Author Topic: Subscription...Ancestry or Find my Past???  (Read 18771 times)

Offline mustfindthem

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Subscription...Ancestry or Find my Past???
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 May 10 23:17 BST (UK) »
I've got a subscription to ancestry and a sub. to FindMyPast for the 1911 census. I got a 20% discount earlier in the year. It was the best (I think it was about £60) I've spent. I've managed to clear up so many loose ends by being able to look at the 1911 census.

I started by buying credits for FindMyPast but (someone might say I was doing something wrong) I found that when I was searching for BMDs it seemed to bring up a page with a load of indexes on which I had to search through - whereas ancestry takes you straight to the record. I hope that makes sense.

I've got a few odd credits on FindMyPast and occasionally I find a census entry on there that I just cannot find on ancestry.
CAUSBROOK (and variations of the spelling eg CAUSEBROOK)
FURZE (originally from the Plymouth area) or variations of the spelling
BLYTHE/BLYTH/BLITHE/BLITH Scotland
McVEY (Ireland) or variations of the spelling
WATKINS (Northampton)
PENTELOW (Northampton)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 May 10 23:34 BST (UK) »
Been with both for a while, use pay per go on 1911 cheap enough for census rtns.  30 credits soon gone though.

BUT today I updated to top ancestry sub / due to needing to research more overseas...
This meant a great saving and they accepted debit card. 
So what I used to pay p.m. for not full access... totals the same amount I paid in one lump for full access... and then the money wont be taken off my card each month, so again saving on the interest that would incur...

Immediately the service for full subs ... is so much more detailed...
I am sure when I looked at the 1871 census before, they only gave me the choice of the one without scribbles and alterations on ... today I managed to pick up the corrected tidy one and the scribbled on version, and that cleared up an error in my tree... the servant isnt a servant but a grandaughter.  Uhm.

I did get angry though, cos previously I had typed in a name and it let me see that they had info on it if I upgraded... so when I upgrade... ..... :-X  the info is not at all what i was searching.. the name was split onto three different lines... so showed 3 different people... ah well - still happy with it.

Xin

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 May 10 12:48 BST (UK) »
I subscribe to Ancestry, FindMyPast, and The Genealogist.   If I could only afford one, I would choose Ancestry.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scriv2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 17:51 BST (UK) »
I can only afford one and subscribe to Ancestry.
Names :Scriven, Parlour, Vaughan, Pember,Price, Thompson, Rennie/Roney, Hannon,Taylor,Pitt,Brice

Places: Alveley, Bewdley, Rock, Dukinfield, Manchester,Limerick, Bishopstone/Dilwyn, Swarraton,Alverstoke, Middlesex

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 18:12 BST (UK) »
I may not search properly, but sometimes on Ancestry  I get angry when it gives me 20,000 names and fred is above alan and dates are not in order

I am a little slow nowadays... ::)
but if I put in Marie ann Fogley 1820 Yorkshire..  why do I get  Mary ann Fogley 1845 cornwall ...

I can search for ages.. the only time i get numerical order is if I just enter the name and area......

xin

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 20:50 BST (UK) »
I am subscribed to Ancestry and FindMyPast but I would much prefer Ancestry if I could only have one subscription.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 02:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Jo,
you can test the waters with findmypast before deciding.

Findmypast has currently got a 14 day free trial. I signed up for the trial 3 days ago. You need to give them your credit card details for the trial, at the end of the trial they will automatically bill you for a subscription - so you need to cancel the free trial just before the 14 days are up if you don't want to subscribe to them .

I'm glad I took out the free trial with them as I had been thinking of taking out a sub with them   - I'll be cancelling my trial  as I personally found that they do not have anything on their site  that I  need or haven't  already got or found over the years

I've been a subscriber of ancestry for years .I  much prefer ancestry to findmypast.
Kind regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Ron Lankshear

• RootsChat Senior
  • Ron in the Bush near his Sydney home
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 03:31 BST (UK) »
I may not search properly, but sometimes on Ancestry  I get angry when it gives me 20,000 names and fred is above alan and dates are not in order

I am a little slow nowadays... ::)
but if I put in Marie ann Fogley 1820 Yorkshire..  why do I get  Mary ann Fogley 1845 cornwall ...

I can search for ages.. the only time i get numerical order is if I just enter the name and area......

xin

Try ticking the exact box - without exact you get records that their program thinks make sense

Also it maybe New Search tick Old Search - top right under banner

They also have new options announced on their blog to allow in new Search picking variations of first names etc etc - hopefully this would pick Wm and Will and William and Willie and so on
Ron was born in Shepherds Bush and "knew" London fairly well
LANKSHEAR EAGLE SKEGGS RUSSELL HAYBALL HALE ROBBINS KING PAXFORD PAIGE
family history with many research links for everyone at
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~lankshear/

Offline juliedowns

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 05:29 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have had an annual sub with Ancestry for 3 years, and last month I took out a 6 month sub with FindMyPast mainly for the 1911 census.

I would recommend Ancestry, there images are better, what's with the blue at FindMyPast.
Searching at FindMyPast is frustrating as you have to enter a surname, even when I tick variant.
At least with Ancestry you don't need to include a surname especially when the spelling of a surname is way out.
Lastly pricing, even when you take out the 1911 census Ancestry has more than FindMyPast and is much cheaper, that's why I only took out a 6 month sub.

thankyou
julie