Author Topic: Drogheda query  (Read 8218 times)

Drogheda query
« on: Tuesday 18 March 08 15:46 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for an area/road called The Dale in Drogheda C1889. On Google map I found a road in the south west of Drogheda with the name, but it looks like it is a fairly modern road in a housing estate. Does anyone know of any other road/area?
Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Drogheda query
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 05:56 GMT (UK) »
Not sure about in 1889 but probably the same place. This was in 1649 when Cromwell attacked.

"The geography of Drogheda was crucial to the siege. The town was totally contained within a formidable wall one and a half miles long, 20 feet high, and 6 feet wide at the base, narrowing to 2 feet on top. The main town lay north of the River Boyne. To the south, still within the impressive fortifications, was an additional urban area situated on a hill that had to be tackled first by any army coming from the south. In the extreme southeast corner, virtually embedded in the city wall, stood St. Mary's Church. From its lofty steeple the defenders not only had a fine view of the city but were in a good position to fire upon attackers.

Flanking the church on the town side was a steep ravine called the Dale, then the heavily guarded Duleek Gate, the entrance to this southern outpost, and behind that an imposing artificial mound called the Mill Mount.
http://www.historynet.com/wars_conflicts/17_18_century/3026656.html?featured=y&c=y

And

"When Drogheda's town walls were built in the 13th century, they encompassed the Carmelite monastery within them. It was at the south east corner of the churchyard that Oliver Cromwell, based on the opposite side of the declavity known as The Dale, breached the wall with cannon fire and enabled his troops to enter Drogheda in September 1649. Part of the wall still stands at the rear of the churchyard."
http://irishhistorian.com/Drogheda/StMarysChurch.html

I would imagine that you can find a map somewhere of the battle area and find the exact location.

Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello 7903,

An e-mail to Louth County Council might produce an answer to your query. If necessary they can pass the message on to the relevant Library. www.louthcoco.ie/index.aspx?deptid=15&dpageid=0_LA

Christopher

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Years ago in the countryside of Ireland there were no road names- the townland name was a person's address. Not sure about County Louth but road names only started being used in 1970s in Northern Ireland (and Fermanagh kept the townland names instead). It's quite possible that the modern road name was chosen from an old local name.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Years ago in the countryside of Ireland there were no road names- the townland name was a person's address. Not sure about County Louth but road names only started being used in 1970s in Northern Ireland (and Fermanagh kept the townland names instead). It's quite possible that the modern road name was chosen from an old local name.

Hi aghadowey,

I must have lived in a different Northern Ireland as I recall road names from the mid 1950s when I was learning to drive. When I went to visit friends who lived in townlands a few years later I noticed road names. The same applied in Co. Dublin ... I went to school there in the fifties and there were road names there too.

Christopher 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Must have been a different part of Northern Ireland (and I did mention I wasn't sure when road names started being used in Co. Louth).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline TCDrog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 October 13 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

The Dale is located off Mary street in Drogheda -  Are you looking for specific information regarding The Dale - about 50 families lived in the Dale in the early 1900's.

Kind Regards

TC - Drogheda