Author Topic: MOTT/MOTTE/MOTTS, All  (Read 106277 times)

Offline mottman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MOTT/MOTTE/MOTTS, All
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 20:15 BST (UK) »
Well Hi Doug!
Nice to hear from you again.
The nearest I have for a James Mott marrying a Charlotte is from the 1992 IGI. James Mott married Charlotte Fairman 10th September 1843, but in London, not Essex (although he obviously could have come from there). The marriage took place in St. Lawrence Jewry, London.
There does not appear to be a marriage in the GRO for this couple, not in the September or December qtrs? Nearest is December 1844, one year later, in Marylebone (maybe the IGI got the year wrong!)
Fred
Mott; Mote; Motts; Moat; Moate; Moats etc.

Offline jackie walker

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Sunday 05 June 05 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred - Hope you are well -

Back to my Mott family again I have now baptisms for William Mott it has parents as Joseph and Mary Mott of Manchester, baptisms was 15th November 1818, do you have any info on a Joseph Motts birth please.

Regards

Jackie

Offline mottman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Monday 06 June 05 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie,
Yes thankyou, I have improved a lot since the events of January. Almost back to normal - well, that's my opinion anyway!
I have that William on file, baptised as you said 15.11.1818, son of Joseph & Mary.
Unfortunately I do not have any info on father Joseph, other than an estimated birth year of 1795 (baptism year minus about 22 years - see how my so-called logic works!). No other info has come to light on him.
What I do have is a William, born circa 1815, who wed a Mary and was father to James(1839);John(1841);Joseph(1843);Margaret(1845);Mary(1848). Seems possible that he could be that William 1818??
Fred

Offline jackie walker

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Monday 06 June 05 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred

Yes they are mine have William age 25 Shoemaker living in Stockport with Mary age 25 and James age 2 on the 1841 census.

Found an old neighbour who turned out to be grandaughter of one of my Mott's and she asked if I had heard that the family were originally called LaMotte or LeMotte and were French? gypsies, which along with the fact the one had gone to New York was one of the tales told to us by my grandmother who was born Edith Mott.

Glad to hear to are feeling ok now

Regards

Jackie

Offline mottman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Monday 06 June 05 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
That was quick - was u waiting 4 a reply?
That story about them being descendants of la Mott(e), etc., is an old tale that I have heard over and over again since I started back in 1980 !! Most of it seems to be wishful thinking! No doubt some do have that line, but hard to prove.
Fred

Offline jackie walker

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Monday 06 June 05 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred

Thanks, thought that myself  a story my gran told my brothers and I when we were children, so will have to find my Joseph and Mary's marriage next and go from there.

regards

Jackie

Offline rozee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Sunday 19 June 05 05:58 BST (UK) »
Dear All
I have a William H Mott (baker) married to a Mary E with children, William J, Emily J, Charles J H and Jessie M. William John Mott (baker/chef) married my Elizabeth White (her father was a baker) in 1894 in Fulham - they had the following children but could have had more:-
     Elizabeth Mott b 1895 (abt) married Reginald P Saunders in 1921
     Mary E E Mott b 1896 (abt) married James S Batt in 1921
     Amelia Mott b 1898 (abt)

Does anyone else have any of these Motts in their tree?

White, Wright, Lewis, Mikkelsen, Cook, Smith, Chamberlain, Snewin, Gillies, Bushby, Fruen, Cox, Trenchard

Offline mottman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Friday 24 June 05 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, Rozee,
Before I answer your query on the MOTT names, could you please tell me your connection with these people. I assume you have these in your family tree?, but could you tell me if you have further MOTT info nearer the present day. I do not want to duplicate any info you may already have. I have quite a long list of details on them and I don't want to clog the system unneccessarily - (plus the fact that you may have something new for me!)
Tradelin

Offline rozee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Saturday 25 June 05 07:46 BST (UK) »
Dear Tradelin
The info that I gave you in the post was about all I have - my grandmother's sister, Elizabeth, married  William John Mott.  My grandmother was Rose White - she married a Cyril Lewis.  They emigrated to Australia and we have had no contact with any of the family, except I once met a distant cousin called Robina (we think she was the child of Elizabeth Mott and Reginald Saunders.  My grandmother wrote to her niece Elizabeth (Emmie Saunders).  We have been looking and I found the Motts through the indexes and census information and from some notes left by my grandmother, they seem to be the right ones.  My g greatfather, George White was a baker as was his father and father-in-law.  Are you connected in any way to this Mott family. I am currently away in Queensland and cannot put my hands on all my files so the above facts are just from memory.  Would appreciate any information that you can give me.

~~~~~~~~

White, Wright, Lewis, Mikkelsen, Cook, Smith, Chamberlain, Snewin, Gillies, Bushby, Fruen, Cox, Trenchard