Author Topic: Mills/Watermills on the Wirral  (Read 17187 times)

Offline Doggy

• RootsChat Member
  • I'll do anything for a scooby snack!
    • View Profile
Re: Mills/Watermills on the Wirral
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 01 December 07 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Celia

Thanks for the websites, it's quite ironic you mentioning about a tourist attraction as I 've just found an entry in Kelly's Directory of 1902 page 594 under Thornton Hough, which shows the family (Joseph and two sons, Arthur & Frederick Joseph) running refreshment rooms and owning boats on Raby Mere?

On my G Grandfather marriage certificate in 1887 it shows Joseph as a retired Miller so it must have closed around that time.

The only watermill I've seen that I can remember is the Laxey Wheel on the Isle of Man.

Doggy

JONES,DRURY,CHESHIRE,LATHAM,EDWARDS North Wales Cheshire.  BOWKER,TOWLER Yorks,Lancs.  WILLIAMSON,GEE Cheshire. HOLMES Staffs. PERKS,LEWIS Salop. TURNER,GRACE,SAGER Lancs. KNAPPY Yorks.BURROUGH somerset.BOWKER,STAHAN Canada
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 24 January 08 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Doggy
thank goodness for search rootschat or i would have been here till sunday ;D I could not remember who was researching Raby Water Mill and & Joseph Williamson.I found you first shot :) The reason i wanted to find you was to tell you that i went to the library to look for a book.I didn't find it ,but i found a small one about the aria of Raby.I gave it a quick flick through and found 2 page with 2 photo's and one sketch.The sketch is of the old water mill in Raby mere and the names Richard Gee & Joseph Williamson were mentioned.
Bells rang in my head then ;D There is also a later photo of the above building but  shows the boats on the river. That building became a tea room.In case you didn't have this info or the photo's i scanned the two page out in the library if you are interested.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 24 January 08 15:43 GMT (UK) »
running refreshment rooms and owning boats on Raby Mere?
Just read your last post ,November,looks like the boats on the river might be his and the man one of the sons :-\

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 25 January 08 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Doggy
thanks for the P.M have now sent the attachments i should have sent them on separate emails.They took ages to go,i hope they are not to big ::)

Celia    P.S. I have looked at what i sent,it is to big, you can see the dots so make it smaller for a better picture
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline Doggy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 25 January 08 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Celia

Great photos and sketch plus the info regarding the mill seems to comply with my findings which is also great news.  Just one thing though, what was the name of the publication you obtained these from, or is it just a local study that somebody has put together for the library?

I have just discovered the postcard of the first photo in a box of old things at my dads.  I'd love to know who the lady is holding the child.  What is quite annoying is that there is no dates to the photos which would help tremendously.

Ah well you can't have everything, it's amazing how this little thread has developed.

Cheers again

Doggy

JONES,DRURY,CHESHIRE,LATHAM,EDWARDS North Wales Cheshire.  BOWKER,TOWLER Yorks,Lancs.  WILLIAMSON,GEE Cheshire. HOLMES Staffs. PERKS,LEWIS Salop. TURNER,GRACE,SAGER Lancs. KNAPPY Yorks.BURROUGH somerset.BOWKER,STAHAN Canada

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 25 January 08 18:38 GMT (UK) »
What is quite annoying is that there is no dates to the photos which would help tremendously.
Funny you should say that because  this morning i went back to library to borrow the book Beyond The bar, and took another look at that book, i turned the page and found some more photo dates included ;D.So 2 more pages to send,I will go and borrow it tomorrow in case anyone else want any photo's from it.I will send page 12/13 homeThese are in thier oridginal size.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 26 January 08 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Doggy

Just one thing though, what was the name of the publication you obtained these from, or is it just a local study that somebody has put together for the library?

The book is Yesterdays wirral no 8 By Ian & Marilyn Boumphrey.One of many books written by the couple,apart from photo's of Raby/Raby Mere.It includes Thornton Hough,Willaston, Brimstage, & Storeton.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline Doggy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 27 January 08 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Celia

Just my luck, it appears that the Yesterdays Wirrall no 8 is out of print  >:(

Doggy

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 27 January 08 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Doggy
did you get the other two pages? re felt a bit miffed :) you must have come under the heading & other kind Folk ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials