Author Topic: McNiven Family of Inverfolla, Appin, Argyll  (Read 4763 times)

Offline djocam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McNiven Family of Inverfolla, Appin, Argyll
« on: Monday 30 June 14 08:55 BST (UK) »
I am researching the family of Archibald McNiven b. 1804 d. 1873 of Inverfolla and his children of what seems two different marriages the first to Christina McKeith who it looks like died before 1830 and 2nd wife Ann McKay who died in 1874.

Archibald's occupation was according to the 1841, 1861, 1871 census a Mason.
According to Archibald's death from Scotlands People his parents were Peter McNiven and Christie McLachlan.

Is there a local cemetery at Inverfolla, Appin?  Is anyone able to point me in the right direction in which to find out more about this family please?  Any help most appreciated.

:)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: McNiven Family of Inverfolla, Appin, Argyll
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 June 14 22:15 BST (UK) »
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline djocam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 June 14 22:46 BST (UK) »
This is a bit strange - father Donald but mother Christie McLachlan??

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTJM-7QF

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 June 14 22:46 BST (UK) »
I can see the family in 1861 but cannot relate them to an 1841/51 entry

1861 (MacNiven) for Inverfalla Road Inverfall Croft - all b Appin except wife Ann

Archibald MacNiven 56 mason
Ann  56 b Glasgow
Isabella 23
John  21
William  16

Offline djocam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 June 14 22:54 BST (UK) »
I can see the family in 1861 but cannot relate them to an 1841/51 entry

1861 (MacNiven) for Inverfalla Road Inverfall Croft - all b Appin except wife Ann

Archibald MacNiven 56 mason
Ann  56 b Glasgow
Isabella 23
John  21
William  16

It took me a while to find them in the 1841/51 census - in the 1851 Archibald is AWOL and the entry is for wife Ann with her sons John, Arch, William & Duncan and if you notice that the next entry is for Hugh Carmichael with family...in the 1841 census the family is right above the same Carmichael family (Hugh occupation Tailor and wife Margaret who I think may have been a McNiven)

Offline Grga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 June 18 19:35 BST (UK) »

It took me a while to find them in the 1841/51 census - in the 1851 Archibald is AWOL and the entry is for wife Ann with her sons John, Arch, William & Duncan and if you notice that the next entry is for Hugh Carmichael with family...in the 1841 census the family is right above the same Carmichael family (Hugh occupation Tailor and wife Margaret who I think may have been a McNiven)

I haven't been able to source anything, but a family Tree on MyHeritage says that my great great grandfather, Duncan Carmichael, who was born in Appin around 1816, was the son of Hugh Carmichael and his wife Margaret, whose maiden name was McNiven.

I also found a record from the University of Edinburgh Archives (http://lac-archives-live.is.ed.ac.uk:8081/agents/people/3232), listing an enctry in the notebook of Alexander Carmichael, described thus:

Account of 'Clann 'Ic Illemhicheil' [Carmichaels], collected from Eoghan Mac Illemhicheil [Hugh Carmichael], age 80, Druim-na-moine, Apuinn [Druim-na-moina, Apainn/Appin, Earra-Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] in which he describes the family as being the oldest clan in the area (six hundred years), originating in Annat. He gives a brief account of Alexander's own family, the Barons of Taigh Sgurrain: their descent from the Easbaig Bàn or Fair-haired Bishop, and the loss of their lands to Sir Donald...

So wouldn't I love a ticket to Edinburgh!

Greg
Carmichael, French, Goodes, McMillan, Slade, Waddell, Welch, West

Offline djocam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 June 18 21:50 BST (UK) »

I haven't been able to source anything, but a family Tree on MyHeritage says that my great great grandfather, Duncan Carmichael, who was born in Appin around 1816, was the son of Hugh Carmichael and his wife Margaret, whose maiden name was McNiven.

I also found a record from the University of Edinburgh Archives (http://lac-archives-live.is.ed.ac.uk:8081/agents/people/3232), listing an enctry in the notebook of Alexander Carmichael, described thus:

Account of 'Clann 'Ic Illemhicheil' [Carmichaels], collected from Eoghan Mac Illemhicheil [Hugh Carmichael], age 80, Druim-na-moine, Apuinn [Druim-na-moina, Apainn/Appin, Earra-Ghàidheal/Argyllshire] in which he describes the family as being the oldest clan in the area (six hundred years), originating in Annat. He gives a brief account of Alexander's own family, the Barons of Taigh Sgurrain: their descent from the Easbaig Bàn or Fair-haired Bishop, and the loss of their lands to Sir Donald...

So wouldn't I love a ticket to Edinburgh!

Greg

Wow that is a really great find Greg!  So there may possibly be a connection through the McNiven side, I wonder if you have done any atDNA testing? 
Cheers

Jo