Author Topic: Looking for an old letter (1826)  (Read 918 times)

Offline grosjean545

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for an old letter (1826)
« on: Wednesday 26 February 14 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi everybody,

Once again, I need your help to know where I could find an letter written from Cape Town, in 1826, by the captain of a wrecked ship.

Margaret Parkes & V. M. Williams wrote, in a book called "Knysna the forgotten port" :

"...on 13 March, 1826 the brig "Harmony" was wrecked in the channel on her way out of the port, and under his [ex-Royal Navy Lieutenant John Mackenzie Johnson's] pilotage.  The vessel was taken aback in the narrows in a north-westerly wind near the outer bar.   The pilot boat being insufficiently manned to tow her over to safety, she was left to drift gradually, having failed to let go an anchor, until she struck well and truly on the western rocks, and become a total wreck".   [and further on it says]   "But the Master of the "Harmony", which was unfortunately not insured, wrote from Cape Town to John Rex somewhat bitterly, that he felt that the Government had regarded the disaster in a "very slight manner" ....".

It seems that the authors have read this letter, so I think it could be found somewhere, but I don't know where. I need to read the original letter, so if you can help me, it could be very helpful.

Thank you in advance.
GJ

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for an old letter (1826)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 March 14 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Grosjean, have you considered contacting the publishers of the book and asking them if they would pass your question on to the authors? The authors may well have a copy of the letter in their possession that they are willing to share with you, or be able to tell you who holds it now.

Offline grosjean545

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 March 14 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you for your answer.
I know now where is this letter, but I need some help to look up.
I found reference about this letter in a book :

Rex Family Papers, Folder 27, 1817-1831. Item 198-39. In National Library of South Africa (Cape Town or Pretoria)

If somebody could look-up, it will be very helpful!
Thank you in advance.

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 March 14 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, I can't help you with the look-up as I am based in the UK, but I am sure that someone will be able to help on the South African end. Good luck!

Offline grosjean545

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 April 14 08:01 BST (UK) »
Up... I wrote to "National Library of South Africa", but I have no answer...  :-[
So, I ask for help : if someone have to go to National Library of SA, perhaps you could help me to find this letter...

Thank you in advance.   :)