Author Topic: Is this man an officer in French Navy, c. 1870?  (Read 1164 times)

Offline sherro47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is this man an officer in French Navy, c. 1870?
« on: Tuesday 25 March 14 13:30 GMT (UK) »
These two photos, taken by Allan Hughan, were found with my previous photo of the sailors, c. 1870. When Hughan was "rescued" by the French after his shipwreck near Noumea, he waxed lyrical about the wonderful way in which he was treated by the French sailors and officers connected with the ships Surcouf and Gazelle, in particular Captain Vollet and Lieutenant Ternet of the Gazelle, and Captain Trudelle of the Surcouf. I would be so grateful if anyone could tell me if this man is wearing a Naval uniform, in particular one connected with service in the French Navy. I know they were also taken c. 1870, as identified by the type and colour of the backing card used on the cdv(the other was on albumen paper and not glued on to a card).

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: Is this man an officer in French Navy, c. 1870?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 17:29 GMT (UK) »
These two photos, taken by Allan Hughan, were found with my previous photo of the sailors, c. 1870. When Hughan was "rescued" by the French after his shipwreck near Noumea, he waxed lyrical about the wonderful way in which he was treated by the French sailors and officers connected with the ships Surcouf and Gazelle, in particular Captain Vollet and Lieutenant Ternet of the Gazelle, and Captain Trudelle of the Surcouf. I would be so grateful if anyone could tell me if this man is wearing a Naval uniform, in particular one connected with service in the French Navy. I know they were also taken c. 1870, as identified by the type and colour of the backing card used on the cdv(the other was on albumen paper and not glued on to a card).

Yes, he is. I'm no expert, but the uniform is a sort of undress uniform, not a parade uniform. I was hoping to find images of different ranks, but not so. I did find one image of French naval officer Henri Riviere 1827 - 1881. He's wearing an identical uniform but with more sleeve rings. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline sherro47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 March 14 22:37 GMT (UK) »
How brilliant to have it verified that this fellow IS a French officer after years of speculating! Thank you, Regorian. The photograph of Riviere was the only one I could find with similarities also (with the exception of the giant-sized bow tie he was sporting!)

Offline brighamhadley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 March 17 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Dear Sir,
I am searching for an image of the French warship Gazelle Capt. Vollet commanding which was on service in the South Pacific in 1869 -70.
I did find your 2014 posted images of a French Naval Officer who may have been said Captain.
Were you able to identify the man in the two CdVs?
Have you ever searched for and found an image of the Gazelle?
I am working up a talk on the 1869 Sydney (NSW) Port of Call of the USS Kearsarge. The Gazelle was at anchor with the US Ship and Capt. Vollet attended and spoke at a banquet in honor of the US officers.
Any help would be welcome. Thanks B Hadley

Offline sherro47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 March 17 01:46 GMT (UK) »
This image was found with other photos in photographer Allan Hughan's collection. The ships are identified in the bottom right hand corner as being the Gazelle and Surcouf. Please let me know if you would like a copy of the image in a higher resolution. Cheers, Jen

Offline brighamhadley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 March 17 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Dear Jen, Thank you for this and kind offer of better quality image. Yes would like one. How done?
Do you know which ship is the Gazelle? I have not found a description of either. I suspect the Gazelle is the two masted one to left but looking for confirmation.
have you any other leads as to whom of the three officers the image is of?
Was Allan Hughan an ancestor?
I will be giving my talk in Sydney June 13th and in Melbourne the following Tuesday. Please come if you can though it looks like a trek from your home town.
Best, Mick
Connecticut