Author Topic: McDermott( Lackagh) Co Sligo  (Read 17540 times)

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McDermott( Lackagh) Co Sligo
« Reply #9 on: Monday 31 August 09 20:42 BST (UK) »
I note the townland of Lackagh abuts the townland of Doorly which are both in the civil parish of Kilmorgan. That would make the John McDermott in GV (1858) at Doorly a very likely candidate.

J.T.A.

Offline clandestine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 14:37 BST (UK) »
The Marriage certificate (Civil)  merely says that the father of John McDermott was also John McDermott a farmer . There is no mention of whether he was alive or dead. I did look for the Church record in Ransboro RC Church ,but these records were lost
I did not look for a death record.  Thank you for reminding me . Sometimes the obvious can be overlooked.
I do have another possible? clue.> A relative in St Louis sent me a marriage record of his  great grandfather  Michael,whom we think may have been the brother of  my greatgrandfather John. The name of the mother eludes us . I have searched for all combinations of her name and have come up with zero when crossreferenced with a McDermott . There is an error in this record. The groom was Michael and NOT Martin .The record is correct because the date is correct and the parents of the bride Mary Jane Condon are correct.
McDermott: Scanlon: Giblin: McManus: Langan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 14:45 BST (UK) »
Mother Bridget Ca____ey. If John McDermott and Bridget ? maried before the start if civil registration it's possible that a record (from the church) no longer exists.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 14:57 BST (UK) »
Usually if a marriage register does not state that the father is deceased it would mean he was still alive but it is not necessarily the case. Not sure what you mean by "the name of the mother eludes us" is that not Bridget Cairny (possibly Carney). I don't see the year for that marriage.

J.T.A.

Offline clandestine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 15:29 BST (UK) »
The marriage record is  from a church in St Louis USA(1873) .It is the marriage record of  Michael (Martin) McDermott  and Mary Jane Condon
 This  US records gave  the names of both parents. Michael ( Martin) emigrated in 1864 to the USA and settled in St Louis where he married in 1873.Unfortunately the death certificate of Michael in the USA does not give details of his parents.

I have searched all Ireland records and  but I have not cross referenced a Bridget Cairney(Carney,\ Kearney) to any McDermott.
Cairney is a Scottish name . I have also searched  on Scotlands People website
The marriage  of Bridget Ca? and Jno McDermott  would have taken place circa 1840  give or take a few years.
McDermott: Scanlon: Giblin: McManus: Langan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 17:53 BST (UK) »
If the marriage of John and Bridget McDermott took place c1840 then you are dependant upon church record of the marriage (which may not survive) so I'm not sure what you mean by "I have searched all Ireland records and  but I have not cross referenced a Bridget Cairney(Carney,\ Kearney) to any McDermott."
Carney/Kearney, etc. found all over Ireland and it could be that what looks like 'Cairney' in the U.S. marriage record is a variation of Carney.
Most U.S. state death records ask for details of birthplace and date, parents' names, etc. Is it that the information is not on Michael McDermott's death certificate (perhaps the informant didn't know) or that the details were not on the form?

Offline tmcd1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 03:02 BST (UK) »
I am the great grandson of Michael mentioned above.  Michael's death certificate (1910) was in the first year they were required in Missouri.  His listed his birthplace as Ireland.  His father & mother's name and birthplace were listed unknown.  Informant is listed as Coroner's Office.  An obituary in a local paper did not provide further information.  Year of birth on tombstone is 1848.

Offline Shawn L.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 17:32 GMT (UK) »
I'm new to this. :)  I'm looking for McDermott ancestors.  My gggrandfather Andrew McDermott came to North America in 1860 and died in 1875.  When he died at age 37, there was an inquest which told us 'he was an Irishman from the North".  From what I've read, Sligo is a likely place for there to be McDermotts.  I have a baptism in Co Sligo, 10 Feb 1839, with a John McDermott as father and Bridget McDonnell.  They were catholics.  At one point, Andrew lived with my ggrandmother Susannah McCormick in Rochester, NY.  Then they moved to Ontario Canada and he worked on the railroad.  Does this fit with anyone?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat but is there any indication at all that your McDermotts did come from somewhere in Co. Sligo? I would have thought 'the North' would be more likely to indicate somewhere in Ulster.