Author Topic: McGoohan family Oughterragh  (Read 38874 times)

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Great Grandmother, Susan Allan Welsh,Bervie
    • View Profile
Re: McGoohan family Oughterragh
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 04 March 10 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for getting back to me McGoo.  I will ask loads o questions and try and see if your family and ours are linked.  Unfortunately though I have to go North to Glencoe as an elderly relative is dying so I will be off line for a couple o days.

Take care,
Lynda
Welsh Allan, Wemyss, Caird, McAllister,Gibb, Kincardineshire,
Chisholm, Rew,McDonald,Macdonald, Brechin, McConnachie, Pirie, Welsh, Angus
Gibb, Allan, Ross, Stewart,McRobb, Aberdeenshire,
Horan,  Edinburgh.
Robertson, Penicuik, oodfellow, Hodgson, Birtley,Chester le Street Durham.

Offline colanne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 18:50 BST (UK) »
My family ( McGuckin) came from Leitrim. Edward married Mary Finnegan in 1853? then moved to Scotland (with hisbrother Francis , i think ).
They lived in Edinburgh , recorded as magoohan , mcgowan,mcguchan etc then moved to dundee in 1889?
mcguckins now live in dundee and many other places. I think they are all the same family. irish records often have gookian,etc.

colanne

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.  It is really difficult to say if the families are connected.  However, I am aware that Patricks daughter Mary, c1860 did marry in Dundee.  (Iwas there today).  She married a Patrick Kelly.  I came across this quite by accident one night.  In fact a lot of my McGoohan finds have been by accident.  There seem to be many variations of the way the name has been spelt and I suppose it depended on the person who was scribing the name and information.  Our Patrick had a brother called Edward and he lived and died in Dechmont, West Lothian.  I am going to try and spend some time later this month on the McGoohans and see if I can find out more information.  I am happy to share what I know with you though as I have a fairly comprhensive line of McGoohans.
Kind regards,
Lynda
Horan,  Edinburgh.

Offline Jim I

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 19 April 12 22:21 BST (UK) »
From Dogzilla235:
My great grandmother, Alice McGoohan (dob unknown) married Thomas Richards in Aughavas, Co. Leitrim, 10 May 1886. While I have some information on the couple, a lot of the material is tenuous at best. My great grandfather was probably Protestant as there is family conviction that he changed religion to marry Alice.

Alice's parents were Thomas McGoohan and Alice McGurn, dates unknown. Siblings probably included Daniel and Patrick (b. 1865?) and possibly others. Family stories have Patrick emigrating to the US, where the family name was known as McGowan.

My transcriptions of Aughavas baptisms show the following:
30th April 1854: Mary Magoohan to Thomas Magoohan and Ally Maguire;  Sponsors Michael Maguire and Bridget McCain
18th November 1855: James Magoohan to Thomas Magoohan and Alice Maguire; sponsors James McGovern and Bridget Magauran.
2nd May 1858: Dan Magowan to Thomas Magoohan and Alice Maguire; sponsors Michael Heslin and Mary Maguire
21st July 1861: Thomas Magowan to Thomas Magowan and Ally Maguire; sponsors Arthur Cooke and Mary Heslin
24th June 1863: Catherine Magoohan to Thomas Magoohan and Ally Maguirel sponsors (none given)
8th May 1865: Patrick Magoohan to Thomas Magooham and Ally Maguire; sponsorsMichael Heslin and Bridget Haly.

Offline aughoo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 17 May 12 21:15 BST (UK) »
I have found a bucket of information about Mc Goohans at aughoo east .  The name originally came from Co Down My family is known to have been resetltled there with the Mc Cartans in the 1700s .  The name was orignally thought to be a sub clan of the O Rourkes ,. My ancesstor is Thomas Mc Goohan from Aughoo
My great grandfather

Offline aughoo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 17 May 12 21:27 BST (UK) »
I am noy yhe greatest on the computer but further to the earlier

The original Mc Goohans were resettled in the araea around Ballinamore possibly because of the Clements Family Lord Leitrim and his connections with Co Down
My other ancestors were Daniel , Hubert,( Hugh)[and they lived within  the vicinity of Ballinamore from 1800 or before, there is a family record in Griffiths Valuation, the House of Commons journal and in the state papers for various reasons and I have carried out and written on this subject.  I have a genuine interest in the McGoohan family name and am interested in having a Clan gathering in Ballinamore .  There are so many stories to tell and so much to discover Mick

Offline Rosie May

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 18 May 12 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there - I am also a McGoochan/McGoohan etc.  I originate from London.  My father and Grandfather came from Scotland  but beyond that they came from Ireland.

I have a dear cousin up in Scotland, Lynda, who is much more able to help you than I am so I have sent her an e mail to make her aware of your message.  I am sure she will reply to it shortly .

In the meantime I will follow this thread.

Rosie May ;)
McGoochan/Magoohan/McGoohan/McGowan etc...
Conway
Fitzpatrick
Conroy
McMahon
Carracher
All above Scotland and Ireland

Butler - Lambeth
Maybe Talbot - Kentish Town, London?

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 18 May 12 20:36 BST (UK) »
Well Rosie my dear...e did say Ballinamore about 4 years ago....I am unawqre of this post but it does seem interesting......xx
Horan,  Edinburgh.

Offline aughoo1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 18 May 12 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi to all
I note on the end of one of the posts, the reference to Fitspatrick and Conway . Has anyone O'Rourke as an ancestor or relative , I have researched both and it was with this that the discoveries were made .   My family is related to Fitzpatrick from Mohill and there are some others in USA

I live in Dublin and have access to archival materiel.
 Census information is publically available for 1901 and 1911 and there is an Ellis Island site which has
 p passenger lists, a requirement for any ships Captain, who entered the US using New York as an entry port.

I have been digging for years and will share any info Ive got  Photos are limited other than of my own family

Mick  Aughoo 1