Author Topic: 1929 Alfred Norman King death - newspaper report?  (Read 3530 times)

Offline johking

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1929 Alfred Norman King death - newspaper report?
« on: Sunday 17 February 13 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I am puzzled that an ancestor is buried at Port St Mary despite living in the Scottish Borders and having no links (that I know of) wih the Isle of Man. The only thing I can think is that he died while on holiday and I am hoping there might be a newspaper report if this was the case. His name is Alfred Norman King, died 15th August 1929, age 82.

I would be very grateful for any pointers at all.

Thanks

Jo

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1929 Alfred Norman King death - newspaper report?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 February 13 15:26 GMT (UK) »
try www.imuseum.im - you can search to see if an entry free (suspect you might need be careful with search tools but name + year might work) - possibly library@mnh.gov.im might help you
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 February 13 16:54 GMT (UK) »
From     Rushen   Parish   Graveyard  [nearest  to    Port   St.   Mary]   burial  records ----

Alfred Norman King /  Residence  /  Port St Mary   died  15th Aug. 1929 age 82.    Memorial Record

Reference plot  1120=1899 yard. "ALFRED NORMAN KING died 15th  Aug. 1929 aged 82 years"

[Not seen stone ] If you do go online to i.museum 24hr access is £7.00 for one day local papers

IOM  ExamIner & IOM Times . Do you have  death cert.????

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 February 13 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Jo    as you probably got your info. from  BMD  online   ---Vol.   C    page  463    would  it not be

better  value to spend  £7.00  on obtaining a  copy   than money  on newspaper  search ??

Offline johking

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 February 13 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much to both of you for replying. I tried searching the www.imuseum.im index, Frances, but no joy. Thanks very much for the tip.

Voirrey M - I actually got the info from a photo we have of the grave, but I had no idea where it was until I found a death notice in The Scotsman archive which mentioned Port St Mary. It would be nice to have the death certificate (thanks for the Vol info), but I don't think it will tell me why he is buried there. I still think a holiday is the most likely and I suppose it might have been too expensive to try to get his body back from the Isle of Man to the Scottish Borders... I might try that 24 hr access but perhaps it would not be the sort of thing that would be reported.

Help very much appreciated

Jo

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 March 13 21:57 GMT (UK) »
brief report in IoM Examiner - clerk, Peebleshire d Water Edge, Port St Mary where staying on holiday (came up immediately on newspaper search)
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline johking

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 March 13 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Frances, you are a star. Another little mystery solved... I am going to be able to access some Peeblesshire newspapers in a week or so so will see if they have anything more in there.

Thank you so much.

Jo