Author Topic: Pearson family of Oswaldtwisle/Accrington  (Read 1960 times)

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
Re: Pearson family of Oswaldtwisle/Accrington
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 October 14 12:09 BST (UK) »
Lancsopc have this burial which would tie in with the family moving to Church Kirk
 Burial 19 Dec 1824 St James, Church Kirk, Lancashire, England
Susanna Pearson -
    Age 11 yrs
    Abode Parsonage
    Notes Settled [written in the left hand margin]
    Buried by Daniel Whitle
    Register Burials 1813  184, Page 107 Entry 855
    Source LDS Film 1470823

I have seen this and at the time discarded it considering that this Susannah was the daughter of Edmund and Mary Pearson of Castle Kirk who was also born in 1813 (since the brial record states the abode to be 'Parsonage')
There are just too many Pearsons in the area and since I don't know the name of Susannah's father, the only way I can think of tracing her is by a process of elimination.

There is also a Susannah Pearson the illegitimate daughter of Joanna Pearson but it's not her either since she is still with her mother in 1841 and my g-g-g-granny was married (or not) with children by then.

Poor Thomas, lost his wife and baby sons.  Can anyone see if he died too or is he still around in 1841?

Thanks
Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 October 14 13:35 BST (UK) »
OKBev - so the original Susannah Pearson baptised in St James ,Accrington is still your main research - and you need to find her in a census or a marriage ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 October 14 19:34 BST (UK) »
OKBev - so the original Susannah Pearson baptised in St James ,Accrington is still your main research - and you need to find her in a census or a marriage ?

I have a problem here which is the cause of my big brick wall.
Susannah was 'married' to a George Branson, though I have never been able to find a marriage record for them.
I have found just about all the info I could hope for about George, in good part due to the help of Rootschatters in this thread:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=588007.msg4390723#msg4390723 but Susannah has remained a mystery.  No record of marriage or banns and as far as I can see, none of the children were baptised either.  I don't want to bore you good folk with side issues but  by 1844 Susannah is calling herself Susannah Branson, whether she be legally married or not.

Since I know for a fact that her maiden name was Pearson I have been trying to eliminate the Susan/Susannah Pearsons one by one.  The daughter of Thomas and Anne is the only one I haven't discarded (yet).  If we could find her marrying someone other than George Branson or living happily in Lancashire, I would know that it was back to the drawing board - although I don't think there are any more Susannahs if this one turns out to be the wrong one.

Sorry to be so long winded and thanks again for your help.
Bev
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 October 14 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Bev,

I remember the George Branson thread!

According to the marriage licence of Thomas Pearson and Ann Parkinson he was a Cotton Manufacturer, so possibly the term Spinner on their childrens baptisms was a bit of an understatement. 

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hiya Bev a George Branson marriage - Susannah Preston
have a look at this - could Susannah PRESTON be Susannah Pearson and it has been mistranscribed ?
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/2CH7-BH6
I will try to find Leicestershirebmd marriages and see...
can`t find Lecestershirebmd ?
I will try 1851 census in Barrow upon Soar to see who George Branson is with
ADDED
Struggling here ...can anyone else find out who George Branson married dec qtr 1850 in Barrow upon Soar ?.....or who George Branson is with in 1851 census around Barrow upon Soar ? to see if it is Susannah
...............................from your other post
So here he is in 1861 with his family (in Birmingham St. Martin):

George Branson   55   Labourer b. Upper Clifton, Bucks.
Susannah     46                          b. Blackburn
so in 1850 at the marriage in Barrow upon Soar, Susannah would be 36 = the right age for Susannah   b dec 1813and bap  in St James Accrington ..............it all fits - but DID George Branson marry Susannah Preston ( possibly Pearson ?)in dec qtr 1850 in Barrow upon Soar ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 09:26 BST (UK) »
Thinking .....it`s just occured to me - from your other post
I can't find George in 1851 but then I found this family in 1841 (Aston, Duddeston):

George Branson    35   Builder         born out of county
Mary            36                                      "   "   "
Joseph         6                                  b. Warwickshire
Ann             4                                       "  "  "
Mary            2                                       "   "  "
George            1                                     "  "  "

There is a death registered of a Mary Elizabeth Branson in Aston in December 1842.

so - if that marriage in 1850 was a second marriage for George Branson - was it also a second marriage for Susannah as well ??...maybe her married name was Preston ??
added
found this but no marriage for George and Susannah on it
http://www.leicestershirevillages.com/barrowuponsoar/availablechurchandbu.html

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 12:35 BST (UK) »
I have the birth certificate of George and Susannah's daughter Hannah b. 1844 and the mother is Susannah Branson formerly Pearson.
Since I can't find a marriage, I don't know if they were both first-timers but I think the birth cert. would have said if Susannah had had another surname.

In 1851 George is in Birmingham,  and has been with Susannah for at least 7 years.
Looking at the original document of the 1851 census, her age has been wrongly transcribed and it does in fact fit.

Maybe George was already married to Mary and therefore he never got round to marrying Susannah  ???

In any event my aim in asking for help on the Lancs forum was to see if anyone could spot Susannah in Lancashire.  I am inclined to think that she must be the daughter of Thomas and Anne because of the three Susannah Pearsons I have found, this is the only one I can't rule out!

I am very grateful for your help, this has been a thorn in my tree for years now and not one single tree on Ancestry or anywhere else can provide a mother for Susannah Pearson.

Bev.
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 20 October 14 22:25 BST (UK) »
any relation to the Haworth family - Esther Haworth born 1770 ,wife of Thomas Haworth
from genuki
" She died on 6 August 1837 in Oswaldtwistle, Lancs.1 The address was: Moor Meadow. ... Church Kirk, Lancs."
buried at St James

could Anne ( Parkinson) Pearson have been some relation to the Haworth family ?...

I'm resurrecting this thread because looking through the lancsopc site I have found the following:

Marriage: 28 Feb 1797 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, Lancashire, England
William Parkinson - (X), husbandman, of the parish of Blackburn
Alice Haworth - (X), spinster, of the same parish
    Register: Marriages 1792 - 1797, Page 281, Entry 1123
    Source: Film 1278807

So yes, somewhere there is a connection - I just can't see it at the moment!
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.