Author Topic: St. Josephs Cemetery,The Rock, Ballyshannon.  (Read 43150 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St. Josephs Cemetery,The Rock, Ballyshannon.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 13:30 BST (UK) »
did you look on the genealogy page I mention Griffith's Valuation 1858-1864
Edward McGuinness 9 West Port, John McGuinness 19 Castle Street, Willian Ginn 25 Chapel Lane, Daniel McGinney 41 College Street.

Not sure which Griffith's site is referred to here but here's a link to one:
http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_family_search_form.php

Griffith Valuation was compiled over a number of years. The year is given in details. In the case of William Ginn of Chapel Lane the year is 1858.

The Griffith's references are not for house numbers- if you look at the original page the column is headed no. + letters of reference to map. not house number. Therefore, using the above example, William Ginn & Rose McIntire lived at Chapel Lane in the number numbered 25 on the map.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 14 June 09 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Assaroe Abbey Cemetery Under the Sheil Vault - James McGowan died 3.9.1929 aged 87.  Other McGowan are buried in this Cemetery

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 15 June 09 22:39 BST (UK) »
Gosh Rathmore, Thats a great find altogether.  Did itgive any address for James McGowan?  I know that my great grandfather JamesMcGowan's father was called William Mc Gowan, but this James McGowan could be a relative?
Maybe he was Williaams Father or brother?

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, Rathmore was a Townland Bundoran near Ballyshannon my Gran Maggie Maddie family were flax seed growers for the linen industry.  The Madden's and McGloin listed under Rathmore will be my relatives, most of the Flax Seed growers Townlands were made up of family members, I will have to look at other paper work I have at home to see if McGowan are mention.  You could go through www.google.com and type in the box The Spinning Wheel Premium entitlements List for County Donegal   With the Flax Seed Growers came a book called Index To Tithe Applotment Book some of this will be mention under GRIFFTINS VALUATION

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I putting some of this information on this site maybe it might be of use to others reading it have you been in touch with Ballyshannon Council they might be able to tell you who live in the house at West Port.  If you were a Catholic they did not start saving some of the records till later on.  Carrickboy, and Higginstown Flax Seed Growers is were my mums family lived, McGowan on Higginstown, Carrickboy, Falcarragh in 1939/40, Falcarragh I think that were my late Uncle Eddie lived.

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 21:35 BST (UK) »
No I mafraid I have not but I will give them a ring.  Thank you for putting up so much information, it is really helpful. 

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 10:28 BST (UK) »
The Census of Ireland for Ballyshannon or any part of Ireland is a good source of Information Form A,  will have the name of person/s, relation to Head of Family, Religious Profession, Education, Age, Sex, Proffession or Occupation, Marriage, Where Born, Irish Language, If Deaf etc.
I think Form B - may be more to do with the Townland but on the form House and Building Returns. deals with how many families lived in the Houses.
In 2007 came across by chance from ICI Individual Records, The Church of Jesus Christ of latter -day Saints.
Edward McGuiney born 6.7.1864 Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland.  Father William McGuiney, Mother Mary Cammel
Source Information Batch No. C701233 Souce Call No. 0101091 .  I do now if these people are my relatives.
It might help other people looking for relatives.

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 21:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that one Rathmore.  I have been looking up the 1911 census for Donegal since it came online. I saw the household forms for james & Bridget McGowan. Westport and the children listed were Maggie, aged 4, Lizzie (my granny) aged6 and baby John who was only 3 weeks old. But that is about asmuch I know. Although I told you about the information that I got from Donegal Ancestry. Well Maggie & 2 boys named John Died in childhood.  So I,m afraid thats all the information I can get. Afraid its like hitting a brick wall.

But the IGI listing for the McGuineys looks interesting.  I must look it up.   Thanks again.

Summerhill

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 21:32 BST (UK) »
Would any one have any information on Brother Eunan McGuinness who I believe was related to my great grandmother
Brigid Mc Gowan (nee McGuinness)?

Any help greatly appreciated once again.