Author Topic: Newspaper articles on birth of Maj Robert B Robertson's child in 1896  (Read 3757 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newspaper articles on birth of Maj Robert B Robertson's child in 1896
« on: Sunday 21 September 14 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hoping for some assistance in locating a newspaper article notifying the birth of a son to Maj Robert Bowen Robertson and his wife Amy Blanch Caroline Robertson at Cheltenham.  The son's birth was registered in the 3rd quarter of 1896.

Regards

Westy11

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper articles on birth of Maj Robert B Robertson's child in 1896
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 September 14 16:58 BST (UK) »
Had a look in The British Newspaper Archives but couldn't find any birth notice. 

I did note however a discharge from bankruptcy for him in the Cheltenham Chronicle on Saturday 10 September 1910, the original order having been made in Cheltenham Court on 3 March 1899 - he had paid off all his debts including interest at 4% per annum.  He was formerly a Major in the Glamorganshire Artillery and was living at The Holt, Berkeley Street, Cheltenham at the time of the order and was living at Fairlawn, Chandler's Ford at the time of the discharge hearing. He was stated to have also lived at Bournemouth and Swansea so moved about a bit.

Might be worth a more detailed look in these archives for the other areas, I haven't got any more credits to look further.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 September 14 22:24 BST (UK) »
Artifis

That was really nice of you to use your credits on researching for me.  Much appreciated.

It is great to see that Robert was able to repay his debitors and with interest.  Will follow these leads.

Westy11

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 10:04 BST (UK) »
I paid for the 'pay as you go' which is £19.95 for 40 pages valid for 365 days as I wanted to check up on several sides of my ancestry and happened to have a couple of pages of credit left - I suspect I was about to loose them anyway so no problem.   ;)

Personally I do find the search engine a bit tricky to use and seem always to get thousands of hits and have problems trying to narrow the results but I'm not too good with the way some search engines work.  Researching some of my ancestors who lived in small villages and hamlets I was able to find some interesting information that gave a bit of a picture of what the places were like in times gone by so the £19.95 outlay was a good investment for me - approx. 50p per page.  I also enlarged the page so that the section I wanted filled the viewing window then screen grabbed that to print off for my personal records - the page print otherwise seemed to be the whole newspaper page which from broadsheet to A4 makes it extremely hard to read.

Good hunting.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hello artifis

Based on your success I took a month's subscription out: like you I find it difficult to navigate and wonder why the find strategy couldn't also focus on eliminating rather than including.  For example with a name like Robertson you get heaps of Scottish hits.  However you know you won't find what you need in the Scottish newspapers but there is no way of eliminating them from the search.

Still all resources are welcomed when you are attempting to research from the other side of the world from where the events occurred.

Westy11

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 10:36 BST (UK) »
Is this Plantagenet Roll entry any help ?  http://tinyurl.com/kewxrdg
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 12:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks ShaunJ

Fascinating that the females births are not recorded....  A sign of the times perhaps?

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 13:25 BST (UK) »
This looks like the birth?

September qtr 1896
Cheltenham district     vol 6a, page 415

Robertson, Tudor Peregrine M

Trees on Ancestry have his 3rd name as Morris!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hello again Kay99  :)

His name was Musgrave not Morris even though his maternal grandfather was Sir John Armine Morris, 3rd Baronet of Sketty Park - the Morris were related to Sir Philip Musgrave.  However Tudor's name originates from his paternal line [as far as I am aware] originating from the Welsh Musgrave's [even though Musgrave is an English name].

Nonetheless you are correct in that was his birth...  Thanks so much

Westy11