Author Topic: Help with one word on will  (Read 430 times)

Offline kiya

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help with one word on will
« on: Tuesday 19 August 14 19:31 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can decipher the word highlighted on the will please?  It appears twice in my husband's great x4 grandfather's will and relates to his first wife and their son.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Cornwall - Cook, Cowl(e), La(u)nce, Arthur, Honey, Stephens, Welch, Handcock, Holland.  Devon - Frost, Spray, Kellaway, Hamley.  Wales (Carmarthenshire) - Evans. Hertfordshire/Essex - Cakebread. Surrey/Sheffield - Grayson.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with one word on will
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 19:35 BST (UK) »
"reputed" - which may raise other questions....

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kiya

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 19:57 BST (UK) »
Oh!  Yes, I see it now!  Thank you!  And yes, why "reputed"?  Or should I be asking that elsewhere?

The wife in question died prior to the writing of the will (she died 1824, will dated 1839).  Their son was still alive.  The main beneficiary of the will was a lady who he described as being his wife, but "the law may be to the contrary" - they definitely weren't married.
Cornwall - Cook, Cowl(e), La(u)nce, Arthur, Honey, Stephens, Welch, Handcock, Holland.  Devon - Frost, Spray, Kellaway, Hamley.  Wales (Carmarthenshire) - Evans. Hertfordshire/Essex - Cakebread. Surrey/Sheffield - Grayson.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 19:33 BST (UK) »
Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner on this, but I see you and others are getting nicely stuck in to what it might mean. (For anyone who hasn't see it yet, the thread is at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=696645.)

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk