Author Topic: John Morland (McMorland?) Married Jane McCredie Help Please  (Read 10602 times)

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Morland (McMorland?) Married Jane McCredie Help Please
« on: Saturday 18 August 12 04:30 BST (UK) »
Hi all, Looking for any help here please.
John Morland Born about 1788 ( A Sawyer) married to Jane McCredie Born abt 1790, had 4 listed children that I have noted as Thomas, Mary, William, Jane. (From 1841 census)

1841 census have them living in Raphod Tall, Parish of Inch.

I have recently picked up what could be a clue to John Morland (McMorland?) parents, names of Thomas Morland (father) and a Mary ? (Mother)
I also picked up another possible child to John Morland and Jane McCredie being a James which from the clue describes James as first born, Given Thomas Morland was born about 1816 (Census calculation), my thoughts are James Morland would have been born just before 1816 and he is not in the house in 1841 being approx in his mid 20`s then he has fled the nest.

I would dearly love to identify John Morlands parents for a fact (There dates of births would be approx 1755/60 and confirm that James a possible first born was indeed linked to this family..

I would be so grateful for any help from our experienced researchers out there on this family..

I have much information myself to share on this Morland family from the John Morland / Jane McCredie time to present day

Fingers crossed... :)

Regards
Scott Morland
NZ

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Morland (McMorland?) Married Jane McCredie Help Please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 October 12 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi all, Well I seem to be stuck .. I just came across another John Morland Born 1788 in Stranraer. Struggling to find info on him.
I have 2 families now by the looks of things in Stranraer area with another John Morland(McMorland) B 1788
First Family and who I was thinking was my family
James McMorland Father (unknown details)
Children - John Morland 1788, James 1791, Agnes 1793, William 1995 / Unknown mother but all born listed in Leswalt

Second Family
John Morland Born 1736 Married to Margaret Kerr Born 1743 (Marriage listed as 1770)
The above mentioned John and Margaret had listed 9 children - What has created a bit of a confusing dilema at present is that there appears to be a John Morland Born 1788 Stranraer in amongst all the other 8 children mentioned to this family(Check link below), What also has me scratching my head in amonst the family of 9 is that given the age of Margaret Kerr when she has had some of the children has me wondering if what is listed is accurate.
Margaret had 9 children from years 1772 to 1803 meaning that Margaret was 31 years old for her first child and 60 years old for the 9th child. Of course not impossible but what would the chances be of this happening?
Actually this second family has links to a Charles Morland who appears to have been a Provost of Stranraer in the 1800`s..
Link for this second family as follows;
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/MWQM-49N

I need to find a death register of John Morland that may list his spouse and his father or Mother.. I have a death listed as 1867 for a John Morland Listed as a Sawyer (His job)

What I do know is that I do have a John Morland (McMorland) as my 4 x Grt Grandfather married to Jane McCredie.. What I am desperate to find out is from the above 2 John Morlands listed, What one is mine  ???

Help please

Scott Morland
Auckland
NZ

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 October 12 23:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Scott
I followed the link you gave to the second Morland family on familysearch.org and the first thing I noticed was that it was a submitted Ancestral file entry.

At the bottom of the page read their disclaimer. Don't trust anything you haven't checked
 for your self :)

Ancestral File is a collection of genealogical information taken from pedigree charts and or family group records submitted to the family history department since 1978. The information has not been verified against official records. Since the information in ancestral file is submitted by contributers, it is up to the users of the info to check out its validity.

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 October 12 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Crisane, Thanks.. Definately worth acknowledging!

I am thinking that my Morlands may have been setting records back then for having kids at 60?   :o

If I can track down a death record I am hopeful for some more info.. Will have another play on SP and see what else may turn up..
I do have a register of John Morland Baptism 1788 father James Morland (McMorland)

Thanks Crisane

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 October 12 00:04 BST (UK) »
Thomas's baptism  Note the surname

Thomas Mcmorland
baptism at Inch Wigtown Scotland
born 21 May 1813 at Inch
father John Mcmorland   
mother Jane Mccredie
batch number - C11886-4

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 October 12 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Crisane, Yes my Morlands were noted in some records as McMorlands but that seemed to disappear moving into the 1800`s
Many Morlands were noted as Mc... Very few Morlands arouind now with the Mc before
Thanks

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 October 12 00:10 BST (UK) »
1841 census. The second child is Margaret not Mary according to the transcription. I don't have access to the original image. Something to check out.
John Morland 53
Jane Morland 50
Thomas Morland 25
Margt Morland 15
Jane Morland 13

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 October 12 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Crisane, That Thomas McMorland is the brother of my 3x Grt Grandfather - A William Morland born 1827.
There was another brother born in 1812 - James McMorland who we believe was illigitimate to John McMorland and Jane Cumming.. Thinking that Jane McCredie and John McMorland took on ownership of James McMorland.. Still to prove but a decent thought on what I have picked up...

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 October 12 00:15 BST (UK) »
1841 census. The second child is Margaret not Mary according to the transcription. I don't have access to the original image. Something to check out.
John Morland 53
Jane Morland 50
Thomas Morland 25
Margt Morland 15
Jane Morland 13

Raphod Toll I think that is.. Thanks - The William Morland child is missing would have been abt 14 from this family and we have a thought that James born 1812 has fled the nest by this time.. I think we had considered that Margt was Mary from memory, would need to check what I have written down again.
Thanks Crisane