Author Topic: Mary Ann Lewis - Stroud area 1851 ?  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Heathcote's Tiverton Mill 1836
    • View Profile
Mary Ann Lewis - Stroud area 1851 ?
« on: Tuesday 28 October 14 00:35 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for my great great grandmother in the 1851 and 1861 census records. Mary A Lewis married in Stroud in 1870 and I can find her in the census from 1871 onwards but I am struggling in the 1861 and 1851. In her marriage certificate it says her father is William Lewis and that she is a "Spinster" of "Full Age". Her birth year is most likely late 1847 into 1848. There is some confusion about her place of birth and from 1871 onwards it is given as "Kidderminster" but a family tradition also states she came from Ireland. There might be a legitimate reason for some confusion over her origins as it is possible that her father was a Waterman or Canal Boat Skipper although his occupation is given as "Weaver" on her marriage certificate. It might be that there was some issue with respectability.
Any help with Mary would be greatly appreciated - Thank you - Mark
Warner, Owen, Putt, Mynett, Wickwar, Norman, Wheeler, Gray, Cooke, Dewick, Holmes, Lawson, Granger, Queenan, Weston, Wesson, Brewin, Cartwright, Heathcote, Heathcoat, Felkin, Morley, Hallam, Wootton, Adkin, Shepshed, Loughborough, Leicester, Philadelphia, Ontario, Nottingham,

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Lewis - Stroud area 1851 ?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi age out a bit, but one for research possibly in 1851?

William Lewis 30 occ Hand Loom Carpet Weaver
Mary 22
Maria 6
All born Kidderminster
Residing at Clensmore Lane,Kidderminster
Census Ref HO107/2038/23/38

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keyboard86,

Thank you for this. I think there might be two families of two different William Lewis' in Kidderminster but I do not think I have seen this one before so it could be a third one.  I am interested to know more about the Stroud family group as well.

Best regards - Mark
Warner, Owen, Putt, Mynett, Wickwar, Norman, Wheeler, Gray, Cooke, Dewick, Holmes, Lawson, Granger, Queenan, Weston, Wesson, Brewin, Cartwright, Heathcote, Heathcoat, Felkin, Morley, Hallam, Wootton, Adkin, Shepshed, Loughborough, Leicester, Philadelphia, Ontario, Nottingham,

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keyboard86,

Thank you for this. I think there might be two families of two different William Lewis' in Kidderminster but I do not think I have seen this one before so it could be a third one.  I am interested to know more about the Stroud family group as well.

Best regards - Mark

Hi Mark, just thoughts, why put Weaver if he was a Waterman, why the Stroud connection when later returns Kidderminster, Kidderminster was full of Weavers?!

Keybiard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Framesmiths1816

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Well its a hunch really. The family doesn't appear to be from Kidderminster even though she gives her birth places as such. They seem to be from around Leonards Stanley, Kings Stanley Caincross Ebley Cashes Green area of west Stroud. There is a William Lewis in that area who is a Waterman / Boat Skipper and also another who is a Weaver although they might even be the same family, not sure. Given that that seem to be hard to pin down they could be moving around a lot. The Stroudwater canal is within spitting distance of these places and it links to the Gloucster and Sharpness Canal with joins the Severn at Gloucester and goes through to Kidderminster. Family might also have spent time at Portsea as well. It's a bit of a puzzled really and I do not have a high level of confidence that any of the information I have is correct.