/S  :D