Author Topic: help with photo Gembrook Picnic Victoria  (Read 628 times)

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
help with photo Gembrook Picnic Victoria
« on: Sunday 13 July 14 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
Is anyone able to recognise this photo set amongest ? blue gums or help with any aspect. 
My thoughts are that it is taken in the Gembrook/Emerald area of Victoria.  The 2 girls on the right 1st row standing, both in white and one being held by the other are both most likely to be family members.  This would put the photo about 1900.

Thanks
Blacksmithy
Welsh: Kilbarchan;Canada; New Zealand
MacArthur:North Knapdale
 Weckesser: Germany, Netherands, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia
O'Brien: Australia, New Zealand

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help with photo
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 July 14 06:42 BST (UK) »
Sorry - can't help with the photo unfortunately.

My DYER great-grandfather (John Midlane DYER) moved to Gembrook about 1879 and the family were still there past the middle of last century.  They were farmers and wood clearers and carters.  I had a good look at your photo but couldn't see anyone who looked like my family!

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 July 14 06:51 BST (UK) »
Sorry I can't help with your photo, having no connections to Victoria, but can I say what a fantastic photo!!  is it a family one?  Reason I ask, is that there are so many interesting people in it, and am wondering if it might be a photo taken by a local newspaper or photographer, of what looks like the whole village or half of the town population?  Would it be worthwhile finding out re local newspaper archives or historical associations of the area?

Good luck - Magic photo!!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 10:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Judith for taking a look. 
Good thought Maggbill, I have been in touch with the local historical association and they are keen to have a look.  Unfortunately the family only have copies of a copy so there is no photographer mentioned.  I was delighted with the way the photo scanned up - heaps better than my photocopy that I got in the 1980s!!

Looking forward to any other thoughts
Regards
Blacksmithy
Welsh: Kilbarchan;Canada; New Zealand
MacArthur:North Knapdale
 Weckesser: Germany, Netherands, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia
O'Brien: Australia, New Zealand