Author Topic: Nathaniel Hocking  (Read 8088 times)

Offline kazzipops

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nathaniel Hocking
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 03 September 11 21:46 BST (UK) »
There's also an extracted marriage for John and Kitty, but I don't want to spoil the fun  :P - Come back to me if you can't find it.

I don't know how familiar you are with familysearch but there are 2 sorts of records on there: extracted records and submitted records. Those who are submitted by LDS members (and I see there are some for your family) are sometimes less reliable than the extracted records in as far as you don't know how serious the searcher who has submitted the record is.

The extracted records are copies from the church registers.

Tanja  :)

Tanja,
I posted my last message before reading your last message.
There is NO WAY I could have got to sleep without doing
that search:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JN HOCKING     

Marriages:
     Spouse:     KITTY COURTIS    Family
     Marriage:     
08 AUG 1829      Ladock, Cornwall, England
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Two maiden names in one night. I am blown away.
I love that this woman is Kitty on her marriage
certificate and Kitty as an old woman, because I
know it's the same person (women died a lot in those
days because they kept pumping out babies ).
Still, it is odd that she is Kitty is on the marriage certificate and
on only the last census, yet it is Catherine and Christian
elsewhere. Yet the consistency of the children's names,
John's stone cutting and birthplace, etc., make me feel certain
this is my ancestor.
I appreciate the info about extracted, and how it differs from
submitted info. And I so appreciate all your help.
That said, it is 3am and I need to limp off to bed.
Thank you again for the amazing data!
Warm Regards,
Corny

Hi Corny.  Just doing some research on my Hocking ancestors when I came across your correspondence re. John and Kitty Hocking in 2006.  I don't know if you are still researching but just wanted to let you know that I also am a descendent of Kitty and John Hocking.  They are my great great great great grandparents.  Their daughter Catherine married Richard James in St Enoder.  She is buried in St Stephen in Brannel (known as St Stephens) churchyard which is the parish next to St Enoder.  I was in Cornwall last week on a walking trip and I visited the churchyard.  Catherine and Richard had a son Albert John Hocking James, my great grandfather and his son Walter Richard James was my grandfather and his son Eric Richard James was my Dad.  Small world isn't it.  I guess that makes us some sort of cousin.  I knew that some of the Hockings emigrated but I'm from the branch that stayed in Cornwall.
Regards.
Karen

Offline kkenn15

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nathaniel Hocking
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 15 July 23 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am descended from the William and Elizabeth mentioned in this post. If I am not then I have wasted quite a few years of hard work. I have always assumed that John and William were brothers too. William and Elizabeth migrated to South Australia in 1855 aboard the Victoria Regia. The passenger list has: William 48, mason, St Enoder Cornwall, Elizabeth 45, Sophia 16 servant, Susan 14 servant, Francis 13 (my line), Amy 10, Richard 8, William 6, James 2.
My distant cousins, also descended from this couple, have a Philippa Hicks as William's mother but that marriage date doesn't work. It would mean the eldest daughter, Philippa, is illegitimate but there is no indicate that she was. I think that  Philippa Robarts is a more likely candidate too.
kkenn15